Proper Identification

Hi there, everyone!

This is my first time on any kind of cruise, period, and me and the girlfriend are super excited. That being said, before we go, I just wanted to make Octuply sure that we have the right paperwork in order, and if anyone can help confirm I would be so appreciative. I've asked RCI on three seperate occasions as well as people who went on different cruises if these will work, but you can't beat testimony from RCI patrons themselves. Now, we arnt travelers, and I know that getting a passport is ALWAYS the best way to go about this, but we just opted not to get them this time around because of scheduling. For now everyone says that a proper birth certificate and photo ID works just as well (As far as boarding and leaving is concerned). I recently went to an official Florida County Health Department (Not the county I was born in), and payed 15 dollars for a birth certificate. I was just wondering if, to you guys, this looks like a proper one that they are looking for. 

Again, thanks a million for helping me in any way possible, and I WILL be getting a passport before too long, I just cant right now.

Also, follow-up question. One of the guests has a Learner's Permit as their ID. When filling out the Online Checkout for the Seapass, would that count as a Driver's License or a State ID(It asks)?

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that it IS closed circuit, starting and ending at the same port in Florida.

post-3971-0-02185200-1457146228_thumb.jpg

Well first welcome to cruising you should have a wonderful trip if you do not have paperwork problems. I would strongly suggest that you reconsider not getting passports. All it will take is one document to be questions and your whole trip could be cancelled or ruin. Since you already have paid tickets and a sailing date you will be able to get passports. Depending upon your sail date you would apply for normal service or even emergency next day service if the cruise is within the next week.  A passport is good for 10 years and really very cheap when compared to the money you will spend on the cruise.

You said you did not get "this time around because of scheduling" today is Friday Night I believe for you ? Even if your cruise leaves on Tuesday you have time. You also said "One of the guests has a Learner's Permit as their ID" id this person under legal age, that to can cause a problem. Even if a adult the learners permits with weaker ids could be a problem.   Royal will not refund the trip if your documentation fails. Now I know others will post you don't need passports.... and cite cases of travel without them but is it really worth leaving to chance? You want to have a great fun filled cruise. 

Having a passport facilitates a few things, like going through customs.

But the main reason I would think of for having a passport is this uncommon scenario you may think will never happen to you but it has happened. Missing the ship. You're now stuck in a foreign country without a passport. If you think well, you can just go to the US embassy: for one example, if you're in Cozumel, the US Embassy in Mexico is located in Mexico City. Getting back to the US will be an extreme hassle and expense; once you do get to the border, you won't be let in because you have no passport!

Really better to have one. This argument used to be back and forth hashed and rehashed with no resolution on some other cruise site I no longer frequent.

It does have a slightly raised seal in the bottom left.

The person holding the Learner's Permit is an Adult and RCI's phone operators have told me that it is an acceptable form of ID for them. In Florida the government Issued State ID cards are exchanged for the Permit.

We're all busy lately, that's what I meant by scheduling problems. I was just wondering if you guys think there will be any problems if I cant get the passports and If I should worry about it.

The cruise is on May 1st. I'm not sure how long the passports would take to arrive, though. I would hate to expedite it if it's not needed. We dont have a terrible amount of money is the thing, I just wanted to take her on a nice vacation.

The cruise is on May 1st. I'm not sure how long the passports would take to arrive, though. I would hate to expedite it if it's not needed. We dont have a terrible amount of money is the thing, I just wanted to take her on a nice vacation.

It will take about 2 weeks once you've filed, provided there are no glitches that causes the application to be rejected.

The money is well spent. Your passports are good for 10 years. We noticed a couple weeks before our last cruise (that was last week) that my boyfriend's passport expires in October. I'm doing the paperwork to send off for that now, renewing is a lot easier than applying for a new passport.

However, they've made it simpler to get a new one, many post offices do it now. Where I live you can go to a library and get it done. I know the expense can be inconvenient but like I said, you won't have to do it again for 10 years.

It will take about 2 weeks once you've filed, provided there are no glitches that causes the application to be rejected.

2 Weeks with or without expedition?  I keep seeing 6 to 8 weeks and that got me nervous.  Because I was thinking of just grabbing us some passport cards.

But, for just one moment, I just need to be sure of something guys. My body likes to have panic attacks if I cannot atleast have some bases covered. 

Let's say, worst case scenario, I can't get a passport. Obama ceases the service unless Trump drops out of the race or something...

That picture I posted of the Birth Certificate, that's good, right? A nice valid one from the Department of Health.

One of us has a Florida State Issued ID and the other has a Florida State Issued Learners License ID (Looks exactly like a laminated License card), we both have identically styled certificates. It's a closed Circuit back to America. In THEORY should we be alright push comes to shove. 

I'm still going for the Passport, but in THEORY should we be okay with what I am presenting you in this scenario as a bare minimum?

Two weeks normally. Even back when there was the big crunch on passports and millions of people were applying and we were expecting it to take months to get back, it sitll only took a couple weeks. I think they're quoting worse case scenario, I just looked at the passport site and it said 6 weeks.

To answer your question about the learner's permit, if it has a photograph it's a valid ID. If it does not have a photo, it's not.

The neat thing about a passport is it's a valid ID *and* proof of citizenship.

The bad thing about applying for a passport is you have to send them your birth certificate along with the application. You might consider applying for a duplicate birth certificate.

The good thing about applying is they look at your travel plans and if your date is close, they'll push your application along.  If you're going to do it, do it soon.

Two weeks normally. Even back when there was the big crunch on passports and millions of people were applying and we were expecting it to take months to get back, it sitll only took a couple weeks. I think they're quoting worse case scenario, I just looked at the passport site and it said 6 weeks.

To answer your question about the learner's permit, if it has a photograph it's a valid ID. If it does not have a photo, it's not.

The neat thing about a passport is it's a valid ID *and* proof of citizenship.

The bad thing about applying for a passport is you have to send them your birth certificate along with the application. You might consider applying for a duplicate birth certificate.

The good thing about applying is they look at your travel plans and if your date is close, they'll push your application along.  If you're going to do it, do it soon.

You know what... Thank you, You helped me feel a lot better about this. I'll try and get a Passport Card on Monday when a post office opens (Unless you know of a faster/easier way), But thanks. I'm hoping it comes before 2 months (If it doesnt, I can go down to the Heatlh Dept. and buy another copy (I knew I should have payed the extra $5 and gotten another x.x) and see where it takes me). 

I think this thread was posted as a joke. For several reasons. First the OP made the post and his questions were answered but he still added posting asking the same thing. Also the OP said  about passports " but we just opted not to get them this time around because of scheduling". And then several posts later said the cruise is not until May 1st which is over 8 weeks away.  So this information is not added for the OP but for others who really are interested in knowing the facts. Please review the United States State Department link for Passport processing times here:

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/processing-times.html

The basics:

You can apply for a passport through USPS or through a Passport Processing Agency

Standard Passport processing is quoted as 6 weeks, with a approval or decline notice within 3 weeks.

Expedited Passport Processing is quoted as 3 weeks total door to door service.

But if you have already applied for a Passport and you need for travel within two weeks they have a process to speed things up and get your passport done.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/contact-us.html

Also another link for travelers  who have passage booked within two weeks and have not applied. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/where-to-apply/agencies.html

While the State Department has stopped in person passport services for normal cases, in these rush cases (you will be traveling within two weeks) they have a full plan and process in place to get you your passport. They will set a appointment and have you appear at a US Government Office to process.  No one can really say they do not have enough time to get a passport, you can only say some are to lazy to follow through and do it. 

This information is for first time new passports applied for within the Untied States. If you are located outside the United States the US Embassy in any country can process new passports or renewals. And the time periods are shorter for passports processed through a Embassy. The last time I renewed my passport it was 2 weeks door to door service.    

But, for just one moment, I just need to be sure of something guys. My body likes to have panic attacks if I cannot atleast have some bases covered. 

Let's say, worst case scenario, I can't get a passport. Obama ceases the service unless Trump drops out of the race or something...

That picture I posted of the Birth Certificate, that's good, right? A nice valid one from the Department of Health.

One of us has a Florida State Issued ID and the other has a Florida State Issued Learners License ID (Looks exactly like a laminated License card), we both have identically styled certificates. It's a closed Circuit back to America. In THEORY should we be alright push comes to shove. 

I'm still going for the Passport, but in THEORY should we be okay with what I am presenting you in this scenario as a bare minimum?

I didn't give you the lecture about passports because you acknowledge knowing that in your original post.

In reality, it take up to 6-8 weeks for a passport. Sometimes it's faster, but not always and I would not assume less unless you paid for expedited service.

I wonder lecture you here, but your documents as you've described them are acceptable. In Calidornia, a he learner's permit is a slip of paper without a picture; it sounds like Florida issues a state ID as part of the permit.

I think this thread was posted as a joke. For several reasons. First the OP made the post and his questions were answered but he still added posting asking the same thing. Also the OP said  about passports " but we just opted not to get them this time around because of scheduling". And then several posts later said the cruise is not until May 1st which is over 8 weeks away.  So this information is not added for the OP but for others who really are interested in knowing the facts. Please review the United States State Department link for Passport processing times here:

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/processing-times.html

The basics:

You can apply for a passport through USPS or through a Passport Processing Agency

Standard Passport processing is quoted as 6 weeks, with a approval or decline notice within 3 weeks.

Expedited Passport Processing is quoted as 3 weeks total door to door service.

But if you have already applied for a Passport and you need for travel within two weeks they have a process to speed things up and get your passport done.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/contact-us.html

Also another link for travelers  who have passage booked within two weeks and have not applied. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/where-to-apply/agencies.html

While the State Department has stopped in person passport services for normal cases, in these rush cases (you will be traveling within two weeks) they have a full plan and process in place to get you your passport. They will set a appointment and have you appear at a US Government Office to process.  No one can really say they do not have enough time to get a passport, you can only say some are to lazy to follow through and do it. 

This information is for first time new passports applied for within the Untied States. If you are located outside the United States the US Embassy in any country can process new passports or renewals. And the time periods are shorter for passports processed through a Embassy. The last time I renewed my passport it was 2 weeks door to door service.

I really appreciate the help and advice, but that doesnt entitle you to be rude about it. We all have to start somewhere and not all of us know how everything works 100%.

When you don't have a lot of money and this is your first vacation ever, you WANT to know all the facts. Never go with the flow if you dont know anything about what you are doing. I had to learn how to leave the country, what a cruise is, how Identification works, and what a passport really does within the confines of a few weeks. I'm learning, and I'm asking questions 10 times over because I want to make sure I dont waste my time and money. 

For passports, everywhere I go it says 6-8 weeks... What, does that mean once they recieve my info? Does it mean thats how long it takes to get to my door or for the process to start? Let's say it takes longer than that... I want to know if my money is secure if It doesnt come.. I dont know, Ive NEVER gotten a passport or been on a cruise before. It's all new and confusing. It seemed simple at first, but after I signed up for everything I think it would maybe be nice to show up with proper ID, you know?

To answer your original questions, as long as your IDs are state issued w/ a picture and your birth certificates are also state issued (originals or official copies) with raised seals you should be fine. Our family has cruised closed loops before with this documentation.

While it is best practice to have passports, sometimes they are cost prohibitive or difficult to get in time.

To answer your original questions, as long as your IDs are state issued w/ a picture and your birth certificates are also state issued (originals or official copies) with raised seals you should be fine. Our family has cruised closed loops before with this documentation.

While it is best practice to have passports, sometimes they are cost prohibitive or difficult to get in time.

I wonder lecture you here, but your documents as you've described them are acceptable. In Calidornia, a he learner's permit is a slip of paper without a picture; it sounds like Florida issues a state ID as part of the permit.

I see I see, thanks a lot. I feel good now that I have a backup plan. On Monday I'll go for a Passport Card and, given what Ive been told, should arrive before May 1st, haha.

Exactly! If you're coming mortally with state IDs and birth certificates, you'll be fine getting on and off the ship. As others have said, adding that house, should you need to return to the US mid-trip, then you could have issues, but the likelihood of that is slim.

Just make sure to get back to the ship early when in ports or do ship excursions.

Do let us know how long it takes for your passport card to arrive. I think I'll do the renewal I was talking about and mail it off Monday and let you know when I get it back. Perhaps it's because I've been renewing that it's not taking so long, we shall see.

If you have it when you travel, I would recommend taking it onshore with you. I've heard so many arguments that the risk of losing it or having it stolen outweighs the risk of missing the ship and being stranded in a foreign country without a passport. I think I've made my stand clear on that.

In recent years RC has started putting contact information in the Cruise Compasses (at least on my past couple of cruises), something they weren't doing when I first started cruising. Be sure to take that info along with you as well. Also the customer service number in Florida as it'll be easier to contact them if you have a problem rather than try to call the ship directly.

On all the cruises I have done outside the Untied States, you do not have your passport during the cruise. Royal collects them and holds until after the last port call. I have never liked turning over my passport as it could be lost or other problems, but no choice. Since I always carry my phone with me I have photos of the passport and current visas, so if need that can be presented. 

I have been stop and asked for my passport while on a cruise portcall, I did not have it because the ships was holding it at the time. But the lucky part was I was in the Philippines and had my Philippines Government Resident Card and Drivers License, so no issue. 

I wanted to share my experience with getting new passports. We did need an appointment at my local post office to apply, Saturday appts took about 5 weeks to get so hopefully this is not the norm for other towns. We needed a Saturday as my sons are minors and both my husband and I had to be there for the kids to be processed. 

The time frame to actually get the passports (5) total took only about 2 weeks. This was not expedited, we applied on 2/13 and received them on 3/2 and this included the Presidents Day holiday. I originally was going to expedite my husbands and mine as we have a cruise booked 4/9 and I was worried but the gentleman at the post office processing our applications said we should be fine and suggested we had better ways to spend $160 in Mexico! Glad we listened to him! We received (1) of the birth certificates back today and hopefully the rest early next week. 

And one other passport thing...check and double check your picture! The govt held my passport forever and finally sent me a letter saying that my glasses were ever ever so slightly over my upper eyelid. So i had to expediate a photo (that i took without my glasses even though they say to because i couldn't chance it again) even though it should have been processed with tons of time to spare! And might i add, its now an awful picture with no smile (was worried about showing teeth!) But a legal one! Jane

• 2 weeks later...

Due to Real Life intrusions* I didn't get around to mailing off the passport renewal until yesterday. Sent it certified. Haven't looked at the tracking but the slip of paper says it's due to be delivered on Saturday. 

*I wasn't feeling well.

There was Weather.**

My husband got laid off.***

I'm still not feeling well.

**They predicted flooding so I stayed home but it didn't flood, at least not here.

***My husband asked me to cancel my cruise. I told him I was pretty sure he'd have a job by the time final payment came around.****

****I haven't told him about the second cruise.

Hi there, everyone!

This is my first time on any kind of cruise, period, and me and the girlfriend are super excited. That being said, before we go, I just wanted to make Octuply sure that we have the right paperwork in order, and if anyone can help confirm I would be so appreciative. I've asked RCI on three seperate occasions as well as people who went on different cruises if these will work, but you can't beat testimony from RCI patrons themselves. Now, we arnt travelers, and I know that getting a passport is ALWAYS the best way to go about this, but we just opted not to get them this time around because of scheduling. For now everyone says that a proper birth certificate and photo ID works just as well (As far as boarding and leaving is concerned). I recently went to an official Florida County Health Department (Not the county I was born in), and payed 15 dollars for a birth certificate. I was just wondering if, to you guys, this looks like a proper one that they are looking for. 

Again, thanks a million for helping me in any way possible, and I WILL be getting a passport before too long, I just cant right now.

Also, follow-up question. One of the guests has a Learner's Permit as their ID. When filling out the Online Checkout for the Seapass, would that count as a Driver's License or a State ID(It asks)?

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that it IS closed circuit, starting and ending at the same port in Florida.

Also if your girlfriend was ever married and is still using her married name that is different from her birth certificate she will have to have a certified copy of her marriage certificate showing her name change.  

We cruised a few years ago with ID and birth certificates and I didn't need my marriage license at all.

hmmmm....maybe things have changed.  My understanding was if your name on your birth certificate doesn't match the name on the ID or manifest you have to show documentation of the change.

hmmmm....maybe things have changed.  My understanding was if your name on your birth certificate doesn't match the name on the ID or manifest you have to show documentation of the change.

This would be the safe thing to do. I wouldn't risk trying it without having a marriage certificate with me. You not only have to worry about getting through CBP on return, but you can also be denied boarding if you don't have proper documentation at check in.

• 3 weeks later...