Goodbye Grandeur

18 hours ago, baltodave said:

I noticed that the currently listed last 2 sailings of Enchantment will be the first 2 weeks of April 2021 out of San Juan.  Does this mean there may be an Enchantment repositioning cruise from San Juan to Baltimore in Spring 2021?   

If it wasn't for my mother's 80th Birthday, I'd be all in for that ....... Hey...... This just gave me an idea for an 80th Birthday present ..... hmmmm, will have to watch the itineraries.

1 minute ago, baltodave said:

@coneyraven You'll have to change your title from "Grandeur Poo-Bah" to something else.   So sad!

Yeah, @twangster and I were chatting about that ..... perhaps Bloody Marylander (for my public love of Bloody Maryland's) ..... or perhaps a combo name like Entchantimore - but, of course, that would have to happen AFTER I actually sail on her..... Or perhaps "Grand Enchantment" --- a combo of both ships.  I may have to put several ideas out there, or solicit ideas and go with a poll...... I'll also need for @twangster to replace my Fez with something else ...... maybe just a can of Old Bay,.... lol

I was just on Grandeur of the Seas not too long ago. She was a beautiful, yet matured ship. Some parts of the ship were worn, which is understandable since the ship is 23 years old. She rusted at some spots, especially outside. Also, considering that she had propulsion issues lately, I am not that surprised that she is leaving Royal Caribbean. I am certainly sad about this, don’t get me wrong, but Enchantment of the Seas with even more exciting features will take her place in Baltimore. I think everyone can say that they are excited for Royal Caribbean’s future.

Long time reader, first time caller...

I have loved sailing on Grandeur for the past decade (8 times). Change is always hard, but I think Enchantment is a better ship. 2 pools, bigger pool area, Boleros lounge are great features.

I did a repo cruise on Grandeur in 2008 from Puerto Rico to Baltimore. It would be great to book Enchantment repo in 2021.

I am currently reading a review on cruise critic from a guy who was just on Enchantment and overall not very happy.. Its him, his wife, and 2 kids and they are in an owners suite.. They previously were on Vision and had a wonderful time and loved it so its not that they only like big ships.. In the review he explains how the ship is just not maintained very well, its disorganized, and generally not up to snuff for Royal Standards.. I personally couldn't agree more and think Royal is making a mistake when placing Enchantment in Baltimore.. 

10 hours ago, AGSLC5 said:

I am currently reading a review on cruise critic from a guy who was just on Enchantment and overall not very happy.. Its him, his wife, and 2 kids and they are in an owners suite.. They previously were on Vision and had a wonderful time and loved it so its not that they only like big ships.. In the review he explains how the ship is just not maintained very well, its disorganized, and generally not up to snuff for Royal Standards.. I personally couldn't agree more and think Royal is making a mistake when placing Enchantment in Baltimore.. 

UGH

4 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

UGH

Exactly.. Good thing your moving to Florida in the next few years because I just don't think Enchantment is for you and its not like I only went on her 1 time.. When she did 3/4 days out of Miami I went on her 4 maybe 5 times and I was so happy when they decided to first replace her with Mariner and now Navigator. They really should sell Enchantment as well. 

1 hour ago, twangster said:

A part of me wonders if they tried to move Enchantment to Pullmantur but their leadership said "No thanks... but we'll take Grandeur".  

When I sailed Enchantment last September it seemed like they were letting her go on purpose and it immediately popped in my head she is for sale.

Sounds reasonable to me !  I think maybe the reasoning goes something like this:  "Enchantment was very popular when she sailed from Baltimore before.  Maybe we can sneak her into Baltimore again and nobody will notice".

We sailed on Grandeur twice this year; March and September. In March she was really starting to show her age; rust throughout, stains on ceiling, etc. When we sailed in September I was struck by how much better she looked. It appeared that everything had been painted and deep cleaned. While on the cruise we saw cruise members continuously cleaning; polishing, cleaning glass, on knees cleaning small stains on the carpets, etc.. One of the Windjammer told me that while the ship was docked in Baltimore in early September due to the weather the crew cleaned the whole time. Perhaps this was to get her ready for the change. 

Just now, PG Cruiser said:

Do you think they will be dealing with that, at least cosmetically, or will the Lady G look like a store that’s having a “closing out sale” on its final sailing?

Who knows.  My guess is they will continue to perform routine maintenance and try and keep this kind of thing to a minimum but I doubt they will do much with the rust in places where it's not highly visible.  It was in places like underneath the balconies above me. etc...where no one could see it from the outside but you could see it looking up from your balcony.

My wife and l were on the Grandeur twice, once on the Enchantment. Both ships in the same class, somebody last time l was on the blog said they could fit a bigger ship under the Key bridge, when l got the email about the Grandeur l was hoping they would go to the next bigger class ship, like the vision class We were on the Jewel of the Sea, absolutely love that ship. My wife and l have been on bigger ships in RCI, but everybody has a favorite. I got to say this about the Grandeur, the staff on that ship they are top shelve! Now we all know that RCI has some of the best staff on all there ships in the business. But both times on the Grandeur they were incredible!!! They stood out over the other crews on the other ships. Now don't get me wrong my wife and l haven't had a bad crew yet on any of the other RCI ships, but the Grandeur crew was the best in our book! I feel any other ship that gets there crew will be incredible lucky. I feel everything will work out for everybody, including the Grandeur!

11 hours ago, tinman1224 said:

My wife and l were on the Grandeur twice, once on the Enchantment. Both ships in the same class, somebody last time l was on the blog said they could fit a bigger ship under the Key bridge, when l got the email about the Grandeur l was hoping they would go to the next bigger class ship, like the vision class We were on the Jewel of the Sea, absolutely love that ship. My wife and l have been on bigger ships in RCI, but everybody has a favorite. I got to say this about the Grandeur, the staff on that ship they are top shelve! Now we all know that RCI has some of the best staff on all there ships in the business. But both times on the Grandeur they were incredible!!! They stood out over the other crews on the other ships. Now don't get me wrong my wife and l haven't had a bad crew yet on any of the other RCI ships, but the Grandeur crew was the best in our book! I feel any other ship that gets there crew will be incredible lucky. I feel everything will work out for everybody, including the Grandeur!

You are correct on what will fit under the bridges ....... Radiance Class ships are, apparently, the same size as the Carnival Pride (the Baltimore ported Carnival ship) ..... so, that opens the door to potentially Brilliance, Serenade, Jewel and/or Radiance being able to come to Charm City ..... but instead, they stuck with Vision Class (albeit, slightly bigger) Enchantment -- I am curious to see how Enchantment works out, since she was here before Grandeur, but with the lack of Specialty Restaurants, (no Giovanni's Table or Izumi), I wonder if there will be any blow-back, or, if they could be added before her arrival in '21.  I know, for us, Izumi, by far, has been our favorite Specialty Restaurant.... so glad she's being added to Freedom.

After all Royal Caribbean did not sell to other cruise company. Lady G is just jioning the sister company Pullmantur Cruises (Parents company is Royal Caribbean).Possible she will sail in Europe instead.

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/royal-caribbean-grandeur-of-the-seas-leaves-baltimore-replaced-by-enchantment-of-the-seas/29564759

https://www.google.com/search?q=Pullmantur+Cruises&rlz=1CAEAQE_enUS718US718&oq=Pullmantur+Cruises&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

47 minutes ago, Susie said:

After all Royal Caribbean did not sell to other cruise company. Lady G is just jioning the sister company Pullmantur Cruises (Parents company is Royal Caribbean).Possible she will sail in Europe instead.

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/royal-caribbean-grandeur-of-the-seas-leaves-baltimore-replaced-by-enchantment-of-the-seas/29564759

https://www.google.com/search?q=Pullmantur+Cruises&rlz=1CAEAQE_enUS718US718&oq=Pullmantur+Cruises&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Exactly ...... She's still in the family ...... would she ever come back?  Doubtful.... but, you never know..... just look at Empress.  As for Pullmantur, along with Grandeur, she'll be sailing with her older sisters, Monarch and Sovereign.