Anthem 10/24-11/2 The Last Canada/NE of the Season

heffy2

Hello! This will be my first attempt at a live blog, and it just seemed right to do it here as opposed to CC. The Blog and podcast have been instrumental in my return to Royal Caribbean. I've been on 4 prior RCI sailings on the Viking Serenade and Rhapsody of the Seas, the last one being in 2007. I was convinced to sail this itinerary by @twangster's wonderful Snowbird Migration blog last year, and have been addicted to all of your awesome Live Blogs. I'll be sailing with my mother, and have been waiting for cruise day for about 367 days, but who's counting? I've taken much of the advice that I learned here and have pre-purchased most everything except Vroom. I'm kicking myself for not buying the Deluxe Drink Package before this last weekend, as it did go up slightly. Two weeks ago my Royal Up bid was accepted for a total of $150 for a Large Balcony cat 1C from a standard balcony. Today is my last work day, and I don't think I'll be able to sleep for the next 72 hours! I'll add more as soon as I get off work.

It's cruise day! It almost doesn't seem real as I've never waited for a cruise for a year before. Yesterday was spent traveling. We had a non eventful, mid-morning flight from Salt Lake City to EWR. I've only flow into Newark once before and that was a connection to MIA for my first solo cruise. We're staying at a Springhill Suites that, minus the soft goods, seems to not have been remodeled since 1983. One thing about staying so close to the airport that kind of surprised me, there was nowhere nearby to eat! After taking an Uber over to a giant mall in Elizabethtown where we found an Applebees, we came back to the hotel to rest up for cruise day. I was planning to be at the pier around 10:30, but now have some time to relax. I got an email from Royal saying that there is a coast guard drill scheduled today, so boarding is delayed by two hours. I can't remember this happening on my 24 previous sailings, but I've been through several coast guard drills as a crew member. It's going to be a longer, more hectic day than usual for the crew, I hope our fellow passengers take it a bit easy on them. I'll update more once we get onboard and I have some pics to share. I'm looking forward to see how Vroom is compared to Carnivals wifi.

Bar Harbor has been wonderful! I could really see myself living here, even in the winter. We went on an RCI tour, which was the first time I’ve done a ship tour since Alaska in 1998. We went on the Acadia Nation Park/Lobster lunch tour, and it was great. The guide gave us a lot of cool info, and the people on the tour with us were great. I’m currently hanging out at Atlantic Brewing Co while my mom shops.

20FD7A63-1C43-4CE8-BB83-C5B4414EA37B.jpeg

1F7869C1-1007-4F21-BA76-A4C778DEA13C.jpeg

6E0E0AB8-94EC-4A8E-B16D-CC8A2E3D65A3.jpeg

977AB90C-8373-4511-8036-DEC0D62DC97D.jpeg

B888131E-F4D9-4D39-A957-C9BAC6924032.jpeg

E07D2FAC-E8BE-4F08-A02C-376B0E3D518F.jpeg

1 hour ago, heffy2 said:

I could really see myself living here, even in the winter.

Just be aware, Bar Harbor in winter is almost a ghost town, with a long drive to get to Portland or even a more modest area like Lewiston/Auburn.

And winters can be harsh; I had a job interview there when I was still thinking research was my jam, and ended up in the middle of a near-blizzard on the drive from airport to hotel. If that sort of scene is still to your liking, it can be a great place to live; by all accounts the locals are very friendly with everyone who moves there and it's a great community.