Odyssey of the Seas sailing from Rome

4 hours ago, Matt said:

My guess would be Western Med. Big ships dont do Greek Isles.

@Matt I would agree with your statement about big ships and the Greek Isles. I know on our upcoming cruise next year on Rhapsody, only 2 of the 5 cruise ports actually allow us to dock. The other 3 are all tender ports, I'm assuming some, if not all of them because of the size of Rhapsody. And in car terms, Rhapsody would be a mid-size at best. 

Royal's website said 7 & 9 night cruises from Rome & the 9 nighters are the Greek Isles!  Can't wait!!  I've been planning on doing the 9 night Greek Isles in 2021 for 2 years. I can't believe we get to sail on the Odyssey. I'm excited but also it;s going to be overwhelming on such a port intensive cruise.

One thing that concerned me was looking at the deck plans last night it shows the Ocean view rooms and the majority of Ocean View balcony rooms being only 119 sq ft.  I really hope this is a typo, cause no way is that size big enough, it;s like the Majesty size cabins

2 hours ago, Jacquie said:

Royal's website said 7 & 9 night cruises from Rome & the 9 nighters are the Greek Isles!  Can't wait!!  I've been planning on doing the 9 night Greek Isles in 2021 for 2 years. I can't believe we get to sail on the Odyssey. I'm excited but also it;s going to be overwhelming on such a port intensive cruise.

I'm planning the Greek Isles cruise for my honeymoon in 2021. It would be nice to sail on a new ship, but there is no way I could see everything I want on this ship. Plus, we would need to allot extra time for tendering since it is such a big ship for small ports.

1 hour ago, MelKaps said:

I'm planning the Greek Isles cruise for my honeymoon in 2021. It would be nice to sail on a new ship, but there is no way I could see everything I want on this ship. Plus, we would need to allot extra time for tendering since it is such a big ship for small ports.

This is a good point @MelKaps. I didn't think about the tendering issue. I'm sure that's one of the reasons large ships don't dock in Greece. @Matt, thoughts?

Just now, J_Keeble said:

Santorini is a tending port and we know its going there.

I don't know from personal experience, but I know that one of the factors from preventing  larger ships from certain ports, is the tendering question.

Maybe someone can elaborate on which of the larger ships tenders in ports? I thought because of their size, that prevented them from tendering in mass?

5 minutes ago, FManke said:

I don't know from personal experience, but I know that one of the factors from preventing  larger ships from certain ports, is the tendering question.

Maybe someone can elaborate on which of the larger ships tenders in ports? I thought because of their size, that prevented them from tendering in mass?

Ovation routinely tenders ports in Hawaii, New Zealand and the South Pacific.  The Captain claimed during a recent Hawaii cruise that it's the largest tendering operation in the world.  

29 minutes ago, twangster said:

Ovation routinely tenders ports in Hawaii, New Zealand and the South Pacific.  The Captain claimed during a recent Hawaii cruise that it's the largest tendering operation in the world.  

Well there you go! You learn something every day

17 minutes ago, twangster said:

Anthem used to tender to CocoCay - when the weather was good.  

Ovation has six lifeboats that are designed to do double duty as tenders.  Each holds 175 guests for tendering.  Quite comfortable too, not like taking a ride in a regular lifeboat where comfort is not a priority.    

Those all full at once is almost 1100 passengers. I guess it's quite possible then. The other thing I was thinking about is that, that's a whole lot of people descending on some of these smaller port towns.

On 10/25/2019 at 12:54 PM, FManke said:

Bar Harbor is a tender port that Anthem calls at.  They contracted with a local operation that used boats that probably held a good 300 people or so.  It seemed to go pretty smoothly from what I remember.

On 10/25/2019 at 2:59 PM, carlosalonsor said:

I think it's going to be a nightmare to get back on the ship on Santorini... Imagine 5000 passengers plus passengers from other ships trying to get from Fira to the pier to take their tender. 

It's going to be a looooooooong line on the cable car.

...or a smelly dinner table after taking the donkey path down!! 

Per the link above: "This is a whole new perspective on some of Europe’s most legendary shores, onboard the region’s first Quantum Ultra Class ship. Scope out Santorini’s seaside cliffs from 300 feet above sea level in the North Star℠. Or gaze at crystal blue Mediterranean waters through the panoramic two-story windows in Two70 on your way to Ephesus, AthensMykonos and more."

Depending on the ports for the 7 nighter I might cancel my Allure 2020 med sailing and switch to Odyssey in 2021.  I like the idea of Rome as a home port much more than Barcelona.  Rome as a 1 day stop on a cruise seems like an exhausting day with it being so far from the port, so it would be nice to embark from there and be able to add on a few nights before the cruise in a hotel in the city. 

1 hour ago, berkeleykel said:

Per the link above: "This is a whole new perspective on some of Europe’s most legendary shores, onboard the region’s first Quantum Ultra Class ship. Scope out Santorini’s seaside cliffs from 300 feet above sea level in the North Star℠. Or gaze at crystal blue Mediterranean waters through the panoramic two-story windows in Two70 on your way to Ephesus, AthensMykonos and more."

Depending on the ports for the 7 nighter I might cancel my Allure 2020 med sailing and switch to Odyssey in 2021.  I like the idea of Rome as a home port much more than Barcelona.  Rome as a 1 day stop on a cruise seems like an exhausting day with it being so far from the port, so it would be nice to embark from there and be able to add on a few nights before the cruise in a hotel in the city. 

If you have never been to Rome you will need more than 2 days