Can RC change your cabin assignment?

12 hours ago, Chris Winters said:

Called my travel agent 2 weeks ago to upgrade to Central Park View Balcony.  Was given a cabin on deck 11.  Logged in today and see I am now on Deck 10.  Is RC allowed to change assignments like that without notice, and what would be the reason for doing so?

Yes they can and have done it many times. Read your cruise contract.

13 hours ago, Chris Winters said:

Called my travel agent 2 weeks ago to upgrade to Central Park View Balcony.  Was given a cabin on deck 11.  Logged in today and see I am now on Deck 10.  Is RC allowed to change assignments like that without notice, and what would be the reason for doing so?

Hey Chris,

This can happen if they have issues with a room close in, someone puts you in a room that sleeps say 3 people but there are only 2 on the reservation, royal upgrade I have seen it happen without asking the client etc.    Most of the time Royal will call to let you know of the change or let your TA know but sometimes the call comes after the move has happened.

No doubt. About the only limitation would normally be a passengers right to a cabin of equal or greater value/category.

It is their ship. Their rules.

There are no doubt many reasons a cabin assignment could change. One of the most obvious would be mechanical issues. Something breaks or becomes serviceable. No doubt with hundreds/thousands of cabins to maintain, some amount go in and out of service on a regular basis for repairs or updates. There could be safety reasons.