Help with drinks

Going on Anthem of the seas next year from Southampton. This is our 1st cruise. Family of 4 which includes 21 year old and 18 year old.  We never purchased drinks package at time of booking as travel agent told us to look out for buy one get one free deals. When a deal came up it was for new bookings only so she gave us wrong information. My question is this, we are away for 8 days,  the deluxe drinks package works out at £50 per person per day =£1600.00.  Are the drink prices onboard very expensive as just wondering if we would be cheaper just paying individually for drinks as we go as we will be off ship most days visiting the ports. Any advice would be appreciated. 

So drink prices in the US are around $12USD for frozen/mixed drinks. Assuming they are the same equivalent price for your cruise, you would need 6ish drinks per day to break even (could be more/less depending on bottled water, specialty coffee purchases).

On a port heavy itinerary, that may be hard to meet over the whole cruise. While some can, it also becomes can you keep up with 6 alcoholic drinks a day for 8 days in a row as well before feeling like you have just had more than enough.

Welcome to the blogs!

Drinks on board purchased drink by drink are charged in $USD and will have VAT applied on top of that.  They are also subject to a mandatory 18% gratuity charge per drink.

The beverage package will also have 18% gratuity added during check out.  That £1600.00 will become £1888.00.

This thread contains a sample bar menu from another ship but it can give you a ballpark idea of what to expect.

Options from the UK may be slightly different but this will give you a general idea.

In general terms in takes 5 or 6 alcoholic drinks per day to "break even".  This can vary slight with specialty coffee and bottled water but it's rough guideline.  

You need to consider itinerary and how many port days versus sea days.  When you are off the ship the drink package doesn't do anything for you.  Will you drink enough to make it worthwhile on port intensive cruises?  Only you and your family answer that.

58 minutes ago, Mrs messenger said:

Going on Anthem of the seas next year from Southampton. This is our 1st cruise. Family of 4 which includes 21 year old and 18 year old.  We never purchased drinks package at time of booking as travel agent told us to look out for buy one get one free deals. When a deal came up it was for new bookings only so she gave us wrong information. My question is this, we are away for 8 days,  the deluxe drinks package works out at £50 per person per day =£1600.00.  Are the drink prices onboard very expensive as just wondering if we would be cheaper just paying individually for drinks as we go as we will be off ship most days visiting the ports. Any advice would be appreciated. 

If you drink moderately and avail yourself of the free coffees and teas, it is cheaper to pay a la carte.  Remember there are some "free" or "cheap" drinks on any cruise, such as the Captain's Welcome/Crown and Anchor activities, Mimosa specials, and so forth.  The money you save and go for excursions or a nice gift in port.

Something you may want to consider (as the others were eluding to), I think the value really is only based off one notion: will you be buying a refreshment drink package? That package includes fresh juice, specialty coffee/tea, soda, and bottled water. On my cruise planner, the cost of the Refreshment Package is $26. The cost of the UBP is $56. That brings your break even alcohol purchase to 2.5 alcoholic beverages per person. 

We woke up every morning and had a green juice from the spa, a specialty coffee or two, we were always bringing bottled water back to the room... and then of course indulging in the booze. Break down the math between the two, and let that help your decision!

The main reason i get the drinks package is for peace of mind....

6 drinks may seem a lot but if as said previously you have a speciality coffee at breakfast then head off onshore grabbing your bottles of water then you are down to only 5 drinks!

Once back onboard you will be grabbing a nice glass of wine or a cold beer on the pool deck while you relax after a day sightseeing, before heading off for your evening meal which of course will be accompanied by a glass of red ( or 2 )

That means throughout the rest of the evening watching the shows, listening to music or hitting the club until the early hours you only need 3 drinks to break even. 

And in the morning when you switch on the TV and check your account theres no large bill waiting to be paid...thats the best part ?

I'm not a big drinker and DH can be moderate drinker but we treated ourselves on our next cruise.  One thing I'm looking forward to is trying new drinks.  I won't finish them all and I'm sure there will be things I don't like,but it's a chance to try a new wine at dinner or something different, which I wouldn't order otherwise.