Escape Room

Ruth

Would you please share with me which ships have or will have an escape room on board?  Also, is there a cost/fee for this activity?  One last question, is there a fee ripcord/ifly on Ovation of the seas (how many times can you do this experience (everyday, as much as you want, once during the cruise)?

Thank you so very much for your help :-)

Harmony has an Escape Room. I believe the other Oasis Class ships also have them. There is a cost of $20/person. You can do it as many times as you want to pay, but the scenario/clues do not change. I would advise booking this activity in the Cruise Planner as soon as it's available. Spots fill up quickly and were completely filled by the morning of Day 2 on our cruise last month.

2 hours ago, Ruth said:

Would you please share with me which ships have or will have an escape room on board?  Also, is there a cost/fee for this activity?  One last question, is there a fee ripcord/ifly on Ovation of the seas (how many times can you do this experience (everyday, as much as you want, once during the cruise)?

Thank you so very much for your help ?

On our Harmony cruise in May, the Escape Room couldn't be booked until about 2 weeks before our departure.  Not sure if that was normal or not.  So check Cruise Planner, but if it isn't there now, don't panic. 

There's two types of escape rooms. Dedicated escape rooms and "pop up" escape rooms.

Ships with dedicated escape rooms, where there is a specific room that only does escape rooms. This costs money:

• Symphony
  • Mariner
  • Navigator
  • Harmony
  • Oasis (as of November 2019)
  • Independence

There's also "pop up" escape rooms, where they can do it in a lounge. This is complimentary Ships with this are:

• Anthem
  • Ovation
  • Brilliance
  • Serenade
  • Harmony (it has both)

I'm wondering if anyone going to the Escape Room alone.

I'll be on Navigator with my 73 year old mom. I'm very sure she's not interested in Escape Room. Is it possible for me to go alone? Would it be awkward while other players are in groups?

So as Laser Tag. I don't know how it's gonna be, but I really wanna play.

14 minutes ago, zillono said:

Hi, you book a date/time for the escape room and you will be paired with others who booked for the same time.

Normally the escape room runs with 12 people. We booked for 2 on Independence and were paired up with other families who we did not know.

10 hours ago, spiralqueen said:

Do you still need to sign up ahead of time for the pop up complimentary escape rooms?

No, these are held similar to a trivia event, where it's in a bar and anyone can join in

11 hours ago, zillono said:

Escape room games are played with random people from the cruise.

6 minutes ago, Jolly Ogre said:

How hard are these? Is there a way to make them more advanced?

I did one with some friends and it only took about 10 min. Very much a let down.

I don't know about the ones on the ship, but for a normal escape room, your description is very unusual.  Every room I've done gives you one hour and is designed so that not every group will be able to finish in that time.  (You know, so you'll pay to try again!)  Once you've done a few, you recognize certain common types of puzzles which can help your group's success rate.)  My friends and I usually take about 50 minutes to complete an escape room.

However, even if I knew where every clue was located, I don't think I could physically complete all the tasks in 10 minutes.  Usually you have to find keys that unlock new sections of the room but every time you find a key, you have to figure out which lock it goes to.  And each key generally requires some sort of puzzle/logic to retrieve.  Sometimes you can do certain tasks out of order and then get stuck because you missed something you were supposed to find earlier.  Does any of that describe the room you tried?

30 minutes ago, Jolly Ogre said:

I did one with some friends and it only took about 10 min. Very much a let down.

These are pretty difficult.  Even if you pass, it will take you at least 40 mins or so.

1 hour ago, Atlantix2000 said:

I don't know about the ones on the ship, but for a normal escape room, your description is very unusual.  Every room I've done gives you one hour and is designed so that not every group will be able to finish in that time.  (You know, so you'll pay to try again!)  Once you've done a few, you recognize certain common types of puzzles which can help your group's success rate.)  My friends and I usually take about 50 minutes to complete an escape room.

However, even if I knew where every clue was located, I don't think I could physically complete all the tasks in 10 minutes.  Usually you have to find keys that unlock new sections of the room but every time you find a key, you have to figure out which lock it goes to.  And each key generally requires some sort of puzzle/logic to retrieve.  Sometimes you can do certain tasks out of order and then get stuck because you missed something you were supposed to find earlier.  Does any of that describe the room you tried?

50 minutes ago, Matt said:

These are pretty difficult.  Even if you pass, it will take you at least 40 mins or so.

Ok? I hope so. Or I could also do it drunk, that might be better time of it. But my wife does not like it when I am like that as I laugh to much.

The last time I did it was with my friends and we all have advanced degrees one is a college prof, one is a Ph.D and one is a D.O. and we had some nurse friends along too.

17 hours ago, zillono said:

I'll be on Navigator with my 73 year old mom. I'm very sure she's not interested in Escape Room. Is it possible for me to go alone? Would it be awkward while other players are in groups?

So as Laser Tag. I don't know how it's gonna be, but I really wanna play.

I went by myself on Symphony and had a great time. There were some groups & couples but also a couple singles.

20 hours ago, F1guynz said:

Hi, you book a date/time for the escape room and you will be paired with others who booked for the same time.

Normally the escape room runs with 12 people. We booked for 2 on Independence and were paired up with other families who we did not know.

5 hours ago, Matt said:

Escape room games are played with random people from the cruise.

3 hours ago, Chonseylee said:

I went by myself on Symphony and had a great time. There were some groups & couples but also a couple singles.

Thanks for all your replies!
I'm an extreme introvert and usually do better by myself, but I guess I'm gonna give it a try anyway, coz that's what this trip is all about - trying new things :-)

5 minutes ago, zillono said:

I'm an extreme introvert and usually do better by myself, but I guess I'm gonna give it a try anyway, coz that's what this trip is all about - trying new things ?

When we did the Escape Room on Harmony this last May, we did complete it, but it took us 55 minutes.  The RC staff member told us only about 40% complete it within the 1 hour allotted.  There are certainly some puzzles that require multiple people to work together simultaneously to accomplish the task (one required 6 people!).  There is no way you could do Harmony's Escape Room by yourself without additional bodies in the room, so you absolutely have to communicate and work together as a group.

Booking this activity was very tedious.  It didn't appear in the cruise planner until about 30 days out (everything else became available in the planner at 107 days out), and filled up VERY quickly.  It became sold out with a week of appearance in the planner.  When it was initially released, it was available most every day of the cruise, and several times a day (5 or 6 if I recall correctly), so there was many slots daily that could be filled, and they all did fill rather quickly within just a few days of release for booking.

Overall, it was a lot of fun, and everyone in our group really enjoyed it!  I highly recommend doing it if you have the opportunity!

On 10/31/2019 at 12:44 PM, Jolly Ogre said:

We were the first group out of 8 that finished under the hour mark. Took us 56 minutes on Mariner last weekend. 

• 2 months later...

@spiralqueen....we did the pop up room on Anthem.  Never saw it listed in the cruise planner and never mentioned in the Cruise Compass.   We asked about it as soon as we got on board to reserve other on-board activities (thank you RC Blog and podcast (@Matt)  for THAT tip!). 

Our family of 4 was paired up with 8 other people.   Fun for all. 

2 hours ago, Va4fam said:

@spiralqueen....we did the pop up room on Anthem.  Never saw it listed in the cruise planner and never mentioned in the Cruise Compass.   We asked about it as soon as we got on board to reserve other on-board activities (thank you RC Blog and podcast (@Matt)  for THAT tip!). 

Our family of 4 was paired up with 8 other people.   Fun for all. 

Ohh ok good to know! Did you go to one of the kiosks they have set up when you board? I haven't been on a Quantum class ship yet so I don't know their exact set up for reservations. 

Hi all!  We sailed on the Navigator June, 2019 and did its escape room - and LOVED it!  We are huge escape room fans and have done several in our area as well as in Orlando.  We are sailing on the Independence in May, 2020 and I'm wondering if it's the same room?  They both have the same name - so this may be a silly question - which forgive me, LOL.  I would think it silly to be the same.  Thanks in advance for your helpl.

• 2 years later...

There is an Escape Room on the Harmony so I really hope we can schedule it.  I looked and it is not available to book now so I figure we will just do it on board or maybe with the app as soon as we get on board.  I'm not sure of the ages to play but I would think that 14 year olds would be able to participate.  Sure hope so, as my youngest grand is 14.  Also, I wonder if all 8 of use could do it as the same time.