Diamond lounge dress code?

I made diamond last cruise but never went into the diamond lounge because I’m not sure of the dress code. I figure during the evening activities slacks and a polo would be required but during the afternoon would it be against etiquette to go in wearing shorts and t shirt. Not bathing suites but khaki shorts and t shirt, walking around the ship attire. TIA for your advice. 

Yes, your assumptions are correct.  You will find some people in shorts in the evenings but you will also find some people complaining to the diamond lounge concierge about that.  I find it funny that you can wear a goofy looking suit or silly Hawaiian shirt and you are good but the second you have shorts on in the DL someone has an issue.  

We all paid our way to get there, its usually HOT up there because of the number of people and the windows so let us vacation is what i say!

4 hours ago, Sparkymedic said:

I made diamond last cruise but never went into the diamond lounge because I’m not sure of the dress code. I figure during the evening activities slacks and a polo would be required but during the afternoon would it be against etiquette to go in wearing shorts and t shirt. Not bathing suites but khaki shorts and t shirt, walking around the ship attire. TIA for your advice. 

In addition to what has been said, on formal nights there is an effort to dress nicely, and on the Harmony they checked IDs outside the Diamond Lounge.

I once was kicked out of the Diamond Lounge for wearing shorts! I took it as a badge of honor.

The story is I walked in and the DL host took me aside and very, very kindly explained one guest complained about another guest wearing shorts and then summarily asked me to leave. I laughed it off.

On short cruises like the 3/4 night Florida cruises they seem to be less stringent about shorts in the evening in the DL.

On Majesty recently half of the pinnacles during happy hour were in shorts and whatever t-shirt they wore that day.  

I think on longer cruises they can tend to be more picky about a dress code in the DL but honestly "smart casual" is pretty easy to accomplish.    My shorts are hiking shorts with zip on legs that I zip on for happy hour then zip off after.  Easy, smart and casual.  A polo shirt and I'm done.  

Over the last couple of years the dress in the lounges has gotten really really bad and from some of the aforementioned comment they were some of the offenders.. Its Smart Casual.  But Royal isn't and hasn't done anything to stop or slow it down. On our last cruise we had multicable adults and teenagers in the lounge during the evening in swim wear, bare feet… Yes we are all on vacation but we should be able to honor the rules and accept that the lounges aren't your living room!!!!

On 10/26/2019 at 2:01 PM, cookie10* said:

Its Smart Casual.

Do you really think you can get everyone to agree what that actually means?  I've got a very professional job, but my standard office attire is jeans and a "nice" shirt.  Smart casual is supposed to be more relaxed than what you wear to the office right?  I'll never understand why some people think they get to control how others dress especially on vacation.  If I ever make Diamond, I promise to laugh at anyone that tells me I'm not dressed "right" in the lounge.

On 10/25/2019 at 5:23 PM, marti314 said:

Yes, your assumptions are correct.  You will find some people in shorts in the evenings but you will also find some people complaining to the diamond lounge concierge about that.  I find it funny that you can wear a goofy looking suit or silly Hawaiian shirt and you are good but the second you have shorts on in the DL someone has an issue.  

We all paid our way to get there, its usually HOT up there because of the number of people and the windows so let us vacation is what i say!

Just last night there were 2 older couples dressed in “80 days around the world” type costumes. Very elaborate and it’s not a Halloween cruise. 

Other than that, there were jeans but didn’t see shorts at night. 

This was on 3 night Mariner