Are there Flies/Mosquitoes on Coco Cay or cruise?

Are there flies and/or mosquitoes at "perfect day at cococay"?

I've seen many of the youtube videos of cococay having all the food out with no covers so I assumed there wouldn't be any insects.

Logically I feel like the answer would be yes, there are bugs anywhere you go

BUT

thinking about it a little more:

It's almost impossible for flies and mosquitoes to migrate to a island in the middle of the ocean UNLESS the larvae or eggs were somehow introduced onto the island and they were able to thrive.

I've noticed cruise ships have food out and about in the ocean so I assume flies and mosquitoes would not be present on the cruise when sailing in the ocean.

Can anyone confirm if there are flies/mosquitoes during the cruise or on cococay?

I can confirm flies and mosquitoes on CoCo Cay.  In the past the flies were bad at CoCo Cay  and often complained about at the old style picnic lunch before Perfect Day.  Our visit in June was relatively bug free. There were complaints about flies following Dorian.  The storm washed up a great deal of sea weed that attracts and or breeds flies. 

I have seen a few flying insects ship board and even seen small birds on the ship.  

Been to Coco Cay multiple times (old and new).  Never had an issue with any flying insects.  Flying birds, YES,  insects NO, not even sand flies.

The seagulls are notorious there for swooping in on food that is not covered.

I don't recall ever seeing even a fly on the ship while at sea, but like @wstephensi said I have seen a rare small bird, and I mean maybe 1 during a week long cruise.

Regarding mosquitos they are not bugs, at least in my area that come out during the day.  Coco Cay is typically a day trip, and you will be back on the ship before the sunsets.  Thus, that is not a problem. 

13 hours ago, TJ! said:

Are there flies and/or mosquitoes at "perfect day at cococay"?

I've seen many of the youtube videos of cococay having all the food out with no covers so I assumed there wouldn't be any insects.

Logically I feel like the answer would be yes, there are bugs anywhere you go

BUT

thinking about it a little more:

It's almost impossible for flies and mosquitoes to migrate to a island in the middle of the ocean UNLESS the larvae or eggs were somehow introduced onto the island and they were able to thrive.

I've noticed cruise ships have food out and about in the ocean so I assume flies and mosquitoes would not be present on the cruise when sailing in the ocean.

Can anyone confirm if there are flies/mosquitoes during the cruise or on cococay?

I essentially agree with @Pima1988 although we did see a fly or two in September.  We usually pack insect spray because of other ports, just in case.  What we did see in September was jellyfish when snorkeling.

4 hours ago, ChessE4 said:

I essentially agree with @Pima1988 although we did see a fly or two in September.  We usually pack insect spray because of other ports, just in case.  What we did see in September was jellyfish when snorkeling.

I will be sailing on Jan 4th, 2020 so I wonder if this is the season for more appearance of flies.

Since most of the comments do see flies during their trip, is the picnic style buffet necessarily safe to eat?

I assumed flies would be crawling and doing ungodly things to all the food not covered?

Same goes for the cruise since most of the buffets have no lids and kept warm under the heat lamps, wouldn't that encourage flies to lay eggs?

If i recall correctly as long as its warm and moist flies will lay their eggs and incubate until maggots within days.?

In general the winter in the south we see fewer insects.  I've never been to Coco Cay in Jan so I can not give you good intelligence.  

The old picnic style lunch on Coco Cay was bad with flies.  Like I said in a earlier post, I saw few if any flies in June with Perfect Day.

If you are truly worried, you could return to the ship for lunch.