onboard communication

johnjr

You're referring to a loophole with Royal Caribbean's internet that some people with Apple devices have found on some ships with the iMessage functionality.

The ability to text is not an advertised feature/perk Royal Caribbean touts. So the option may or may not be there for your sailing.

2 hours ago, Matt said:

You're referring to a loophole with Royal Caribbean's internet that some people with Apple devices have found on some ships with the iMessage functionality.

The ability to text is not an advertised feature/perk Royal Caribbean touts. So the option may or may not be there for your sailing.

@Matt I believe @johnjr is referring to the RC app that does have a chat feature and used a free wifi network onboard the ship. This RC app also allows you to make dinning and show reservations as well as see the daily compass online.

If you view the application notes in the digi store (iTunes) it lists the ships the app is supposed to be available; however it does state features vary from ship to ship.  On iTunes it lists 18 ships where the app is available. I guess to confirm the chat feature we need past voyagers to chime in to confirm. On a separate thread on person wrote that to see text/chat you have to open the app, so no real notification like typical text/chat apps. I'm cruising over the Xmas holidays so I'll post my experience with the app.

On 10/27/2019 at 8:13 AM, johnjr said:

Is it true that you can text other people onboard using RC app and guest wifi without buying internet package? thanks

We were able to use the chat feature on the Harmony on a cruise this May, but I believe the issue is that you don't receive alerts.  You need to check for messages, which you would likely do if you are trying to locate a fellow traveler.  See notes by @MikeSD