MDR FAREWELL PERFORMANCE?

One more week we'll be on Navigator for our first cruise. I've already made MTD reservation at MDR for the last night, hopefully to catch the farewell performance. As first time cruisers, my mom and I would be thrilled to experience it. But as I was doing research online, I saw someone mentioned some cruises stop doing it already coz people really hate it and find it annoying and awkward. 

Does anyone know whether MDR staff on Navigator still do farewell performance on the last night? 

If they do, what time the performance will take place? Does 8 pm reservation sound good?

Thank you ?

5 hours ago, emsff02 said:

We were on Navigator, and had the early traditional seating and it was done. I would assume they would do it for the later seating as well, so you will probably be fine. You can always check with the dining manager when on board.

Thanks!

It looks so much fun in the videos. it'll be a great way to finish off the last dinner of the trip.

• 1 month later...

I appear to be in the minority here, but I find the MDR "Farewell Performance" to be an annoyance rather than something to anticipate. It slows down the service at the end of the meal - on no other night do I have to wait to have a beverage glass refilled or for my dessert to be served. If it was entertaining, it might be a minor inconvenience. Since I find it to not be so, it is an unreasonable intrusion on my dining experience.

56 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

I appear to be in the minority here, but I find the MDR "Farewell Performance" to be an annoyance rather than something to anticipate. It slows down the service at the end of the meal - on no other night do I have to wait to have a beverage glass refilled or for my dessert to be served. If it was entertaining, it might be a minor inconvenience. Since I find it to not be so, it is an unreasonable intrusion on my dining experience.

When we were still dining in the MDR I found this event to be disruptive too.  Never cared for it and don’t miss it now that we avoid the MDR.

O

1 hour ago, HeWhoWaits said:

We were just standing up to leave when it started up on our last cruise. We had no idea what to do, so we sat back down. I wish we put our heads down and continued out.

2 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

Get ready to twirl your napkins in the air twice.

Great, food being flung off napkins twice.  

Think about it.  I eat food.  Crumbles fall into my napkin from my mouth or fork as I am eating or I wipe my mouth using my napkin.  Next I fling my napkin in circles to ensure my food lands on your plate at the next table over.  As you continue to eat you are now eating my left over food.  Yuck.  

More reasons to avoid the MDR...

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Great, food being flung off napkins twice.  

Think about it.  I eat food.  Crumbles fall into my napkin from my mouth or fork as I am eating or I wipe my mouth using my napkin.  Next I fling my napkin in circles to ensure my food lands on your plate at the next table over.  As you continue to eat you are now eating my left over food.  Yuck.  

More reasons to avoid the MDR...

As a solo cruiser I use the extra napkin on my table for the twirling.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Great.  Now that is all I'm going to think about.  Gross!

During the performance I can't help but think about my college days waiting tables.  For a customer's birthday we would stop everything and all go sing Happy Birthday.  It always seemed to take place at the busiest time.  As I was singing with a smile I couldn't help but think of everything else I needed to do.  I still say being a server was one of the hardest jobs I had. I wonder how the wait staff feel about the performance?  As always....service with a smile!

I understand most of the stuff surrounding the "farewell performance" but I have to say that I really do not enjoy it as well.  I would appreciate it a lot more they would stand at the entrance/exit somewhere after most have been served and allow you to say something on the way out.  Or find a better way, I do appreciate them and what they do for us while we are onboard but I do not appreciate it whatsoever.