Texting between two phones on board?

MicroBeta

We were on the Allure - one of the ships enhanced to work with the new app. We just used the free Royal Caribbean App's messenger and it worked great.

The only thing we didn't like was that you have to be on the ship's wifi to use it - and unless you are paying for the surf or stream packages through the ship the app is the ONLY thing that will work once you turn their Wifi on. So when we first got on the boat in Florida we turned our WiFi on to connect to the app. Then we couldn't iMessage other's back home - because it uses the internet to send - without first turning our wifi back off. Then to see if we had messages on the Royal app we had to turn on the wifi again - now not knowing if we had anything sent to us on iMessage. It was a slight inconvenience and really wasn't important. Only impacted us on 2 days - one the embarkation day and the other when we were docked in Mexico as our cell plan includes Mexico. 

Yes - it shows in the app what ships are using the new app. Right now looking at my app it says Adventure, Allure, Anthem, Brilliance, Enchantment, Harmony, Independence, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Navigator, Oasis, Ovation, Quantum, Serenade, Spectrum, Symphony, and Vision. 

It looks like the list is at the bottom of this website too....

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/booked/royal-app

15 minutes ago, Pinnacle Dreams said:

Yes - it shows in the app what ships are using the new app. Right now looking at my app it says Adventure, Allure, Anthem, Brilliance, Enchantment, Harmony, Independence, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Navigator, Oasis, Ovation, Quantum, Serenade, Spectrum, Symphony, and Vision. 

It looks like the list is at the bottom of this website too....

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/booked/royal-app

Only a couple of these actually have the chat embedded in the app at this time, though.

15 hours ago, mworkman said:

I don't care for the app chat as it doesn't let you know when you receive a message and found that you have to have the app reopen and running to receive messages.

Someone in my Facebook Live last night mentioned they just updated it so there is a notification

Must admit that when im on vacation my phone is only used as a camera. 

If my wife visits spa etc without me i just tell her a few places i may be and she finds me. 

However the info on here is good for those like my wife who like to keep in contact with those back home or post things on Unsociable Media ( you can tell by that comment i dont have it lol ) 

Is there a timescale for rolling the feature out onto all other ships? 

We use WhatsApp if we have a group of mixed brands: Apple/android. On our Freedom cruise last March we had a group of 4 iPhones and 4 androids so it worked great. 

We live on a farm and I use WhatsApp to keep in contact with my farm sitters too. 

I think it’s a great app. Everything is encrypted. 

If you phone and provider support WIFI calling (Verizon does) you can activate it (before you go on trip).  Anytime you car connected to WIFI, including on the ship, your phone will work as it normally does.  Get on board, enable airplane mode, then turn wifi back on.  This ensures you do not roam on cellular networks.  Once wifi connects, phone works just like normal.  Send and receive texts and phone calls.

Oh, and yes...  You will need to subscribe to the onboard Voom.  Otherwise  you have to wait until you can hop on a free land based wifi.  But, everything will still work like above, even when international.  I read somewhere else that you MUST activate wifi calling on your phone before you go international because you cannot activate out of your home country.  I have not verified this fact.

17 minutes ago, DEANNA McKenna said:

What is the Imessenger app.... is this through RC mobile app....  ??? I downloaded that app... but don't see anywhere to message others.... ???

iMessenger is a feature on iPhones that allow messages to be sent via text (instead of SMS).  If you have an iPhone, it's the blue text messages (as opposed to the green ones).

• 3 months later...
On 10/14/2019 at 4:46 PM, DanielB said:

Fingers crossed that Oasis is added with the chat feature during dry dock. 

Just got off oasis. They didnt add the chat during dry dock (I dont know why) 

Last year allure had it when we were on. Was on rhapsody last month, no go on the app at all on her.