Wash your hands.....

Mike_

I absolutely without question hate when people try to tell me what to do. I am a reasonable person and will follow the law or the contract terms but don't ever try to impose extra terms upon me. I wash my hands before going to eat, I hate the RCI Staff standing at the doorway wanting to treat me like a child and say "Hand Sanitize Sir" as they run towards you and try to impose themselves upon the victims walking in to the restaurant.

Their actions just make me 100% sure not to take anything from them. I have never allowed these door guards to attack me and use their hand sanitizer and never will. If they wrote it into the terms of the contract I would change cruise lines. They really need to look at the way they handle this issue because videos and door guards are not the way to go.  

I absolutely without question hate when people try to tell me what to do. I am a reasonable person and will follow the law or the contract terms but don't ever try to impose extra terms upon me. I wash my hands before going to eat, I hate the RCI Staff standing at the doorway wanting to treat me like a child and say "Hand Sanitize Sir" as they run towards you and try to impose themselves upon the victims walking in to the restaurant.

This stems from guests not washing their hands, either out of ignorance or laziness.  Outbreaks of norovirus are directly tied to guests not taking precautions to prevent the spread of such easily communicable viruses.

This isn't about someone telling you how to vacation, as much as it is mitigating the spread of these nasty bugs.  It's a small price to pay to ensure a healthy cruise.

I don't mind..as I see SO many ppl coming out of the bathroom from having a #2 and they don't even have the decency to wash their hands. I have seen these people walk straight to the buffet....disgusting...

Not to mention parents with kids with runny noses cleaning them on the way to the buffet, or people picking their noses as they are about to go and eat.

I hate people telling me what to do when its common sense or what I think is common sense anyways. But I am defn more aware of these issues when cruising and I am appalled at how dirty and unclean a lot of people tend to be.

So if they have to be made to do the right thing and wash their hands before eating...then I am all for it.

It shouldn't have to be done, but obviously it does.

On a cruise a couple of years ago, I saw someone using food handler gloves at the buffet and I just recently started doing the same. While I always wash my hands before entering the buffet, I would always go and wash my hands again after serving myself because of possible cross contamination from the serving utensils as a result of those not practicing proper hygiene. I know this is extreme and likely unnecessary, but better safe than sorry.

On a cruise a couple of years ago, I saw someone using food handler gloves at the buffet and I just recently started doing the same. While I always wash my hands before entering the buffet, I would always go and wash my hands again after serving myself because of possible cross contamination from the serving utensils as a result of those not practicing proper hygiene. I know this is extreme and likely unnecessary, but better safe than sorry.

I think RCL providing those gloves are a better idea than asking people to use sanitizers. Of course everyone should wash their hands.

I don't have any problem washing my hands or using sanitizer. I wash my hand in the bathroom, I use the hand towel to open doors, I sanitize into a dining area, leaving a dining area, and sometimes when moving into a new location. It does not feel like an inconvenience to me at all, it's about keeping the ship and it's passengers as healthy as possible.

If you think about it, in the buffet everyone is handling the same serving utensils. Wait staff are picking up glasses, cleaning dishes, bringing you drinks. It's general health and welfare. We all get shots and inoculations to ensure a healthier populace, same goes for washing hands.

But the song gets stuck in my head!!!!!!!

I see it as a valuable reminder, and am grateful that there is this constant reminder to those who are less attentive to hygiene. It is reassuring to know that RC is doing what it can. If it seems obtrusive, I hope people acknowledge how many outbreaks are averted by such measures, even though it really can't be measured. 

Haha, that song. ABSOLUTELY gets stuck in my head. "Wash your hands like 50 times-a-day..."

I sanitize my hands EVERYWHERE that I see the dispensers--every single opportunity I get. The people who "dodge" the hand sanitizing people remind me of the anti-vaxxers: "I don't want to vaccinate my child--don't tell me what to do." That's NORMALLY fine, but when your decisions affect the health of those around you, that's when they start to "impose" rules. In this case, the crew can't distinguish who are the disgusting cruisers that leave the restroom without feeling the need to wash their hands, so sanitizing everyone's hands is an easy and non-harmful practice to implement. I'm sorry to those who feel as though agreeing to sanitize their hands upon entry into a restaurant venue threatens the joy of their vacation.

I LOVE the gloves idea! I didn't think about that...But I do sanitize, put my food on my plate, sanitize my hands again, then eat. Hm...gloves.........may have to go buy some!

Everyone is allowed to have their own opinions. And as long as it is not a violation of the the law and or the contract for service you cannot  order another to do something. People view things with different perspectives, where some may find no issues with a rule or policy, others can and do find issues  with  a rule or policies.... 

And for those who think rubber gloves are the answer maybe take a look at this:

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2010/10/glove-use-doesnt-necessarily-mean-safer-food/#.VthcCfl95yM

Everyone is allowed to have their own opinions. And as long as it is not a violation of the the law and or the contract for service you cannot  order another to do something. People view things with different perspectives, where some may find no issues with a rule or policy, others can and do find issues  with  a rule or policies.... 

And for those who think rubber gloves are the answer maybe take a look at this:

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2010/10/glove-use-doesnt-necessarily-mean-safer-food/#.VthcCfl95yM

I've seen people in the hospitality industry taking smoke breaks with their gloves on. Now that makes me feel secure. This is the same mentality of people who fail to wash their hands after the wash room and before eating. I think RC does a good job with it, and some crew may be more militant than others. At any rate, I am still grateful for the measures they take.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) requires cruise ships to report outbreaks of gastrointestinal illnesses that affect 3% or more of the total number of passengers or crew onboard. (not updated for the 2016 outbreaks)

From that information for Cruise Line Outbreaks, 2010-2015

Celebrity Cruises — 15

Princess Cruises — 15

Royal Caribbean — 10

Holland America — 10

Cunard Line — 4

So if you look at the top five Cruise Lines for outbreaks of gastrointestinal illnesses then RCI plan as a company does not work. Because they have the highest number of outbreak cases. Celebrity Cruises is part of RCI and follows the same polices as other ships within the corporation.

Norovirus can live for weeks on surfaces, gloves provide a false sense of security because they only help if used correctly. If gloves are contaminated they will spread this. Many professional chefs will not wear gloves because they know this. Low level staff do because it builds a image of safety and if done correctly can help.

Hand washing with soap and water is still the recommend way to control this. In fact if you look at the CDC information it says alcohol based hand sanitizers are not a replacement for hand washing. So by placing these stations outside the dinning rooms I believe it causes the spread of these illness because people don't wash their hands correctly and rely on the hand sanitizers  being offered.

How is 10 more than 15? I'm trying to figure out how you've determined RCI has had the most outbreaks.

Given how much more strict HAL is, I'm surprised that they have the same number of outbreaks as Royal. For example, HAL doesn't allow guests to serve themselves in the buffets for the first 48 hours of a sailing until they're sure Noro hasn't been brought into the ship by boarding guests.

How is 10 more than 15? I'm trying to figure out how you've determined RCI has had the most outbreaks. 

Given how much more strict HAL is, I'm surprised that they have the same number of outbreaks as Royal. For example, HAL doesn't allow guests to serve themselves in the buffets for the first 48 hours of a sailing until they're sure Noro hasn't been brought into the ship by boarding guests.

Because Celebrity Cruises &  Royal Caribbean  are both part of the same group and should be counted as one. As all the cruise lines under Carnival should be counted as one. If you compare the total number of ships within the company and market size and percent vs the number of outbreaks.Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd controls about 23% percent of the cruise market worldwide the second largest overall cruise line in the World. Carnival group the largest cruise line controls about 49% percent of the cruise market worldwide and is the largest cruise line in the World. 

So if you weight the numbers it makes Royal look even worst. As a group Royal has the worst record in the industry, Royal is failing in the attempts to control this problem. Placing people with hand sanitizers at the dinning areas has not solved or corrected the problem. What is has done is given people a false sense of security and encourages poor sanitation from passengers because many believe they don't need to wash hands they can use the hand sanitizers. 

Princess, Holland, and Cunard are all owned by Carnival Corp., so shouldn't the be combined, as you suggest? Also, I think you need to account for the number of passengers, too, as Royal has the biggest ships on the world.

I do agree with you about the hand sanitizers. They largely do nothing and encourage poor hygiene which is why I take a pair of disposable gloves to the buffet.

Carnival Corporation control 49% of the cruise market by total passengers booked. Royal Group controls 23% of the total passengers booked. So thank you for improving my case here. So Carnival group has double the market and 29 total reported outbreaks in 2015, Royal group has less than half the market of Carnival and 25 outbreaks during the same time.  Royal group as a whole has the worst record for handing this problem.  Royal may have the largest ships but it does not have the numbers of the largest carrier in the World who has a much better record with this issue.

And for the record given a choice all things equal: same trip, ship size, benefits, etc. of cruising with Royal or Carnival I would choose Royal.

Carnival Corporation control 49% of the cruise market by total passengers booked. Royal Group controls 23% of the total passengers booked. So thank you for improving my case here. So Carnival group has double the market and 29 total reported outbreaks in 2015, Royal group has less than half the market of Carnival and 25 outbreaks during the same time.  Royal group as a whole has the worst record for handing this problem.  Royal may have the largest ships but it does not have the numbers of the largest carrier in the World who has a much better record with this issue.

And for the record given a choice all things equal: same trip, ship size, benefits, etc. of cruising with Royal or Carnival I would choose Royal.

What about Carnival Cruise Line's ships?  Don't those need to be included?  Aida?  Costa?  P&O?  Seabourn?

Your premise may be correct; I just don't think you're comparing apples to apples here as you're talking market share but aren't including all of the brands for which Carnival is responsible for.  Of course, Azamara should be included under Royal, too!

I do agree with your general premise, though, that the sanitizers are largely useless and provide a false sense of security and encourage, rather than discourage, proper hygiene.

By the way, some lines will not let you enter the dining room or the buffet without sanitizing your hands.  Disney is one of those lines.  They will physically block you from entering.  And outside of the Windjammer, I honestly can't say that I've experienced any crew member monitoring the hand sanitizer machines nor do I remember it anywhere on Carnival.  And as I've said before, the most conservative line I've sailed in terms of hygiene, HAL, has had an equal number of outbreaks.

DocLC

If you look at the CDC reported cases for 2015  Carnival Cruise,  Aida, Costa, P&O, and  Seabourn did not have reported cases. Yes some people maybe were sick but did not meet the percent set by CDC. But this seems to have turned from comments into a battle about Royal, which is not in any way my intent. 

​This discussion could talk up a whole board and not be complete. Many other factors as to why Royal would be higher, including but not limited to, ship size, locations, etc. we do both agree "...that the sanitizers are largely useless and provide a false sense of security...."

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/gilist.htm

Thanks for the explanation, Todd. I had heard reports of outbreaks on the other lines but had not realized that they hadn't met the threshold and thus weren't reported. By the way, I'd say we were having a discussion rather than a battle. ;). And sadly, there are reports this week of Anthem having a Noro virus outbreak, so you may be the winner of this discussion.

Should we move on to discussing tipping and dress codes? <jk>

And just for the record, HAL and NCL serve s better steak in their steak houses (although Chops is a better experience overall) and Carnival has better burgers--and they're included with the fare, and better comedy clubs, too. And while I like Royal the best, I hope I don't come across as an apologist for the line.

Hand sanitation and cleanliness in general is a product of our global society and will continue to be a huge issue.

As to the strict requirement to use the hand sanitizer, I don't like being forced to do it, but it ain't gonna kill me to take an 

extra measure to not only help insure my safety, but that of the thousands of others on board.  I'm pretty sure that many, 

if not most, of the passengers don't share my degree of personal hygiene.  As I've aged, I've become much more aware

of the daily risks of bacteria and other nasties in our world.

I'd much prefer the lines be pro-active in their battle against sickness and actually appreciate RCCL's diligence.

Okay, poster child here for hand washing/sanitizing (and I don't mind the nagging a bit).

I'm normally manic about handwashing and sanitizing because I have asthma. If I catch a cold, or any respiratory illness, there's a good chance it'll segue into bronchial asthma which makes me much sicker and is not fun.

I just got off Liberty from my 14th cruise this past Sunday. For the first time ever, I think I picked up gastroenteritis, tho I didn't start getting symptoms until Saturday night and it really didn't manifest until Monday. I've been unwell most of the week, starting to get over it just today. Despite my manic handwashing and sanitizing, something still slipped through.

It's kind of interesting over the years how passenger attitudes have changed from when they first started putting the sanitizers all over the ship with people refusing to use them, to now most cheerfully taking a squirt while walking into the Windjammer or main dining room.