Flights to Cape Liberty

arebee

2 minutes ago, ellcee said:

JFK and LGA are my home airports. LGA is never recommended unless necessary. They’re doing a ton of work and getting in and out of there can be rough. If you can do Newark another +1 for Newark. 

Do you mean traffic getting in/out of LGA? 

Asking because in July we are cruising out of Cape Liberty again and staying one night in Manhattan pre-cruise. I was looking to fly into LGA and then going home from EWR. Or should we just do DTW-EWR round trip?

1 minute ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Do you mean traffic getting in/out of LGA? 

Asking because in July we are cruising out of Cape Liberty again and staying one night in Manhattan pre-cruise. I was looking to fly into LGA and then going home from EWR. Or should we just do DTW-EWR round trip?

Yup! They’re in the middle of a renovation that is taking years. Depends on the time of day and day of week. If the prices are best from LGA then just plan for extra traffic time.  

I fly LGA quite a bit. Actually leaving for Dallas tomorrow. Because it’s a Friday evening flight we’re leaving ridiculously early. It’s only about 25 minutes away but we’re leaving hours ahead of time in case of bad traffic. 

18 minutes ago, ellcee said:

Yup! They’re in the middle of a renovation that is taking years. Depends on the time of day and day of week. If the prices are best from LGA then just plan for extra traffic time.  

It is quite a bit cheaper to fly into LGA and we figured that was closer to Manhattan. It would be on a Tuesday arriving around noon. Going home, I would leave from EWR. Sorry about the thread hijack @arebee ?

10 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

It is quite a bit cheaper to fly into LGA and we figured that was closer to Manhattan.

Distance-wise, LGA and JFK might be closer (they're located in Queens). But in terms of traffic I would say it's faster to get to Manhattan from EWR. About a 40-minute drive outside of rush hour via the Lincoln Tunnel and you're right in mid-town. My two times going to JFK (both on a weekend) it was closer to 90 minutes just to get from the airport to Manhattan because of the traffic.

Newark is not only the best airport for the port, it's often the best airport for Manhattan as well. Keep in mind, all three area NYC airports are trash...but Newark is pretty much the least trash. 

14 hours ago, FionaMG said:

Thanks for asking this, OP.

We are thinking about doing the same thing as you but with a pre-cruise stay in NY. Does that make a difference? Is Newark still the best option, or into JFK and out of Newark perhaps?

If you're staying in Manhattan, I usually still would pick Newark. If you're staying east (Brooklyn/Queens/Long Island City), JFK might be better. 

14 hours ago, Sweety said:

SWA doesn't fly into Newark as of November 2019. We have to fly into LGA next year.

You could always take a different airline and fly in to EWR. Even if you like Southwest, the pain of flying in to LGA and having to get all the way across the city to the port must simply be worse than just flying a different airline for a couple hours from wherever you are in Illinois...

14 hours ago, Sweety said:

SWA doesn't fly into Newark as of November 2019. We have to fly into LGA next year.

You're going to be pretty far, and it'll be expensive to get to Cape Liberty from LGA.  Keep in mind rush hour traffic, depending on your flight time.  

Manhattan is a quick train ride from Newark.  Manhattan is not a quick train ride from JFK or LGA.  

JetBlue is usually a decent choice for flying into Newark.  We are annoyed SW stopped flying from here, so we're trying out PHL in December to see what that's like.  Otherwise, it's back to Jet Blue for us! 

I always opt for EWR when flying in for anything NYC related.  It's super easy to get transportation into the city (trains) without having to use vehicles whereas LGA and JFK are not easy at all to get to without relying on some form of surface street transportation (rideshare/cab/bus/walking).

For OP, I really enjoyed my Anthem Canada/New England trip out of Cape Liberty.  Everything about that port was a breeze. 

Doing Brillance in October 2020 out of Boston for the same itinerary..in fact it's one of this blog's group cruises! https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/event/royalcaribbeanblogcom-cruise-aboard-brilliance-of-the-seas