RCB Group Cruise 2020 Questions?

12thman

People have mentioned better rates and a better refund policy for group cruises. I sent a request for info Form from this website, and got back a quote that was the same as the RC website. When I asked about the refund policy, I got an email back that didn’t address my question. Can anyone clarify for me - is it still an option of refundable vs nonrefundable deposit with the same cancellation policies, or is it different?

4 minutes ago, sleepy425 said:

People have mentioned better rates and a better refund policy for group cruises. I sent a request for info Form from this website, and got back a quote that was the same as the RC website. When I asked about the refund policy, I got an email back that didn’t address my question. Can anyone clarify for me - is it still an option of refundable vs nonrefundable deposit with the same cancellation policies, or is it different?

The group cruises that I've booked have been refundable deposits, with fares lower than listed on the website (but I've booked them close to the announcement dates - not sure if that makes a difference). The prices on the website are for nonrefundable deposits (unless you go through the entire process of entering your names/DOBs, etc and add in the refundable deposit fee).  So if the refundable price they are quoting you is less than the nonrefundable rate  you are seeing on the website, then it's a deal.

27 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

The group cruises that I've booked have been refundable deposits, with fares lower than listed on the website (but I've booked them close to the announcement dates - not sure if that makes a difference). The prices on the website are for nonrefundable deposits (unless you go through the entire process of entering your names/DOBs, etc and add in the refundable deposit fee).  So if the refundable price they are quoting you is less than the nonrefundable rate  you are seeing on the website, then it's a deal.

She quoted me refundable and non refundable quotes that match up the same as the website.  When I questioned that I thought one of the benefits of a group cruise was a different refund policy, she responded back that the benefit was meeting people and group activities.  

26 minutes ago, sleepy425 said:

She quoted me refundable and non refundable quotes that match up the same as the website.  When I questioned that I thought one of the benefits of a group cruise was a different refund policy, she responded back that the benefit was meeting people and group activities.  

Which GC were you pricing out? It could be that they sold out of the group rates already. That can happen. They only block a certain number of cabins for the group with a group rate and if those are gone, you pay prevailing rates. That is my understanding. If it’s for Brilliance, that sailing has been up for a while and group rates could be gone. The person to really ask here is @AnnetteJackson.

1 minute ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Which GC were you pricing out? It could be that they sold out of the group rates already. That can happen. They only block a certain number of cabins for the group with a group rate and if those are gone, you pay prevailing rates. That is my understanding. If it’s for Brilliance, that sailing has been up for a while and group rates could be gone. The person to really ask here is @AnnetteJackson.

Yes it’s Brilliance. I emailed Annette last night asking for her to clarify, but the last post I saw here said she was at an airport so I assumed she’s away for a little bit. 

1 hour ago, sleepy425 said:

If you are booking under a group rate, then usually it's refundable.  MEI won't have group rates for every single cabin category, so if you requested a cabin they don't have a group rate for, you'll get the same rate as you see online.  

5 minutes ago, KathyC said:

If you are booking under a group rate, then usually it's refundable.  MEI won't have group rates for every single cabin category, so if you requested a cabin they don't have a group rate for, you'll get the same rate as you see online.  

This makes sense. I’m sure Annette will clear it up once she’s available. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn’t misunderstanding things - I was interested in booking because of the possibility of a better rate and better refund policy. I’m not positive we can do an October cruise and won’t know for a little bit, so this seemed like a great way to possibly book one. When I brought that up to the agent I would have understood if she replied with your answer, but when she told me the benefits were meeting people and group activities I thought maybe I was cracking up. 

19 hours ago, sleepy425 said:

When I questioned that I thought one of the benefits of a group cruise was a different refund policy, she responded back that the benefit was meeting people and group activities.  

Being in a group, there is not any special refund policy (that I'm aware of anyway).

I'd say in terms of pricing, the benefits of a group cruise are if we hold a specific room category long enough, prices outside group tend to go up while group rates are locked in.

But Annette is right that the primary reason to book a group cruise is to be a part of the fun and meet everyone onboard.

On 1/5/2020 at 2:22 PM, sleepy425 said:

Hey there,

Your MEI Agent can quote you either rate.  Some people in the group will be booked a nonrefundable rates and others will be a refundable - all depends on the client.  We quote you both ways so you can see the difference in pricing and decide which rate works best for you.  I can say that @Matt doesnt book group cruises a non refundable rates.  He prefers (as do I) to have refundable and then as we get closer we can compare to see if close to final payment the nonrefundable rate works in his favor.  That $100 Penalty per person will stop most people from the small savings with this rate.

55 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Holy cats - I'm glad I got a promotion at work because the airfares to Boston from Mpls are high! I'm hoping they come down, but really, what are the chances?

Probably a bit far out to be looking..I am noticing that the sweet spot for booking airfare has been getting closer and closer to the fly date for routes I have been monitoring.

41 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Probably a bit far out to be looking..I am noticing that the sweet spot for booking airfare has been getting closer and closer to the fly date for routes I have been monitoring.

Probably true. Some of the flights are marked "sold out" for many of the flights already (all in the basic fare, which I can't do because I can't choose my seats and I need to sit  next to my husband because he has flight phobia). so I start getting a little nervous.

19 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Probably true. Some of the flights are marked "sold out" for many of the flights already (all in the basic fare, which I can't do because I can't choose my seats and I need to sit  next to my husband because he has flight phobia). so I start getting a little nervous.

Dont forget about Royals air program as well.  You can book refundable air and pay for it at final payment time.  It can be cancelled at anytime up until final payment.  It could give you a better rate - or at least a rate you would consider booking at while you shop for air.

8 minutes ago, AnnetteJackson said:

Dont forget about Royals air program as well.  You can book refundable air and pay for it at final payment time.  It can be cancelled at anytime up until final payment.  It could give you a better rate - or at least a rate you would consider booking at while you shop for air.

Thanks!  I have been looking at it, but the prices have been higher than what I see on the airline sites.  But I totally forgot that they could be canceled, so I'm definitely going to go back and  look again - that's not a bad strategey!

On 1/11/2020 at 6:10 PM, SpeedNoodles said:

Holy cats - I'm glad I got a promotion at work because the airfares to Boston from Mpls are high! I'm hoping they come down, but really, what are the chances?

Have you tried the app hopper?  You put the travel to/from and dates and they estimate what the price will do and best time to book.  Saved me some cash a couple of times.

On 10/26/2019 at 10:38 AM, Matt said:

Here's an example of the group events we had scheduled on Anthem: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/anthem-of-the-seas-group-cruise-events

Hello, I was looking over the schedule and I have a question about the Insider event.  I am an Insider and I would like to know if my wife  would need to be an Insider as well to enjoy the event?  Or does it cover everyone sailing in our cabin.  I am guessing our daughter is covered with just my membership?.  Just wondering how that event works ?

31 minutes ago, DublinFC said:

Hello, I was looking over the schedule and I have a question about the Insider event.  I am an Insider and I would like to know if my wife  would need to be an Insider as well to enjoy the event?  Or does it cover everyone sailing in our cabin.  I am guessing our daughter is covered with just my membership?.  Just wondering how that event works ?

On the Freedom GC the Insider only event at Sabor was offered to the Insiders and their respective traveling party members.  I believe this will always depend on how much space there is to accommodate the group and the particular activity involved.  

34 minutes ago, DublinFC said:

At the very least, we always include the Insider and a plus one.  Depending on a few factors, we do open it up to other people in the same room if space permits. 

@AnnetteJackson does a great job communicating the situation and any changes as things progress to keep you informed.

12 minutes ago, Matt said:

At the very least, we always include the Insider and a plus one.  Depending on a few factors, we do open it up to other people in the same room if space permits. 

@AnnetteJackson does a great job communicating the situation and any changes as things progress to keep you informed.

Awesome thank you for the clarification, I appreciate it.