Cheap Ways to Enjoy the Ports

Jetty1441

Hi All!

So... my husband and I love cruises and we thought this year we would take a somewhat cheaper cruise. Our plan for this cruise is to enjoy the ship (Independence of the Seas) more than the ports; hoping we can save some money this way. This being said, I need help!

We already decided we are getting the Drink package as we can enjoy it on the cruise and at Labadee and while we would love love love to do the Dragon Zip Line or Parasailing we think this year we should skip these and enjoy some free/cheap activities instead.

So, what free/cheap activities do you recommend for Labadee and Falmouth? Should we just skip Jamaica completely and hang out on the ship?

Thank you in advance for all your help! I am loving this blog!!!! :)

Jetty

Well in Labadee with the drink package, plus all the free things to do and see there you wont have a problem filling that day on the island. Different beaches to visit, walking trails...lots to explore on the island compared to Cococay for example.

As for Falmouth, there isn't much to do right at the port really. I mean there are LOTS of shops and some restaurants you can look around, but outside of the port area not much to do unless an excursion booked.

I was just there and spent an hour or two wandering around the port and had a cpl drinks at Marguaratville but was back on the boat to enjoy it being half empty.

Honestly, Independence is such a big boat with so much to see and do you could stay on all day and not be bored.

Was one of my fav ships and cruises that I did.

Here's how I'd do Falmouth on the cheap (and within the compound):

1st stop is Diamonds International. On the second floor is a open bar with free WiFi. Just march in and head up the escalator like you know what you are doing and that will likely head-off being badgered by a salesperson on the main floor. Tipping the bartender a $10 bill will insure you are a welcome guest for quite a while in their unique little lounge.

Then enjoy some ethnic dancing with whatever band is busking in the square that day.

Next stop is the pool inside Margaritaville. Admission is free, the pool attractive, and watching the patrons at the swim up bar wasting away is a lot of fun. You'll probably buy a drink or two, perhaps a bite to eat. But still a minor hit on the budget--and walking distance from the ship.

Note: wear your bathing suit with a cover up, flip flops, a towel from the ship, and most importantly; sun screen. I guess your sea pass might be considered important. But being a homeless person living on a lounge chair at the Margaritaville pool wouldn't be the worst retirement plan.

It maybe a minority opinion here but I believe nothing in most ports can equal the ships. Some many people look for great things to do in these ports when the best thing overall in the port is the ship. I love port days on the ship because it is a great time to enjoy the ship.

Being able to walk around and have a empty ship is its own reward. You can also find something to do around the port for very low or no costs. For those on a budget if you cut out the extras on the average cruise and saved those funds it would be cost to the cost of another cruise in many cases.  

It maybe a minority opinion here but I believe nothing in most ports can equal the ships. Some many people look for great things to do in these ports when the best thing overall in the port is the ship. I love port days on the ship because it is a great time to enjoy the ship.

Being able to walk around and have a empty ship is its own reward. You can also find something to do around the port for very low or no costs. For those on a budget if you cut out the extras on the average cruise and saved those funds it would be cost to the cost of another cruise in many cases.  

I sooooo agree with you ! The ship itself is a destination. During port days,I like to read the cruise compass and try new things, new activities.