Orlando or Port Canaveral pre-departure overnight stay

Roly

We stayed at the La Quinta Orlando Airport North. Nothing fancy - bed, bathroom, standard complimentary breakfast (I saw signs for a pool but we weren't there long enough to use it). But it does have a shuttle to/from the airport and is within walking distance of dinner options (mostly chain restaurants) and a Walgreens (for any last minute supplies, and has selection of wine to bring onboard). It was easy to be picked up by a Lyft to the port the next morning, took about 45 minutes on a Sunday morning.

Tip: if you book directly via their website, there's free cancellation. So if you find that the rate has gone down it's easy to cancel and re-book with the lower rate.

1 hour ago, Roly said:

We are flying into Orlando and sailing out of Port Canaveral, in February 2020. Looking for recommendations for our pre-departure overnight stay.

If you want the beach or similar atmosphere, there are several motels at Cocoa Beach.  There are also a few closer to the port.  Most have shuttle service to the port.  You'll find a number of recommendations on previous posts.  So decide on your price-point or objective for the early arrival, and check the web advertisements.

We leave in 3 weeks for our cruise out of Port Canaveral. After reviewing the costs of the hotels close to the port, we opted for staying in Orlando. It seemed like we can get a way nicer hotel for the same cost. My biggest concern was transportation to the port; the end decision was to just book an Uber/Lyft to get there. Private conveyance was going to be about the same cost for 2 people, but without having to shuttle with other guests. CruiseTipsTV Had a pretty good review of Go Port if you're looking for other other options!

3 hours ago, S0nny said:

We leave in 3 weeks for our cruise out of Port Canaveral. After reviewing the costs of the hotels close to the port, we opted for staying in Orlando. It seemed like we can get a way nicer hotel for the same cost. My biggest concern was transportation to the port; the end decision was to just book an Uber/Lyft to get there. Private conveyance was going to be about the same cost for 2 people, but without having to shuttle with other guests. CruiseTipsTV Had a pretty good review of Go Port if you're looking for other other options!

Tons more options in Orlando than the port and it is only about a 45 min drive from the airport.  Easy peasy drive.  Port Canaveral is my favorite port for the ease in it all.

I look forward to hear how your trip was @S0nny

3 hours ago, S0nny said:

There are way to many things to do and hotels in central florida to ever give an exact place/event that will appeal to an individual and their budget via an Internet forum.  So the question is kind of vague.   For hotels you have everything to choose from, starting at the Waldorf-Astoria or Four Seasons down to simple low cost options. That said, there are also some items that might help begin planning or for other people to give suggestions.  I’ll start with a few key details about your travel and give some general big buckets to start from.

First thing is defining - overnight stay.  If you are truly just doing an overnight that probably entails arriving in the evening from your travels.  With boarding starting in the mid morning then you likely will benefit from just getting a hotel, getting a good nights sleep and then coordinating travel to the port.

If an evening arrival is the case, then there are really two viable options.  Grab a hotel at or near the airport and travel over to the port in the AM, OR travel over to the port after arrival and get a hotel near near the coast.  That will allow you to relax some in the morning, or pick up some last minute items and then head over to check-in.

If you are planning on arriving early enough to have a full day before boarding then you have a few more options.

- One option, an probably the most viable, is to head to the coast/port area.  You have the beach, space center, dinner at the port watching ships sail away all as options.  Plus you have a short trip in the morning to the port itself.

- Some folks like to do a day in Orlando parks.  Since most of the theme parks are about 1-1 1/2 hour drive to the port it is pretty easy.  If you don’t want to do a park ticket they have shopping and dining areas that the general public can access.  There are plenty of low key attractions (Gatorland, etc.) Also there are a few outlet malls (and regular malls) for those that want to just shop.  There are also special events and things start rolling at Daytona in February so that might be an option depending on you actual dates and interest.  

Those are just some thoughts, happy planning!

We always stay the the Hyatt Regency inside of MCO.  They have a great restaurant on site, you still have access to the food area and stores inside the terminal, makes for a great overnight stay.  In the morning, we either catch a transfer to the port from the ground transportation area in the terminal or grab an Uber/Lyft.  I have looked at the hotels in Port Canaveral many times but they always seem a bit more run down to me...

As mentioned above...so many variables and things to consider. I have done this many times and doing it again next mth when I board Harmony.

Its way cheaper to stay in Orlando is the simple answer. There are lots of shuttle and transportation options as well. More to do and see in Orlando as well if you have time.

Just comes down to budget at end of the day, if money doesn't matter then Port Canaveral...if money DOES matter..you can usually book the hotel AND transport out of Orlando for the price of just the hotel in Port Canaveral...........

8 hours ago, monctonguy said:

Just comes down to budget at end of the day, if money doesn't matter then Port Canaveral...if money DOES matter..you can usually book the hotel AND transport out of Orlando for the price of just the hotel in Port Canaveral...........

But either way, you have to pay for transportation to the port... whether you stay in Orlando/near the airport and transfer in the morning, or if you stay at a hotel near the port.  So isn't the difference just the difference of the hotel?  

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 5:28 PM, WannaCruise said:

But either way, you have to pay for transportation to the port... whether you stay in Orlando/near the airport and transfer in the morning, or if you stay at a hotel near the port.  So isn't the difference just the difference of the hotel?  

I booked the hotel, transport to the port and back to the airport(and airport shuttle to the hotel) for $110 all in right now.....cant beat that....

I drove my own car from South Carolina to the Hampton Inn near Orlando airport. I chose this option because it was cheaper and had better reviews than the hotels near Port Canaveral/Cocoa Beach.  I used the Go Port Canaveral parking package through the hotel and drove my car the next morning to their parking lot about 3 miles from the ship.  This was a very pleasant experience all around and I would do it again.  Hampton Inn was nice and clean. I believe they offered a shuttle service to the port as well for those who flew into Orlando and stayed at the hotel.