Disney Cruise Line Sued After Anteater Attack

Fuzzywuzzy

Almost a year to the date of occurence, a lawsuit has been filed against Disney Cruises and their medical provider for the treatment of injuries a passenger received from an anteater. While on an excursion off the Disney Wonder in Cartagena, Columbia a young male passenger was attacked by an anteater that resides in and roams the grounds of the National Aviary Of Columbia. The parents of the child opted to return to the Wonder to have him treated by the ship's medical department. The boy was treated for his wounds but this did not prevent him from getting a severe infection afterwards. The lawsuit claims that the medical care provided onboard was inferior, of poor quality and ineffective. The parents are seeking a monetary award for the incident that occurred in October 2018.

54 minutes ago, Fuzzywuzzy said:

Almost a year to the date of occurence, a lawsuit has been filed against Disney Cruises and their medical provider for the treatment of injuries a passenger received from an anteater. While on an excursion off the Disney Wonder in Cartagena, Columbia a young male passenger was attacked by an anteater that resides in and roams the grounds of the National Aviary Of Columbia. The parents of the child opted to return to the Wonder to have him treated by the ship's medical department. The boy was treated for his wounds but this did not prevent him from getting a severe infection afterwards. The lawsuit claims that the medical care provided onboard was inferior, of poor quality and ineffective. The parents are seeking a monetary award for the incident that occurred in October 2018.

If I were a parent, I'd assume the ship treatment was more in the form of "first aid", and that I'd need to follow-up with my family physician at home.  I would have trip insurance for medical expenses.  The kicker is the excursion waiver and general personal responsibility to watch wild animals, as they are wild animals.  It is sad that someone was bitten, but it isn't the carrier's fault, in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Is this a real story ?  Marauding anteaters ?  Really ?  Who even knew there was such a place as a Disney Wonder in Cartagena, Columbia ?

Quite real. Just type in "Disney Cruise Anteater Lawsuit" in a browser search for multiple accounts from multiple venues. And yes, Disney ships as well as Royal Caribbean make stops at the cruise port in Cartagena, Columbia.

Oh, and just an FYI because I'm one of THOSE people .... lol

It's COLOMBIA -- With an "O", not a "U" ---- Now, on the other hand there is the District of Columbia, Columbia South Carolina and Columbia Maryland, but in regards to the country, it's COLOMBIA....

OCD rant is over .... carry on.

Thank You

1 hour ago, coneyraven said:

Oh, and just an FYI because I'm one of THOSE people .... lol

It's COLOMBIA -- With an "O", not a "U" ---- Now, on the other hand there is the District of Columbia, Columbia South Carolina and Columbia Maryland, but in regards to the country, it's COLOMBIA....

OCD rant is over .... carry on.

Thank You

I was so concerned about spelling Cartagena correctly that I totally blew it on Colombia.?

I've also thought of anteaters as being non-aggressive.  Makes you wonder what provoked the animal to attack. 

Moot point as they aren't seeking damages for the attack but for the medical care after.  While the waivers and possibly any action on their part that was involved with the attack occurring are one matter, the quality of the medical care is a distinct and separate issue.  

Yet all the headlines focus on "Anteater attacks child on Disney Cruise" and only mentioning the actual legal basis of medical care later on.  Likely the desired effect their legal representative was looking for.

Mention cruise ship and the media go wonky pumping out the headlines.  

The $15k demand seems like a low amount for a lawsuit. 

Makes me wonder if they have no travel insurance and faced with the unexpected medical costs for not having any coverage out of the country they need something to seek reimbursement.  

Requesting a jury hoping for sympathy knowing a judge would see through the charade.  

Sounds like "Can't possibly be our fault so someone else must pay".