Price discrepancy

Apatt08

Hey ya'll, been reading a lot about price adjustments and I have a couple questions.  I booked a cruise almost 2 years ago, we are set to sail in 73 days on Indy.  There were 3 rooms booked and 1 family has decided that they can not go on the cruise so they forfeited their deposit and gave up the room.  I got an email today saying there is a huge sail going on with kids sail free.  I went on Royal Caribbean and priced out the room that was forfeited, even was able to select it from the cruise diagram and that room is now $815 cheaper then my room was for the same occupancy.  

So, what the heck?  Can I get a price adjustment now that mine it paid in full and we are over the "must pay off" date?  I am a little annoyed with this! 

You can reprice....but since your final payment date has passed, you would have to pay a cancellation penalty so the savings you would get on the repricing may not be enough to cover the cancellation fee.  If you booked through a travel agent, I would ask them to look into it for you and see if it would "pay" to cancel and rebook at this point.  If you booked directly with Royal, call them and have them look into it for you.  It rarely pays to try and reprice after final payment date but sometimes it does.  

The other option you might consider is sometimes after final payment date, you can upgrade to a better room category with little or no additional money.  This is where a TA really comes in handy.  There may be a way for you to upgrade since those higher cabin categories are now cheaper than they were.

A number of years ago, Royal announced that they were no longer going to reduce the price of cabins after final payment date had passed.  They actually stuck by that for a while but I think they have now reverted back to lowering the price on unsold cabins after final payment. It can be very annoying for those of us (and you !) who purchased waaay back and have the cabins go down to a lower price right at the end.  It's the nature of the industry.

The best advice here is to try not to dwell on what you could have saved if you had waited to book and focus on the fact that you were happy to pay what you are paying for what you are getting.

I would look at upgrades though, I just moved up from standard Oceanview to panoramic Oceanview because the price for the better room had fallen below what i was paying for the lesser room.

I try to look at it as "i got to pick the room i wanted and now i get a better room for the price i would have been happy to pay". It does feel sucky in some ways but it beats waiting for the price to fall and then not getting on the cruise at all ? !!