Packing Cubes

MicroBeta

7 minutes ago, MicroBeta said:

Can they really save any space or is more about organization...or both?  

For me, both.

I love them. I took an international flight for 9 days and brought a large suitcase because I over pack. I only filled half of the suitcase with clothes - that's huge for me plus on this trip I knew I had a lot of gifts to bring back.  I rolled what could be rolled which helped. I lived out of the suitcase (many different hotels) and was able to use my cubes like dresser drawers. Usually my suitcase is a mess by the time I get home but this time it was fairly neat. I now swear by them. I even consolidated clean clothes and made dirty clothes packing cubes.

16 minutes ago, MicroBeta said:

Does anyone use suitcase packing cubes?  Can they really save any space or is more about organization...or both?  

TIA

Mike

I love them~!  The ones that I use actually hang  - so once you arrive you take it out of the luggage and it hangs in the closet.  Only having to hang those clothes that need to hang for wrinkle release ?  https://www.amazon.com/Stow-N-Go-Portable-Luggage-Suitcase-Organizer/dp/B01N9KMI1Z/ref=sr_1_4?crid=JVPBS5EDFXNJ&keywords=hanging+packing+cubes+for+travel&qid=1571067203&sprefix=hanging+pac%2Caps%2C149&sr=8-4

5 minutes ago, AnnetteJackson said:

I love them~!  The ones that I use actually hang  - so once you arrive you take it out of the luggage and it hangs in the closet.  Only having to hang those clothes that need to hang for wrinkle release ?  https://www.amazon.com/Stow-N-Go-Portable-Luggage-Suitcase-Organizer/dp/B01N9KMI1Z/ref=sr_1_4?crid=JVPBS5EDFXNJ&keywords=hanging+packing+cubes+for+travel&qid=1571067203&sprefix=hanging+pac%2Caps%2C149&sr=8-4

That's interesting.  That would add some efficiency in on board storage too.  I like maximizing storage efficiency. ?

Mike

21 minutes ago, ellcee said:

For me, both.

I love them. I took an international flight for 9 days and brought a large suitcase because I over pack. I only filled half of the suitcase with clothes - that's huge for me plus on this trip I knew I had a lot of gifts to bring back.  I rolled what could be rolled which helped. I lived out of the suitcase (many different hotels) and was able to use my cubes like dresser drawers. Usually my suitcase is a mess by the time I get home but this time it was fairly neat. I now swear by them. I even consolidated clean clothes and made dirty clothes packing cubes.

It also seems that it would be easy to segregate what may still be clean on the trip home.

Mike 

3 minutes ago, MicroBeta said:

It also seems that it would be easy to segregate what may still be clean on the trip home.

Mike 

Yep - i always have the hanging cubes and a laundry bag so I can put the dirty in a bag or two and place in the shelving and keep the clean ones in the zippered pouch.

1 hour ago, MicroBeta said:

Can they really save any space or is more about organization...or both?

There are regular packing cubes and there are also compression ones.  The compression ones can definitely help save space while the regular ones really only do if you are strategic in your packing.  I like the cubes for cruises since I'm in one room for the entire trip.  A land trip where I am in and out of different rooms my packing strategy is a little different in order to maximize space and not having to completely pack and unpack an entire suitcase for each night.

Hi All,

New to this website but a seasoned traveler : )   Wanted to add my two cents about packing cubes.  I love them for all the reasons above and then some.  Modular packing, as I call it, has been invaluable.  When my daughter studied abroad in Australia, she was only allowed 2 bags. We used the compression and regular packing cubes to fit all of her clothing and personal items.  When she arrived in Sydney one  of her suitcases had split open.  Instead of chasing bras, socks, etc.  on the conveyor belt, she and her friends were able to grab her packing cubes and head off on their adventure.  I also like them because if I'm on a longer trip and baggage weight is an issue, I can easily move cubes around suitcases to make sure they stay under 50 lbs.  

Happy to have found this site and look forward to learning more about Royal!

Love packing cubes!  Especially with kids!  Every member of the family gets their own color.  I have one empty for the dirty stuff.  (who wants to try and remember which pair of blue unders is clean or dirty!)  I love having undergarments in one, swim stuff in another, shoes in one, dress clothes in another, etc.  I also love the ones that have the mesh (breathable) outside, that way if we put in some slightly damp swim suits or cover ups, they don't get musty or gross!  Each of the kids got a drawer on the last cruise and it was great to just plunk the cube in the drawer!  Lots less time looking for missing socks, etc. when packing to leave too!  

I use packing cubes and I LOVE them.  Why?

1.  Allows me to "pre pack"  Pack a cube at a time and check it off of the list.  DONE!  

2.  Compression.  Compression cubes can allow you to pack more in a smaller bag (really awesome if you're going carryon only)  Even non compression cubes can give you a degree of compression to cram more stuff in.

3. My set of cubes fits perfectly in my luggage.  One set of cubes per side on my big luggage.  I can color code my cubes (I've collected several sets of cubes over the years because they're all just so CUTE!) so I know what I'm unpacking.  Why would I want to know what I'm unpacking?  Completionism maybe?  But more to say "ok this cube is makeup, this cube is hub's unmentionables, this cube is tshirts, etc etc"  

4.  To follow on 3.  Keeps stuff in its place!  So I'm not needing to dig around in the various pockets and crevases of my luggage for that eye pencil or mini perfume.  Its in the cube!  

To answer your question.  Does it save space?  Compression cubes do.  Regular cubes "can" but I wouldnt bank on it.  But for me and my pre-packing game, I cant live without my cubes.  

I love the ones from Ebags.  I've gotten really good results from them.   If you watch for their sales, you can get a set of 4 (which fit well in a large suitcase... about 25-28") regular ones for 20 dollars, and compression for about 30-35.  

Also keep an eye on cubes from Ebags on Amazon.  I have a set that have handles on them (to act as carryons themselves just in case you have a lot of souvenirs.  

But I have had just wonderful results from Ebags in general.  I STILL have my carryon I got from them of their house brand that's lasted for almost 15 years now as a softsider.  No rips, tears, broken zipper.  Nothing.

I used them for the first time 2 weeks ago and totally loved having each days outfits in a cube. Went on a 4 day weekend last week and I tried putting like things together as an alternative way of using them. Loved that too!! 

I am looking forward to using them next month as we have a few days pre-cruise that I want to keep those clothes separate.