"Savings" on Royal Caribbean Promos and Sales

PG Cruiser

There's a "Soak Up Adventure Sale" going on.  Whenever a promo or a sales event is announced by Royal, I do mock "incognito" bookings of cruises I have already reserved and those I've been planning to book.  I've been doing this for about two years now and I have yet to see a real and substantial reduction in the price.  I am the type of consumer who finds this an insult to my (limited) intelligence. It's like stores who jack up prices to create the illusion of a sale.  

As an aside,  I hate that Bed, Bath, & Beyond (my budget) prices their items 20% more than other stores so you can feel you're getting a discount when you use their never expiring coupons.

Don't get me wrong, I love Royal and I'm "loyal to Royal", but this approach to marketing is not one of my favorites.

13 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

There's a "Soak Up Adventure Sale" going on.  Whenever a promo or a sales event is announced by Royal, I do mock "incognito" bookings of cruises I have already reserved and those I've been planning to book.  I've been doing this for about two years now and I have yet to see a real and substantial reduction in the price.  I am the type of consumer who finds this an insult to my (limited) intelligence. It's like stores who jack up prices to create the illusion of a sale.  

As an aside,  I hate that Bed, Bath, & Beyond (my budget) prices their items 20% more than other stores so you can feel you're getting a discount when you use their never expiring coupons.

Don't get me wrong, I love Royal and I'm "loyal to Royal", but this approach to marketing is not one of my favorites.

I don't even pay attention to any of their sale any more. It will come up same price almost every week. I think they already set up their price for each cruise depending on demand and supply. From my observation, when the date just release (early booking) is the best time to book and around Thanksgiving. 

I agree..and post my feelings often about this. I am not that gullible or stupid to fall for it.

I wish they would just leave/post their prices..and maybe a cpl times a year..have a REAL sale...imagine that.

I have never tracked or bothered to watch any other  cruise line site's sales to see if they all do the same or not. I know Celebrity always offers lots of perks with their promo's.

I am the  consumer who would call out a business for running their business this way, but I don't book directly with Royal any longer so.

We watch ours and check it periodically, we have routinely found cheaper prices and call to get them.  Sometimes its only $25 and others its over $100.  A couple minutes of our time every once in awhile is worth a possibly savings.  To be fair we usually see the exact same price like mentioned but you never know ? 

I got caught up in the hype after our first cruise.....then realized what was happening.  ?

In hindsight, I should have known better as I've worked in retail for over 30 years and see my company doing this with sale items occasionally (albeit on a lesser monetary scale).

It really is frustrating.