Group booking question.

Tanner

As a general rule cruise fare will increase as the sail date approaches  (ex $1000 2 years out, $1250 18 months out, $1500 1 year out).  Does the "discounted group rate" of 8 cabins+ always equal a percentage of the current cruise fare or is it more accurate to say the group rate is more of a fixed number? 

Here's a little more specific info.  My wife, kids, and I are going to book cruise X on date X on ship X.  We know if we book earlier we will (theoretically) get the lowest fare (and if it drops we can re-price).  There is a very good chance we will get enough family to join us and we'll create our own group booking.  The only issue is we likely won't get everyone to commit as early as we want to book.  If the group rate is a flat rate then there is no rush.  If the group rate is a percentage of the fare do they use the current rate or the rate of an earlier booked guest??

Any help is appreciated!

I would consider going through a TA to help facilitate this.  They will be able to answer your questions.  If you can't get your group to commit, you can also go for refundable group rates so they wouldn't have to worry about losing a deposit.

I believe a group rate is also considered a promo and sometimes won't be able to be used in combination with the other discounts out there.  

Agree with Ashely, just use a travel agent.  Not only will they reprice (sometimes for a modest fee, but that can probably be more than paid for by your overall savings) they will almost surely be able to get you some onboard credit dollars as a perk just for using them, we've always done that to great success.  Have cruised many times with groups from 6-30+ of us with my big family on Royal and princess, cannot stress the use of a good travel agent enough.  They get paid commission by the cruise line, not us the cruisers and can answer all of the questions you have.

I have had lots of experience organizing group cruises.  It’s a PITA. Everyone enthusiastically says “YES !” When you first talk about it and then when it comes time to pony up money, everyone scrambles and disappears.  Even family.  

I totally agree that it’s best to let a TA handle this.  Just make sure that your TA understands that you expect all “bonuses” associated with the book grouping are going to be credited back to the group.  When a booking is a group booking the Agent receives all of the discounts and bonuses and if you have an unscrupulous Agent they can hold some of the benefits for themselves.  Just make sure it’s someone you trust.