Flight and Airline Tips

PG Cruiser

Many of us are headed to San Juan for the RoyalCaribbeanBlog group cruise on Freedom this December.  Here's my observations...

Reasonable prices:

• JetBlue
  • Southwest

Cut-rate prices:

• Frontier
  • Spirit

Since you live in Jaxsonville, not sure what your direct options would be. I imagine you could fly American to Miami and then to San Juan.

19 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

I'm looking at ports overseas to sail from.  Right now I'm looking at San Juan, PR for a sailing on the Freedom.  I'm flying out of Jacksonville, FL.  What airlines offer good deals for Puerto Rico? 

Just to clarify, "overseas" is usually meant as a foreign country, and San Juan is in the exact same country as Jacksonville...

As far as "good deals" go, you'll just have to do your own search. Airline prices change all of the time, and unless you have a solid date picked, the best you can do is search for current fares in a similar time of year...but even that's no guarantee that they will remain the same. You have no nonstops, but the easiest would probably be to go via MIA (on AA), FLL (on B6; WN is stopping JAX-FLL service before your trip), CLT (on AA), or ATL (on DL or WN), as everything else would result in an even more drastic backtrack. 

You may also want to look at driving to Orlando and flying a nonstop from there on either Frontier, Spirit, Soutwest, or JetBlue. Could end up being a good savings and a chance to get a nonstop. 

11 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

Having just done this search for the Freedom Group Cruise, from Jax the cheapest will most likely be Southwest.  And you may want to consider Orlando as the routes from Jax to San Juan all went through FLL.  Orlando has direct flights.

@AshleyDillo, what is the Freedom Group Cruise? 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Many of us are headed to San Juan for the RoyalCaribbeanBlog group cruise on Freedom this December.  Here's my observations...

Reasonable prices:

• JetBlue
  • Southwest

Cut-rate prices:

• Frontier
  • Spirit

Since you live in Jaxsonville, not sure what your direct options would be. I imagine you could fly American to Miami and then to San Juan.

Thanks @Matt for this info.  I've been seeing this on aggregator sites, I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything.   

Sailed out of Puerto Rico in 2013 on Adventure, flew JetBlue from SWF to FLL to SJU and it was a nice and easy flight, even with the layover. On the way back the bartender at FLL remembered us :).

Google Flights show nothing direct and a few flights with long layovers. Personally, from the airlines that seem to service routes to SJU from JAX, I'd choose JetBlue or Southwest. Good Luck!