Mexican Currency

Alibou3193

Cozumel workers that support the cruise industry seem to like Dollars more than Peso's from what I have been seeing. I'm sure they would be glad to get any money but dollars work very well on the Island. They will even make change to you in Dollars too.

I do think that Guest Services can convert to Peso's if I am remembering correctly but I just have never done it before.

Your bank, locally, can either do this for you, or best advise you where to do it before you travel for your cruise. You'll want to ask the conversion rate, as the business doing the conversion can determine their own (within reason) rate. A quick Google search can give you a quick reference point. 

That being said, I wouldn't bother. You don't need to worry about conversion rate if you use US dollars, and in each Latin American country I've been to, they DO prefer US dollars, as it's commonly more stable than their own currency. 

2 hours ago, Alibou3193 said:

My husband and I will be visiting Cozumel on our upcoming trip in 2020. He would like to have some pesos in hand, even though we both know USD is accepted. My question is, can guest services in the ships convert USD to pesos? If not, any suggestions on how to do this? 

At the port itself many gift shops post conversion rates.  I saw one store in September that was only 15 pesos per dollar while most were 19 and one was 20. 

We ordered our pesos from the bank before the cruise, but you can withdraw from ATMs in Mexico if you have notified your bank, etc.

We really didn't need any pesos at all, even on the excursions.  Everyone took USD, as noted by @SteveinSC

1 hour ago, Jack_Lime said:

Im going to Cozumel this december on majesty, and already bought a neat little stack of pesos because my bank had a decent rate.

All these replies say that they would prefer USD... Did I make a mistake?

Nope. It still spends....and it's a cool souvenir, because you will probably have some left, when you get home. 

EVERYONE in Cozumel takes US Dollars. Occasionally, you get change back in pesos because they do not have enough US currency.

There is one reason to convert to pesos, however, and that is the exchange rate.  There's no question a random coffee shop or store owner isn't giving you the best conversion rate. 

Personally, I couldn't be bothered to convert to pesos, but larger purchases may be worthwhile.

3 minutes ago, Alibou3193 said:

So, I started to think about this a little more and came up with another question. When it comes to taxi rides or food bills, are they converted to USD? I'm just wondering how we will know how much to actually fork over.

Taxi cost has always been posted in US dollars.

Food, menus might have prices in both Mexican pesos and US dollars. Some places only list prices in Mexican pesos with an exchange rates posted elsewhere. Bill will typically in Mexican pesos with a US dollar amount next to it.

Best thing is to keep an eye out for any conversion charts in the open.

33 minutes ago, dancingfish said:

So how much cash should one carry? And should you bring a lot of $1 bills ?  I know this sounds like a crazy question. But for taxi rides and tips and a taco... not for big stuff.

Second keeping a reasonable stash of $1s and $5s on hand. If you plan on any type of dining maybe add a few $10s and $20s. With food in general it will depend on where and the cost. Restaurant on the main road, could easily be $15 to $20 a person. Go a few block in that could be cut in half.

One thing to also remember is the cab fare in Cozumel is based on group. So it is always best to find others that might be going to the same place. Just make sure the driver is aware that you're traveling a group. I'd also verify price prior to the ride.

I have never exchanged for Pesos for a cruise. Our visit to Cabo two years ago was for 5 days and that made sense to do so.  I have one of my accounts with BBVA (Texas, Florida, Alabama, Colorado, & New Mexico branches). It is a bank headquartered in Alabama BUT it is a bank from Spain and they have branches in Mx. There is NO exchange fees and most like there is a BBVA in any town in Mexico (there was one in Cabo) so no ATM fees also.

bbva mx.JPG

I have a credit card that doesn't charge me a foreign currency exchange fee so when it's an option I have them charge in pesos.  Usually my credit card's conversion rate is much better than the posted conversation rate.  But everywhere takes US$ and the smaller bills the better because sometimes they will claim they don't have change when you try to give them a $20 ?