Novice cruiser question re: toiletries.

LuciaYSL

1 hour ago, LuciaYSL said:

Hi everyone I’m a novice cruiser and I was wondering if basic toiletries like body wash & shampoo/conditioner will be provided in the staterooms. I’m staying in a Central Park balcony, if that makes any difference. Thank you in advance. 

They provide bar soap and a pump on the wall that is a "conditioning shampoo".

There will also be a hair dryer in the room in a vanity drawer (not in the bathroom).  The hair dryers are a bit weak and you have to continually hold down the button to operate it, so you may want to consider taking your own if anyone in your traveling party has long hair to be dried.

I use the "all-in-one" soap/shampoo in the dispenser.  It's on par with the similar stuff in hotels I've stayed in.

I shave my head every 3-4 weeks, so I really don't have much hair.

After our first experience, my wife now brings her own shampoo/conditioner (as well as hair dryer).

Edited to add: our experiences are in Balcony and Interior staterooms.

On 10/23/2019 at 10:59 AM, LuciaYSL said:

Hi everyone I’m a novice cruiser and I was wondering if basic toiletries like body wash & shampoo/conditioner will be provided in the staterooms. I’m staying in a Central Park balcony, if that makes any difference. Thank you in advance. 

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I use the shampoo and body wash that is provided and it's never been a problem....but I am not a foo-foo girl who worries about such things.  I do, however, bring my own hair dryer.  The ones on the ships are awful.

Please note that WAAATOOO, who is a sweet and lovely person judging by her posts, cruises primarily if not exclusively in suites.   I have cruised in both regular cabins and suites.  I am not very picky but I would not use the basic “all in one” in the regular cabins.   On the other hand, the products in the suite were wonderful 

• 1 year later...

I don't care, but my wife brings a carry on full of shampoo, conditioners, shaving cream, tooth paste, hair dryer, curling iron, etc.  All full industrial size items.

I have given up trying to get her to pack less and use the items on the ship.  I now just use what she brings.  It is the same stuff I use at home.

Thank the good Lord I did not get the hair obsession gene.  Although even I won’t use whatever is in that 3 in 1 shampoo/conditioner/body wash dispenser, as long as the shampoo & conditioner are in separate bottles, I can use just about anything for a week.  I have a friend who also brings an entire suitcase full of product.  I don’t get it ?‍♀️

Serious question: Is traveling without your own toiletries a thing?  

We do a decent amount of travel and never thought about not bringing something, even if it was something from a previous hotel stay.  We also have some refillable bottles that we use since we buy our regular stuff from Sam’s Club or Costco. For toothpaste, we save what the dentist gives us and take those small tubes.

Since we always check a bag (Thanks Southwest!) maybe we don’t think about it and getting through TSA.

I’m not knocking anyone, just never thought about it!

Stay Safe

43 minutes ago, Reigert2008 said:

Is traveling without your own toiletries a thing?

One of my favorite travel "hacks" is to leave toiletries at home to avoid dealing with TSA and buy them all at a pharmacy at port. 

This works because I always come in the night before so I have time for a stop.

If I am not in a suite I do bring my own hair products.  Sample sizes that I can throw out after use and not bring home.  And smaller body wash also.  I don't really worry if I have enough for whole trip as using what is provided is fine now and then.  And I bring small toothpaste too, like from the dentist appts.    I use hairdryer in stateroom and works fine for me.

I have a bag in my closet with sample sizes of EVERYTHING we could possibly need on a trip.  I have the small plastic bottles cosmetic counters use for foundation samples, fill 2 with my foundation more than covers a week & take up no room.  Pressed powder, bronzer, deodorant, when there’s only a weeks worth left they go in the bag.  Take them & toss them.  Take my toothbrush & toss that too, come home to a fresh clean one.  My family just rolls their eyes.

That'd be a good book for someone to write.  "Cruising How people pack"

You have the one extreme where people pack their entire house, then others who forget everything.

You have one extreme where people neatly put all their stuff away the minute their luggage arrives at the stateroom, then others that live out of their suitcases.

You have the night owls who are up until 3am. Then those up before the sunrise.