Documentaries?

SteveinSC

Amazon has many videos online, a few covered by Prime, most are a small charge.  

Go to the Prime Video area and search for "Cruise Ship".

There is an episode of National Geographic's Worlds Toughest Fixes where they cut open the hull and insert a new power plant into Radiance.  They use the same dry dock in Freeport during this older video that buckled and caused the crane to fall onto Oasis this year.   Fascinating stuff.  Season one, episode five best $3 I've spent in a while.

1 hour ago, SteveinSC said:

Alright, fellow obsessed cruisers. I'm looking for some content to binge. What are some documentaries featuring RC (or other) cruise ships that I can watch, and what app/service are they on? Thanks in advance. 

The Mighty Ships cable program, I believe a National Geographic channel, has numerous cruise ship videos.

Theres a series on Discovery (UK Discovery anyway) called Mega Cruise ships, its been really good, all different Cruise lines and itineraries 

As @Ray mentioned Cruising with Jane McDonald is good too and also covered River Cruises if you're interested in those too

Last one I can think of is a series just called The Cruise which follows the life on board Majestic Princess. Think they've done 3 seasons of that across her different itineraries

Hey @SteveinSC !

See if you can track this series down... they feature many RC ships... I watched the Allure episode which was excellent a couple of years ago... having a hard time finding it now...

Yes, love the Mega Food episode on Oasis... it's currently available on Netflix...

image.thumb.png.94f09a5972d9028eb34a9db2f76322fa.png

Another awesome documentary on Harmony and turnaround day... try pulling it up through the Science Channel website and log in through you cable provider: https://www.sciencechannel.com/tv-shows/mega-machines-sea-giants/

image.thumb.png.a093d53fd1e1c30662e850a563b650f1.png

Another video of Allure drydock...

There was a show on UK TV recently about the worlds most expensive cruiseship,  the Seven Seas Explorer from Regent Seven Seas Cruises. The Top suite was massive and had it's OWN bar in it! You wanted a drink you called staff to come pour you one! also had a piano and yes if you wanted music you called someone to come play it. 

the show was called " secrets of the worlds most expensive cruiseship"  

9 hours ago, flamtapgt said:

There's also a Science Channel "Impossible Engineering" episode about building Harmony: 

https://www.sciencechannel.com/tv-shows/impossible-engineering/full-episodes/worlds-biggest-cruise-ship?

Thanks! Just watched it... all from the engineering perspective (as titled), so it may not interest everyone. We liked it!

• 2 months later...

Just an FYI... I stumbled across "Dream Cruises" again tonight!

It's back in re-runs!

Here in NY, and on Verizon Fios, it's channel 669 in HD ("AWE" HD channel)

Looks like they are running Season 1 over the next week which includes Navigator (pre-amp of course), Rhapsody, Allure, Brilliance, Explorer, Voyageur, Vision and Legend... also many of the older MSC ships (still very interesting since they also cover some excursions)...

They rebroadcast each epsiode many times... Navigator first on FRI, 1/10/20 at 9:00 PM (EST)... I'm going to DVR them to get my cruise fix!

https://www.awetv.com/dreamcruises/

https://www.awetv.com/schedule/

On 10/18/2019 at 6:48 PM, Ray said:

There was a show on UK TV recently about the worlds most expensive cruiseship,  the Seven Seas Explorer from Regent Seven Seas Cruises. The Top suite was massive and had it's OWN bar in it! You wanted a drink you called staff to come pour you one! also had a piano and yes if you wanted music you called someone to come play it. 

the show was called " secrets of the worlds most expensive cruiseship"  

That was a good one to watch, not sure if it was the same or maybe a different episode but they did an "experiment" on board where the passengers chose the next port. Basically they gathered them all and the passengers up a coloured ball in a container that signified the next port, depending on the current location of the ship they had 2 or 3 to chose from.

Was really good to watch as none of the crew knew where they would be going so once the votes where in then everyone had to scramble to make it happen, the kitchen more than most to try and get food in, and with the price people were paying the food had to top quality

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Just stumbled across yet another Symphony documentary... so can’t wait to get back out there!

This one covers the Mediterranean itinerary...

Series is available for me on demand on Smithsonian Channel... “Mighty Cruise Ships”, Season 3, Episode 5, “Symphony of the Seas” which originally aired on 4/28/2019...

This is just the preview... available on demand, but will also be broadcast on the Smithsonian Channel on Sat, 1/23/21 at 2:00 am... time to DVR it just in case! ?

I think I'm overly obsessed with watching these documentaries and seeking out ANYTHING on YouTube for people's vlogs! I really enjoy watching them, learning the ins and outs of how others approach cruising and thinking of how we could make our experiences that much better for it. I think I enjoy these much more than TV show haha! I've even had the cool luck to spot ourselves in the background of one vloggers trip aboard Harmony! Needless to say I rewatch that one a bit more ?. Do you guys have any regulars, go-to's, that you look for, for vlogs on YouTube that may not be as known?