Carseat question

Nathan_O

That would varry depending on the shuttle. When we were in Nassau, the shuttles had a lap belt at best, so the car seat would only be minimally secured. We have also gone to NASA out of Port Canaveral, and they have busses, again with lap belts. I do not have experience with other shuttles.

I don’t understand the issue with it only being a lap belt? At 14 months, I’m assuming this would still be a rear-facing car seat... we didn’t use our tether strap until the seats were flipped, so up until that point, lap belt was the only way to secure. 

Or has having my youngest child be 11 put me that much out of the loop with regards to child restraints?

Maybe I'm in the minority on this but having only lived with my son in a city without a car, relying on buses and other public transportation, I wouldn't bother taking a car seat on a bus.  Also I assume you couldn't guarantee that you would end up on the same bus back from the excursion as on the way there, such that you couldn't leave it stored on the bus during the excursion.

Speaking as a really new father (my son is only 6 weeks old), I've only used the LATCH system to attach a car seat by clipping to those metal anchors hidden in the crack of the seats.  In the US, those have been required on all new cars since 2002 and every vehicle in my extended family has them.  I will probably never have to use a lap belt to attach a car seat so if that is all that is available in a foreign country, I would be fearful of not doing it correctly.  Actually, given the road conditions on some of the islands I've cruised to, I'm not sure I would want to risk bringing my son on an excursion for several years!