Insurance - repatriation - how much is enough?

raahc

This is the one part of cruising that is absolutely necessary, but stressful to research!

I'm reading the fine print of one quote and the medical portion covers $5 million per person, however, there are limits to return of deceased (up to $5,000). My husband's employer covers up to $3,000, so total of $8,000.

How do I know what the cost would be?  It would all depend on if/where this would occur.  I asked the insurance provider and they could not comment.  They advised me to look at the Government of Canada's website, which does not list costs.  

How do I determine how much is enough?

I recently posted a "Travel Insurance 101" podcast: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/podcast/episode-315-travel-insurance-101

1 minute ago, raahc said:

How do I determine how much is enough?

I'll be honest, I have no idea either. But I do know having travel insurance that provides coverage of this type of situation is better than no insurance at all.

8 hours ago, Matt said:

I recently posted a "Travel Insurance 101" podcast: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/podcast/episode-315-travel-insurance-101

I'll be honest, I have no idea either. But I do know having travel insurance that provides coverage of this type of situation is better than no insurance at all.

Thanks Matt, I think it's a morbid topic!  I purchased a good plan just now, and also made final payment on our cruise!  Now just counting the days .... ?

I listened to your podcast a while back and it was super helpful :91_thumbsup:

On 10/19/2019 at 6:44 AM, mk-ultra said:

With all of the paperwork and other legal and logistical hoops required to go through to ship a body internationally, you're usually looking at $5K on the low end and almost triple that on the high end.  Too many variables to give a hard number.

Thanks!

On 10/19/2019 at 1:25 PM, amanx said:

I think most important is to have repatriation of your Live body, for proper medical treatment.  So make sure your insurance covers that, and if ther is a cap.

Getting flown home can be like 50K.

I agree, insurance is not the place to cheap out!  Thanks!