Do Travel Agencies Matter?

icu222much

I have found two travel agencies that have the same price for the cruise I want (Oasis of the Sea for Dec 2020). The only difference is that my local travel agency is offering $50 less on board credit then the agency I found on CruiseCompete.com which is located in Maryland, USA. My local agency has been around for 30 years where as the one in Maryland has had their domain name registered for the past 5 years.

I know exactly which cruise I want, and I am planning to book my flights, excursions, hotels separately closer to the cruise date with any company that offers me the best rate. I am interested in trying to save as much money and don't need the travel agencies to suggest me hotels, flights...

I am wondering if there is a difference or any issues I can run into if I book with one travel agency vs another. Issues I am worried about is if the agency in Maryland would somehow scam me, or that they would make a mistake with my booking. Note that this is my first time booking a cruise.

TLDR - I'm looking to save as much money as possible, and I know exactly which cruise, hotel, flight I want. I am only interested using a travel agency to get the cheapest rate. Does it matter which travel agency I use?

MEI, MEI! I felt most comfortable when I used this travel agency, my TA is Sharla. They are experts at the RCCL vacation and believe me that makes a huge difference. Since I have booked I have received two price adjustments without lifting a finger, just turned on my computer to the email from Sharla, guess what you just saved money as there was a sale.  I had used another TA previous due to booking with a group of friends and there is no way I would ever use someone not as familiar again. Any question I have I send off to her (or ask on here) the answers are kind and come fast and furious LOL. Go with the TA that is invested in your not only enjoying your vacation but that respects your needs, MEI. (No I do not work for them, not affiliated at all just a very satisfied customer) Good Luck and enjoy your planning, sometimes that can be just as much fun!

I have previously said a trusting relationship and ability to communicate with an expert TA is better then a little amount of OBC any day.

The value of a travel agent is really what service they provide you.  My first agency charged a $100 booking fee, and likely would have charged if I needed to make any changes.  I switched to MEI travel, and they do not charge for their services (most don't, but check FIRST).  You want an agency/agent who will work with you the way you want.  Do you want someone who will address your questions/concerns quickly? By phone? Email? Text? Do you want an agency who will check for price drops for you (and be willing to reprice if they do - my first agency didn't even know this was a thing and said I 'wasn't eligible". Not only do I not believe she understood cruising, we didn't click on a personal level at all and I just couldn't stand her).  I personally want someone I can contact if something goes wrong, if I need to make a change, if something goes wrong, she'll advocate on my behalf.  I wouldn't change my new travel agent ( @michelle from MEI Travel), for another agent, even if I might be able to get some OBC somewhere else.   I wouldn't want to risk losing the great, personalized, service that I get from her!.

10 hours ago, icu222much said:

I have found two travel agencies that have the same price for the cruise I want (Oasis of the Sea for Dec 2020). The only difference is that my local travel agency is offering $50 less on board credit then the agency I found on CruiseCompete.com which is located in Maryland, USA. My local agency has been around for 30 years where as the one in Maryland has had their domain name registered for the past 5 years.

I know exactly which cruise I want, and I am planning to book my flights, excursions, hotels separately closer to the cruise date with any company that offers me the best rate. I am interested in trying to save as much money and don't need the travel agencies to suggest me hotels, flights...

I am wondering if there is a difference or any issues I can run into if I book with one travel agency vs another. Issues I am worried about is if the agency in Maryland would somehow scam me, or that they would make a mistake with my booking. Note that this is my first time booking a cruise.

TLDR - I'm looking to save as much money as possible, and I know exactly which cruise, hotel, flight I want. I am only interested using a travel agency to get the cheapest rate. Does it matter which travel agency I use?

I believe in using an agent you can meet face-to-face.  I want to establish a relationship as discussed in the other posts.  I do use e-mail and phone conversations to augment face-to-face, but I simply find the face-to-face process more rewarding.  Others have grown up in an e-world and don't miss actual agency visits.  I am thinking there must be a reliable travel agent where you live, but you can also explore electronic relationships as many members here do.  Just a thought....I can't say anything bad about any travel agents I've used.  Some charge for airline reservations, which you will make yourself.

I used Cruise Compete once.  They have other agencies bid on your booking.  I wasn't crazy about the service I received. I don't need much help but the one thing I asked seemed like a huge hassle.

I also use MEI.  I'll get some discounts from MEI but I know other agencies offer more.  The biggest reason to use them is if and when something goes wrong.  My past July cruise RC moved one of my rooms (my kids room) to a different deck.  It took my MEI TA and her supervisor 3 days to get to a solution they knew I'd accept.  The amount of business the agency does with RC gives them some power to help their clients when they need it.  I've never had a problem in 5 years but all of a sudden there were problems in 3 of my cruises and MEI helped with all of them.  Hopefully, I won't need this kind of help again but it's nice to know it is there if I need it.

7 minutes ago, Matt said:

This. 

What sort of service should I be expecting from a travel agent? I don't need them to do any research for me as I know exactly what I want. I am just looking for the most advantageous price.

I always see me using a travel agent as going to Best Buy vs Walmart vs Newegg for electronics. The Asus VZ279HE monitor will be the same regardless of which vendor I purchase it from.

Just now, icu222much said:

What sort of service should I be expecting from a travel agent?

That's a great question, and the answer is helping you when you want to have things re-priced, change rooms or when there is a problem.  

Anyone can book a cruise these days.  The true value in a good travel agent is the time they save you when things need be changed, fixed or altered.  

I personally care less about the perks and more about the service.  I want to be able to call or send an email and know that the TA is going to get back to me with the answer or fix in a reasonable time frame.  Less hassle and time spent on my part for absolutely no additional cost to me.

If you have a TA that has served you well in the past are you willing to risk that for a few extra dollars in OBC?

Since I've stumble upon royal caribbean blog I gave their sponsor a try and I have not regretted it at all.

I know why @Matt loves and has them as a sponsor.

My MEI travel agent is Kelley and she is AMAZING!~

The level of patience someone would need to deal with me is IMMENSE, but Kelley made it look like a walk in the park!

I use a local agent, I also prefer a face to face encounter but i do use email/phone to contact her mostly for an appointment.  I research cruises, airfare, hotels and rental cars and really know what I want before I talk to her (she says I'm easy to book a cruise for, as I already know what I want).  She will take what I want and check prices and availability at several sites and I pick the one I want.  Before I cruise, I meet with her to pick up all my travel documents, yes I can print them out myself but she puts everything in envelopes and organized.  That face to face also gives me the assurance that if I have a problem she will take care of it for me.  She told us the first time we used her that if anything didn't go as planned call her (she can help with cancel flights, etc.)   Some of the big box stores may offer more OBC but I don't have a lot of confidence in talking on the phone to someone I've never met.  Anyway that's just my 2 cents.

I have used the same TA for over 20 yrs.  The agency he is with did nothing but cruises for about 10 yrs of that time and is local so I get to talk with him face to face.  When choosing a TA I think it is important they have years of experience with the cruise industry.  If I were to switch to another TA I would probably go with MEI just from what I have seen on here even though they are not local.  Go the TA route,  it shouldnt cost you any different.

Depends on what you want from the TA.

If you want them to be proactive in booking repriced fares, giving you advice, etc. than you want someone like MEI that gives a little less OBC/Perks but does more for you.

If you just want the rock bottom price and you are going to price watch, etc. then go with the one that offers more OBC/Perks.

Speaking solely for myself I am in the second group, I dont need my TA to reprice for me, I get the daily sale email from RCI and book so far ahead that it doesnt matter anyway. On the rare occasion i do need something done, I call in and have them take care of it, no problem. But on 20+ cruises the additional OBC/Perks has paid for at least 1 by now.

If RCI would just give me the discount for booking directly with them then i would be in a great place, no TA needed at all (for me now, many people do need and value their services and i certainly did when i was new to cruising).

On 10/26/2019 at 12:15 PM, icu222much said:

Unfortunately the price they offered is significantly more expensive then what i got from other Travel Agencies.

Make sure you are comparing apples to apples. What I mean, is do both quotes include taxes, fees, gratuities, insurance? MEI tends to include that by default, whereas others do not.

On 10/25/2019 at 6:57 AM, SpeedNoodles said:

The value of a travel agent is really what service they provide you.  My first agency charged a $100 booking fee, and likely would have charged if I needed to make any changes.  I switched to MEI travel, and they do not charge for their services (most don't, but check FIRST).  You want an agency/agent who will work with you the way you want.  Do you want someone who will address your questions/concerns quickly? By phone? Email? Text? Do you want an agency who will check for price drops for you (and be willing to reprice if they do - my first agency didn't even know this was a thing and said I 'wasn't eligible". Not only do I not believe she understood cruising, we didn't click on a personal level at all and I just couldn't stand her).  I personally want someone I can contact if something goes wrong, if I need to make a change, if something goes wrong, she'll advocate on my behalf.  I wouldn't change my new travel agent ( @michelle from MEI Travel), for another agent, even if I might be able to get some OBC somewhere else.   I wouldn't want to risk losing the great, personalized, service that I get from her!.

thank you for supporting first Matt's blog and second MEI-Travel - we appreciate your support

8 hours ago, Matt said:

Make sure you are comparing apples to apples. What I mean, is do both quotes include taxes, fees, gratuities, insurance? MEI tends to include that by default, whereas others do not.

Also MEI-Travel  - we tend to send you refundable prices and not non refundable... as those will be lower but while all of us think we will cruise no matter what... you never know

• 2 months later...
On 10/26/2019 at 12:55 PM, jticarruthers said:

If you just want the rock bottom price and you are going to price watch, etc. then go with the one that offers more OBC/Perks.

Speaking solely for myself I am in the second group, I dont need my TA to reprice for me, I get the daily sale email from RCI and book so far ahead that it doesnt matter anyway. On the rare occasion i do need something done, I call in and have them take care of it, no problem. But on 20+ cruises the additional OBC/Perks has paid for at least 1 by now.

I am of same opinion as you—I prefer greater perks and OBC and prefer to find my own fares. 

Edited by FL Cruiser
Don’t want to call out MEI