Locks on your suitcases you check in

Unlike the TSA, they will not open suitcases in your absence. Instead, they will X-ray your suitcase, and if something suspicious is found, they'll hold your suitcase near the security office (in what is colloquially called "The Naughty Room"), have you come down, and you'll open your suitcase in front of them. Any contraband will be confiscated (and generally returned at the end of the cruise).

My friend had his suitcase held there due to a bottle of wine. Once they confirmed it was just wine and not a prohibited alcohol (like liquor), they let him have it.

I have had my luggage opened and items removed without my approval.   They left a note, signed by two personnel, in the suitcase itemizing each item that they confiscated and where I could retrieve my stuff at the end of the cruise.   Don't lock your luggage...they will open it if they want to, whether you are present or not.    It really wasn't a big deal....a clothes steamer and an extension cord.  

It seems that they have a policy and like so many other policies sometimes they follow it, and sometimes they do not follow it. So you can get called to  watch the inspection or it can happen without you being present. I do not have a problem with this as they may need to change how done based upon why and when the search is being gone. 

If the think you have beer in your luggage vs. believing you have weapons it would call for two completely different searches. In the second case I want to open without the passenger present. But I still lock all my bags with locks and  sometimes add zip ties (Colored) to make the bag easy to ID and to know if it has been opened.  I don't know to many security checks that have powder blue or red zip ties, so if they open they cannot replace. With only zip ties anyone can open, security, a porter, cabin attendant, etc, so I think locks are safer.

If Royal wants to look in my baggage they can ask me to unlock, or if they believe it is unsafe to have me unlock break it. But at that point if they find nothing inside the bag they will be paying for the lock. 

We use Zip ties and/or built in locks on ours as well. Especially for disembarkation while they sit in the hall for hours with no one around. If they need inside during check in they will usually call you. We have visited the holding room several times. Once they verify there is nothing prohibited inside they will usually deliver it to your room for you. It's a simple process, but watch out for the drunken grandpa or Barbie wife, they tend to get a bit pissy when being told no and their stuff is removed!

You can get TSA approved locks. Amazon has them. I use them for both air and sea. If they need to get in, they have the TSA key. It keeps the baggage handlers out of your stuff.

I used these locks in the past but like so many other things they really only keep the honest out of your luggage. If you go online you can purchase master TSA Lock Keys for a few dollars. So while you may save money not having locks cut by TSA the security level is questionable.

TSA-2-promo.jpg