Question: 2 sky class suites or 1 - 2 bedroom ATS on deck 10 for 5 adults

Ferramc

Looking for some guidance.  We have the opportunity to change from our booked cabins - CLS deck 17 (me, husband, adult daughter) and GS (son and his wife) to the 2 bedroom ATS on harmony on deck 10. Cost will actually be a little lower if we upgrade. We’ve cruised a lot but never star class which sounds great. Our dilemma is the space issue as son and daughter can get on each other’s nerves.  I’ve seen some ATS pictures on line but they are of deck 8 or 9 cabins, which are bigger.   Any guidance?  Thanks 

The current combination of a loft suite and grand suite will be more space but as you know only sky class.  

With everyone in a ATS 2 bedroom the living area will be shared.  Your daughter would have to sleep on the sofa in the living room.  If she is a late sleeper or someone who likes to go to bed early that could be impactful to everyone else using the shared living room space.  

If you are all a close knit family it could work but on the other hand if your son and his wife or you, your spouse and daughter would appreciate some alone time away from each other then your current setup might work better.  

Star class would be awesome though and includes dining and drink packages.

14 minutes ago, Matt said:

So the question is if your son and daughter in the GS would be "on top of each other"?

14 minutes ago, Matt said:

So the question is if your son and daughter in the GS would be "on top of each other"?

The question is if they would be ‘on top of each other’ in the 2 bedroom ATS. ?

My husband and I would be in master, son and daughter in law in 2nd small bedroom and adult daughter would sleep on couch in living area.  

We initially booked 2 separate suites (sky class)  to avoid any potential issues - but I’m reconsidering due to star benefits.  Thanks. 

In the current setup CLS/GS you have three bathrooms.  Your daughter has her own downstairs, you have the upstairs, son and wife have their own.

In the ATS there will be some bathroom sharing occuring.  

It's one week of your lives.  Can you share somethings to have drinks, dining and everything else star class included plus that huge ATS balcony.  

In my case my family could accept that for the star class benefits but this is a decision only you and your family members can make.

Thanks to all for replies.  Life is about compromises and this is going to be a tough decision - extra privacy/personal space vs extra special treatment.  We love each other, but have learned that there are limits when traveling together. 

Going to make the family vote on this, so it won’t just be my decision.  Thanks again 

If it were me, I would take the ATS for the star class benefits and deal with the tight quarters for a week. 

The ATS suites get smaller as you move up the decks.  The bedrooms are the same size but it's the living area and balcony that gets smaller.  Deck 8 is the largest.  The ATS suites lack the WOW factor of the loft (which you currently have) but the Star class benefits far outweigh the WOW of the loft, IMO.

All that being said, each family has different dynamics.  It is most definitely a tighter squeeze in the ATS, but 5 is not a bad number either.  I know quite a few people who have put more than that into the ATS. 

Like others have mentioned above, decide as a family what matters more, the separation from each other, or the benefits.  And, like @twangster has mentioned, it's one week.  It might make for some pretty awesome memories if anything.  And maybe just ignore my two cents altogether because we're squeezing 14 into the Villa suite! ?

Funny - we have 7 going into a 2BR ATS next month and we had the same concerns.   Granted our sitch is a bit different with 4 boys (6, 9, 11, 12) and 3 adults - but we decided the star class would be worth sorting out sleeping arrangements.    As long as your adult daughter is ok with the couch - is go for it!

We decided to make the switch!  Reading the star class blogs helped us to decide that the amenities would be worth it. We also saved over $1k off cruise fare, not including tips, dining and drink package savings!   Going to use it for a cabana on cocoa beach.   My kids (sorry, no matter how old they’ll always be that to me) said they’ll deal with loss of personal space since everything else will be first class.  

Now we just have to wait til 5/10/20 to get here!

While they still have some leftover sibling issues, they knew it would save me some money (I’m paying for them) and that  I really wanted to try star class. They are thoughtful kids/adults, even if they don’t always get along.

I also think the idea of being able to eat at the specialty restaurants and try everything as often as they could want, really helped.  Even more than the idea of free drinks!

Finally, I told them the TA could only hold the cabin for 1 day so they had to let me know today.  No over analyzing (for me as much as for them).  

We know we’re going to have some challenges, so we’re going to try and be extra careful to make it work. My plan is to go find a quiet spot by myself if they end up arguing.  ?

One other thing - we haven’t cruised with them in over 15 years and back then it was the 4 of us in inside cabins on older ships. So this will be an amazing experience for them and they really do appreciate the chance to travel with us.    Good luck with your family decision making! 

Re: being ruined.  Yep.  Husband and I did our 1st GS 2 years ago on Harmony - we both agreed no way could we go back.  This year we did GS on symphony. Harmony in 2020 will be 1st star experience - not sure we will always be able to go that way no matter how much we like it, but who knows what the future holds. 

I’ll agree that the switch to Star Class and the perks will be a great trade off for the change in sleeping arrangements/shared space.  

As far as the sibling in-fighting it gives you one more “distraction” with Star Class.  Anytime you see things seem to be escalating just ask “Do you think we should ask (insert genie’s name) to (get us some/arrange reservations for)?