Cozumel - San Gervasio & Discover Mexico?

Firefly

I just booked a 4 day cruise on Brilliance out of Tampa and am trying to plan our day in Cozumel. I will be traveling with my mother in law and my 11 year old son. My son is homeschooling this year and we want to make this day educational as well as fun. He loves history and is excited to see some Mayan ruins. I considered Tulum, but he suffers from pretty bad motion sickness and I am worried about the ferry ride to the mainland as well as the bus ride to the ruins. Is it really as bad as I have heard? (I have not ruled this excursion out completely yet because it looks amazing.) Because we are traveling without the rest of the family, I am leaning towards a ship sponsored excursion to San Gervasio. I also want to check out Discover Mexico afterwards. It looks like it is a short drive from port. I assume getting a taxi back to port isn’t difficult? Any tips or recommendations would be appreciated. 

I cannot comment on the excursions you are interested in doing but I have been on the ferry from Cozumel to the mainland. I have to say that we did not research the ferry ride because we live on the coast and are on boats often. We were totally unaware that it could be a problem. We did not get sick but a lot of people did. We were on a Disney Cruise excursion so there were  a lot of kids and young people. Adults got sick too. The ferry we were on was not a flat bottom boat. It bobbled side to side and back and forth. The ferry was well prepared for people getting sick and had attendants that passed out bags - so this happens a lot. This trip was in June a few years ago and we wondered if maybe the water was just really rough that day. If we take this ferry again, I will take motion sickness medicine just to be on the safe side. Our trip was only 30 to 40 minutes. The ferry had seating on the bottom which was air conditioned but all enclosed. It also had open air seating on top. If you want to be on the bottom in the air condition, I would get in line early. It also had restrooms. With all this being said, we had a great time at our excursion destination and it is a family vacation memory we won't forget!

On 10/23/2019 at 7:23 AM, Firefly said:

I just booked a 4 day cruise on Brilliance out of Tampa and am trying to plan our day in Cozumel. I will be traveling with my mother in law and my 11 year old son. My son is homeschooling this year and we want to make this day educational as well as fun. He loves history and is excited to see some Mayan ruins. I considered Tulum, but he suffers from pretty bad motion sickness and I am worried about the ferry ride to the mainland as well as the bus ride to the ruins. Is it really as bad as I have heard? (I have not ruled this excursion out completely yet because it looks amazing.) Because we are traveling without the rest of the family, I am leaning towards a ship sponsored excursion to San Gervasio. I also want to check out Discover Mexico afterwards. It looks like it is a short drive from port. I assume getting a taxi back to port isn’t difficult? Any tips or recommendations would be appreciated. 

If you end up in downtown Cozumel, taxis back to the port are easy to find.  We read about a museum near downtown that is supposed to be interesting and educational.  You can find details on the internet.  Concur with the previous comments about the ferry to the mainland.