Oasis of the Seas - Star Class - Royal Genie

Pookie

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

@Pookie is this thread your blog?  Because if it is, I will move it to the live blog section.

Is it too early to start a live blog?  I heard a rumor that people start their blogs early here?

i actually have one started and mistakenly posted my “received the genie questionnaire here by mistake.  What a rookie mistake!

• 4 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, Pookie said:

@Lovetocruise2002

Could you please move this to the Live Blog section?  I thought that was where I started this, but apparently I was wrong!

And somehow I started two threads...what a colossal newbie!

Thank  you!

Don't feel bad.  I make a career out of posting on the wrong threads.  It's my "thing".

1 hour ago, Pookie said:

@Lovetocruise2002

Could you please move this to the Live Blog section?  I thought that was where I started this, but apparently I was wrong!

And somehow I started two threads...what a colossal newbie!

Thank  you!

@Matt moved it for you.  No worries.  People post things in the wrong sections all the time! lol

So to keep the information flowing smoothly, I will mention again (since I apparently posted it in the other thread) that we received our Genie letter last night!  It arrived 34 days out.  I can now quit obsessively checking my email every 3 minutes?

WE HAVE ALLAN!

Over the past month, since turning in our questionnaire, we have been compiling an outline of possibilities, wants and even a couple of leave off the lists.  For all that, it was not a very big list...Allan did thank us in this initial email for turning in our questionnaire.

We emailed the list we made tonight.  Hopefully it doesn’t make his eyes cross and will help make his job easier...

From what we’ve read about him, we have hit the Genie Jackpot.  I’d love to hear your favorite memories of Allan!

200.gif

If you Google 'Genie tip,' you'll see the gamut.

Tipping is so personal, and i will say there is no appropriate or inappropriate tip. If there was, Royal would suggest an amount, but they don't. 

I learned long ago to tip whatever is in your heart and what you can sleep with at night. And then kiss it up to God. There will always be people who tip more and people who tip less. It's not worth the stress of wondering if you tipped too little or that you can no longer afford something else because you broke your bank tipping what some random stranger on the interweb decided was a "normal" tip.

I know this isn't the answer you're looking for, but also in my experience, I've learned that the people willing to give you a total amount tipped are the ones who are either very generous (misers don't tend to shout their tips from the rooftop) or don't put their tip into perspective. Tip amount is meaningless to me without specifying # of people, # of days, and how high or low maintenance you tend to be or if any out-of-the-norm courtesies were extended to you. 

That said, we tipped $1K. (Kidding!)

6 hours ago, SweetPea said:

If you Google 'Genie tip,' you'll see the gamut.

Tipping is so personal, and i will say there is no appropriate or inappropriate tip. If there was, Royal would suggest an amount, but they don't. 

I learned long ago to tip whatever is in your heart and what you can sleep with at night. And then kiss it up to God. There will always be people who tip more and people who tip less. It's not worth the stress of wondering if you tipped too little or that you can no longer afford something else because you broke your bank tipping what some random stranger on the interweb decided was a "normal" tip.

I know this isn't the answer you're looking for, but also in my experience, I've learned that the people willing to give you a total amount tipped are the ones who are either very generous (misers don't tend to shout their tips from the rooftop) or don't put their tip into perspective. Tip amount is meaningless to me without specifying # of people, # of days, and how high or low maintenance you tend to be or if any out-of-the-norm courtesies were extended to you. 

That said, we tipped $1K. (Kidding!)

^^^^What she said.^^^^

From past experience, in addition to the food coma, we have also experienced the booze coma.  One thing we find distasteful is watered down drinks because the ice melts when we’re not swilling them fast enough.  In an effort to slow the process down, I requested of our Genie that any drinks brought/ordered to our stateroom have no ice and to also keep us stocked in ice.  AND I purchased these:

bottoms up cheers GIF

image.jpeg

On our last cruise, we had an owners suite and took our son and his girlfriend.  I had an almost fatal accident in not realizing that they are not neat and tidy with their belongings as my hubster and me.  They were situated in the “living room” which was between us and the balcony. One of the things I love to do is rise super early to see the sunrise/enjoy the balcony while it is quiet.  Just a me and the sea sort of thing.  The first morning I popped out of bed and went to the go out on the balcony and in the complete darkness, tripped over a pair of shoes, pirouetted and took out a side chair with a whole bunch of clothing that actually ended up cushioning my fall, got back up, snagged my foot in more clothing and went down again.  I think a somersault was involved, but was too shocked and laughing too hard to be fully sure.  Needless to say, I didn’t try to do that again for the rest of the trip.

While they are not cruising with us this time, I bought battery tea lights to help traverse nighttime wanderings anyway ?

281819FA-980F-412A-8141-98DFDEEEAC05.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Packing cubes are awesome for the most part and you can squeeze a ton of stuff in them...the pic below with the cubes/ suitcase weighed in as is at 52.7 lbs.  Darn it, even bare bones wardrobe weighs a lot.  My husband is 6’ 6” with a size 14 foot.  His shoes alone could fill a small carry on?Art History Lol GIF by Acorn TV

1B795E53-97E7-413D-8D81-2794FC59415C.jpeg

We are into single digit days!

I booked our flights quite some time ago.  Not sure why I bothered, because there have been two schedule changes made by the airline, which now prevents us from the first world problem of not having first class (booked because my hubster is 6’6” and is not fond of being folded accordion style).  
I am actually all packed already, except for last minute items!  This is unprecedented.  I don’t know what to do with myself now...

95F2DA1B-3881-4C67-9293-9F5FDBFC988E.jpeg

So you were FC but now you're not ?  What happened ?  Did they have a change of equipment that eliminated your seats or FC altogether ?

This happened to us once (we were in Row 2 and on the new plane there was no longer a Row 2 !!).  I understand that it's a first world problem but it's still a disappointment and a complete PITA if you have a physical reason (6'6" of them) to be in FC and now you have to deal with the consequences.

Is the change for the entire itinerary or only one leg ?

I hope you get a nice fat refund of some of your airfare cost for the trouble.  We've got FC seats to go to Alaska in August...I bought the ticket the day the plane was available....they changed the plane on us...and while I didn't lose FC....I did lose the whole "family of 4 sitting together" and they spread us around FC....so if I hadn't been paying attention and spent 2 days on the phone trying to get Air Canada to answer the phone.....I wouldn't have had to sit next to my kids ?

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Is the change for the entire itinerary or only one leg ?

Flying to Miami on the way to cruise is first class. On the way home, we are in the second to last row to Detroit and then Two is have seat assignments on the last leg and one of us will be assigned at the gate. She put in a request for first class and told me to watch for openings.  If we do not get first class, we will receive a refund.

1 hour ago, dodgestang said:

I hope you get a nice fat refund of some of your airfare cost for the trouble.  We've got FC seats to go to Alaska in August...I bought the ticket the day the plane was available....they changed the plane on us...and while I didn't lose FC....I did lose the whole "family of 4 sitting together" and they spread us around FC....so if I hadn't been paying attention and spent 2 days on the phone trying to get Air Canada to answer the phone.....I wouldn't have had to sit next to my kids ?

If we do not receive first class, they will refund.  However, what a pain in the keister.

I vow never to fly Delta again.  Maybe I’m expecting to much, but as expensive as it is to fly first class, I think they should have fixed the issue automatically.  It was only because of my detailed nature of checking to make sure all was in order that I discovered they had rescheduled flights and we actually didn’t have enough time to get from one flight to another...

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

What IS the problem ?

My interpretation is that Delta changed flight times on the first leg of her trip that didn't allow for enough of a connection time to make the next flight.  But they didn't automatically switch her to a new flight for that second leg and she had to call them and get it done herself.  They weren't able to confirm her in First Class for the rescheduled second leg.

46 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

My interpretation is that Delta changed flight times on the first leg of her trip that didn't allow for enough of a connection time to make the next flight.  But they didn't automatically switch her to a new flight for that second leg and she had to call them and get it done herself.  They weren't able to confirm her in First Class for the rescheduled second leg.

How did I miss all of that ??  Lol. Thanks !

That totally sucks. Very bad service. I don’t blame her for being upset. ??

In the two years since booking and counting down the hair and hooves appointments since then, yesterday marked the 24th and final one.  I’m in the early senior citizenhood years and vanity has me continuing to have my hair colored to avoid resembling a Qtip.  

“Mr. DeMille, I’m ready for my close up.”?

0F352AB5-2779-4601-94A7-52D20B997AB4.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Pookie said:

In the two years since booking and counting down the hair and hooves appointments since then, yesterday marked the 24th and final one.  I’m in the early senior citizenhood years and vanity has me continuing to have my hair colored to avoid resembling a Qtip.  

“Mr. DeMille, I’m ready for my close up.”?

0F352AB5-2779-4601-94A7-52D20B997AB4.jpeg

Ha, that's awesome - wanna come do my mare's hooves?

film vintage GIF
After waking up at a time when we used to just be getting home from a night out, we left the house like a herd of geriatric turtles and have arrived safely at the airport.  
Flights appear to be on time. Luggage has been entrusted to the suitcase shepherds with the hope we will see it again.

D5998725-B94F-4752-810E-082DB013F23E.jpeg