cash account

BigBrust

I don't know the answer to your specific question,  but if it's any help you don't actually have to deposit anything at check-in. You get $300 credit on cash accounts on short cruises and $500 on cruises of 7 or more nights before you have to pay anything. Payments on board would be made at Guest Services.

20 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

I don't know the answer to your specific question,  but if it's any help you don't actually have to deposit anything at check-in. You get $300 credit on cash accounts on short cruises and $500 on cruises of 7 or more nights before you have to pay anything. Payments on board would be made at Guest Services.

Thank you Fiona!  So, if you reach the $500 limit, you would have to go pay that and then your limit would go back to $500?  

Just now, BigBrust said:

Thank you Fiona!  So, if you reach the $500 limit, you would have to go pay that and then your limit would go back to $500?  

Yes that's right. They actually shut down your seapass card when you reach the limit so you literally can't spend another dime after that! It's worth keeping tabs on your spending either by using the interactive TV in your stateroom or on the app, if the ship you are sailing on has it. That way, when you see you're getting close to the limit, you can pick a time to go to Guest Services that's not so busy, rather than waiting till the very last moment and perhaps encountering a long line.

Also, expect to receive almost daily printed reminders in your stateroom and messages on your interactive TV, but you can basically ignore them. 

No deposit required at check-in.  The spend limit is $300 or $500 depending on the length of the cruise.  You can go up to Guest Services at any point and add cash to pay down your balance. 

You can go at any point and put down a card to use for your onboard account as well..but they WILL pre-authorize the card if you do this before the end of the cruise and the hold does remain until Royal closes it out at the end of the cruise.  And then the pending charge has to fall off on your card servicer's schedule.  Because of this I advise against attempting to pay off with a debit card

The first time we checked in online, I was somehow changed to cash payment while my husband had our credit card listed for him.  This was on an 8 night cruise on Adventure when online check in was brand new and we were required to go through the terminal check in anyway.  The discrepancy was noted at that time and “corrected.”  Near the end of the cruise, we received a letter in the cabin stating our account balance was $350 and we would need to make a cash payment once the balance reached $500.  I went to Guest Services where the credit card was added yet again.  It actually worked that time, but was an interesting learning experience should we ever decide to actually set up a cash account.