Setting Seapass spend limits for kids

MikeSD

I cannot answer your question but wanted to share a warning had in the compass on our recent sailing.

" Arcade Charges

Children's SeaPass cards can be activated directly at the arcade even if those accounts have been deactivated for charging privileges. Please see Guest Services Staff for further information."

Our daughter is now 7.   On a couple past cruises we have taken her on she wanted a sea pass, mainly just to be like us and wear it on a lanyard.  Lol.   Anyway, we went to guest services and they issued her an extra one.   We keep track of the real one.  They asked what we wanted it to do and we said just to work in the cabin door and not able to be used to purchase anything.   Not that she would but just in case she were to drop it or lose it.  You can set a certain limit also is what we were told but I'm not sure if its a daily limit or a total limit for the whole cruise.

My DD's first cruise (she was just shy of 17) -- DH & I didn't want to give her "unlimited" spending privileges, so we did not assign a credit card to her account.  Instead, we put cash down (can't remember how much) & told her she was free to spend it, but when it was gone, that was it.  It freed her to buy a souvenir, order a mocktail (she only had the soda package), etc if we weren't around. You will be able to see what's spent on your TV in your room -- you can' check the onboard account daily.

2 caveats with  using cash -- 1) I think you can overspend by a certain amount before they shut the account down completely, so keep that in mind --  but you can also add money to it throughout the cruise if you start with a small amount.

2) On the last night, you have to go to Guest Services to close down the account & get any monies back, and there can be a long line for that.

On 10/26/2019 at 9:12 PM, Hoski said:

I cannot answer your question but wanted to share a warning had in the compass on our recent sailing.

" Arcade Charges

Children's SeaPass cards can be activated directly at the arcade even if those accounts have been deactivated for charging privileges. Please see Guest Services Staff for further information."

Wait, that defeats the purpose of deactivating the card if it can be re-activated by your kids in the arcade.  Sigh. 

I remember reading fairly recently about a parent who got a big shock precisely because of this situation. His kids unwittingly ran up a big arcade bill because the seapass card did not stop working after they exhausted the pre-established limit. Since neither he nor the kids were aware of this, the kids understandably assumed they still had credit left on the cards and just kept playing. Apparently Royal refused to refund any of it. ?

1 hour ago, FionaMG said:

I remember reading fairly recently about a parent who got a big shock precisely because of this situation. His kids unwittingly ran up a big arcade bill because the seapass card did not stop working after they exhausted the pre-established limit. Since neither he nor the kids were aware of this, the kids understandably assumed they still had credit left on the cards and just kept playing. Apparently Royal refused to refund any of it. ?

I did read that the Arcade sets a limit of $50 (https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/can-limits-be-placed-on-arcade-spending)but can of course be increased if requested buy the credit card holder. My suggestion if overspend is a concern of yours is to either use a cash account for the kids sea pass or use a different credit card for the kids sea pass and call the card bank ahead of time to put a limit on the RC spend. Both a fairly easy to do.

15 hours ago, Cruzinfun said:

Wait, that defeats the purpose of deactivating the card if it can be re-activated by your kids in the arcade.  Sigh. 

I copied that directly from our Cruise Compass from the Anthem last week.  There have been horror stories about the arcade and the sea pass cards. And even with cash accounts Royal allows you to go over so much before they call you down to pay the bill. 

1 hour ago, Hoski said:

I copied that directly from our Cruise Compass from the Anthem last week.  There have been horror stories about the arcade and the sea pass cards. And even with cash accounts Royal allows you to go over so much before they call you down to pay the bill. 

Not sure you can "go over" a cash account. There is no way for RC to collect.

5 hours ago, MikeSD said:

Not sure you can "go over" a cash account. There is no way for RC to collect.

You can. You don't even have to deposit any money with them to begin with. You can spend up to $300 on shorter cruises and up to $500 on cruises of 7 nights or more before they shut off your sea pass card. And if you try and get off the ship at the end of cruise with money owing on your account you will be stopped at the final ding and detained until you pay up.