Goodbye Grandeur

14 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

Exactly ...... She's still in the family ...... would she ever come back?  Doubtful.... but, you never know..... just look at Empress.  As for Pullmantur, along with Grandeur, she'll be sailing with her older sisters, Monarch and Sovereign.

Does anybody know anything about Pullmantur? Until the posting about Grandeur, I had never heard about the company.

15 minutes ago, FManke said:

Does anybody know anything about Pullmantur? Until the posting about Grandeur, I had never heard about the company.

No, I don't know much about it. Just knew that they got Empress for a few years then transfer back to Royal again. According to Wikipedia  has 49% of the company other 51% own by Springwater Capital. The link to Wikipedia below if anyone interest

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pullmantur_Cruises

19 hours ago, FManke said:

Currently Sovereign and Monarch are cruising with them.

Splendour and Legend are currently with Marella formerly TUI as Marella Discovery and Discovery 2 which is also partly owned by Royal Caribbean as well.

We have not sailed Grandeur yet.   Baltimore is practically in our back yard so I guess I take it for granted she would always be waiting to take us on a trip.

Looks like I need to book her before it's too late. 

No complaints about Enchantment, she was our first RCI cruise.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
8 minutes ago, twangster said:

I suspect it's more a question of the receiving cruise line continuing on the same time line.  

Just as Royal is delaying new terminals and amplifications, will Pullmantur pick up the phone and inform Royal they can't take Grandeur until some future date?

Yeah, that would break my heart ... lol

On 4/16/2020 at 8:33 AM, twangster said:

I suspect it's more a question of the receiving cruise line continuing on the same time line.  

Just as Royal is delaying new terminals and amplifications, will Pullmantur pick up the phone and inform Royal they can't take Grandeur until some future date?

Just curious to know...is the deal "as is" or would Royal do some level of refurbishments, before turning it over? 

• 7 months later...
9 hours ago, Koepper said:

My wife and I had hoped to take one final cruise on Grandeur in February but I guess we will probably not get that chance.

All of Maryland says good bye to Grandeur. ?

And Hello to Enchantment!!! ? 

I was booked for Grandeur’s supposed farewell sailing in March 2021 (under Royal) but this pandemic turned everything upside down.

On 12/5/2020 at 6:49 AM, ericfromripp said:

i honestly don't think you are going to miss anything. that ship has been "sold" several times but because of its poor condition, nobody wants it.  the vision class used to be great but now royal just doesn't have the time or money to do regular maintenance. i have been on 5 of the 6 except for splendor, the vision was one of my faves until i spent 36 days in a row on her last september and october  and there was nothing left of her charm. there is a reason why the grandeur cruise was always 1/3 the price of a cruise on a nicer ship.

I’m not very picky with ships.  I book cruises on them more for bucket list reasons like class namesakes, inaugural and farewell sailings.

1 hour ago, coneyraven said:

And with sailings being canceled till the end of February, that eliminates all her sailings through the end of March.

What is notable to me is that they realigned some ships, swapping home ports and such but they found no place for Grandeur in that mix.  That was a few months ago now and even now there is still nothing for Grandeur past March.

Surely if they planned to keep her they'd announce something and start taking deposits for cruises.  Right when things are supposed to be opening back up you would think if she was staying they would want people booking her.  

Maybe they used her to secure credit and can't deal with her right now but will once March arrives.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

What is notable to me is that they realigned some ships, swapping home ports and such but they found no place for Grandeur in that mix.  That was a few months ago now and even now there is still nothing for Grandeur past March.

Surely if they planned to keep her they'd announce something and start taking deposits for cruises.  Right when things are supposed to be opening back up you would think if she was staying they would want people booking her.  

Maybe they used her to secure credit and can't deal with her right now but will once March arrives.

That's what I was thinking, plus, I think she was the only one with a Red Status when it came to being able to go to the Bahamas.   Something is going on .... If I was a betting man, my thought is they may try to resurrect Pullmantur using her and Horizon ..... and it wouldn't surprise me if they pull Empress and/or Majesty in the mix as needed.

6 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

That's what I was thinking, plus, I think she was the only one with a Red Status when it came to being able to go to the Bahamas.   Something is going on .... If I was a betting man, my thought is they may try to resurrect Pullmantur using her and Horizon ..... and it wouldn't surprise me if they pull Empress and/or Majesty in the mix as needed.

I thought Horizon was being pulled apart at a Greek yard.  Everyone focuses on Turkey and India but there are other ship breaking yards.  

Rumors circulating that two M class Celebrity ships are going to a reorganized Pullmantur.  Add Grandeur and they are back at three ships.  

Empress is garnering high prices for it's OV cabins to boutique destinations.  I could see Royal trying to keep her for those special routes.  Majesty is a different story but if she breaks even in NOLA or turns a small profit they might keep her just in case Cuba comes back in 2023 or beyond.  

• 1 month later...

Hi all from a cold and wet Wales, UK.

Long time no post from me, so belated Happy New Years, and I hope everybody is doing ok in these rather unusual times.

Our 3 back to backs on Ovation in 2018 gave us the cruising bug, but the ships and trips most suitable for us in 2019 and 2020 were on 'other' cruise lines (boo!) purely due to the itineraries. Please forgive us!

Great news is we will be on this 14 day Grandeur trip next February so be prepared for some stupid questions! Totally gutted I only booked the outside cabin and not the balcony as when I went back a day later to change they were all gone!!

Quite a few excursions are already listed so will be googling reviews/suggestions in the coming days. 

Stay safe.