Alaska (south/northbound) or Canada/New England

Which has the greater WOW factor and shore excursions, Alaska or Canada/New England? Absolutely loved everything about our Alaska Southbound, and have booked (and subsequently cancelled) a Canada/New England cruise. Reconsidering. What thoughts might have you all? We ARE headed back to Alaska in 2021.

If you've already done Alaska and have another booked, I'd do the CA/NE sailing. But... I'd suggest trying for a mid-October sailing that will let you see all the fantastic fall colors that we get here in the northeastern US.

If you can get one of the open-jaw leaf peeping cruises that goes northbound from NJ to Quebec, that probably would work out to be the best timing on that front. There is also a southbound open-jaw from Quebec to NJ, but that typically comes before the northbound open-jaw and that's usually a week or two too early to see the trees at their peak. The Snowbird Migration repositioning cruise that ends that part of cruising season here is usually a week or two too late for peak color, at least all the way up north where it starts.

As of today (Oct 14) the trees here in NJ are just starting to really change colors, more noticeable on the mountains around where I live than at my home's altitude; there's probably about a week to go before we hit peak here and in NY, while further north is probably in peak color right now. It was the same last year and the year before that, as I recall.

Alaska Alaska Alaska all the way.

Don't get me wrong..I really enjoyed my Canada/New England sailing as well but it definitely does NOT have the WOW factor of Alaska. 

I would highly recommend trying to integrate the land tour with your next Alaska sailing.  I know it's a big time/$$ commitment but the land tour and the interior part of Alaska was just as amazing as the cruise, but also a completely different experience.

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

If you've already done Alaska and have another booked, I'd do the CA/NE sailing. But... I'd suggest trying for a mid-October sailing that will let you see all the fantastic fall colors that we get here in the northeastern US.

14 minutes ago, Matt said:

I've done Alaska and doing Canada/NE next year, but I would be shocked if Canada/NE out WOW'ed Alaska. Granted, I grew up in Connecticut, so I may be biased.

I grew up and have moved back to the Ozarks, after living in Kansas (pasture and Flint Hills, which I liked) and Atlanta, GA (beautiful). We live in the mountainous area of the northern Ozarks, so our fall colors are BEAUTIFUL, so wouldn't schedule a cruise for the trees. Was thinking more about the port of call.

1 minute ago, AshleyDillo said:

Alaska Alaska Alaska all the way.

Don't get me wrong..I really enjoyed my Canada/New England sailing as well but it definitely does NOT have the WOW factor of Alaska. 

I would highly recommend trying to integrate the land tour with your next Alaska sailing.  I know it's a big time/$$ commitment but the land tour and the interior part of Alaska was just as amazing as the cruise, but also a completely different experience.

This is what I was thinking. I don't enjoy motor coach tours. I feel like one in a herd. BUT!! I make up our own land tours and rent a car, float plane, train, etc. So, I do like this idea. And, the time commitment is well worth it, both in planning (fun!!) and the doing (double fun!!).

Just now, Baked Alaska said:

This is what I was thinking. I don't enjoy motor coach tours. I feel like one in a herd. BUT!! I make up our own land tours and rent a car, float plane, train, etc. So, I do like this idea. And, the time commitment is well worth it, both in planning (fun!!) and the doing (double fun!!).

The one with did with Royal wasn't too bad, but it was a combo motorcoach/train tour..but most of it was done on the double-decker dome train.  But for it being our first time it really helped because we didn't have to worry about all the logistics of where we were staying each night.  Each stop had excursions we could do just like on the cruise.  Now that I've done it once I know exactly what I would pinpoint again to do on my own if I ever get a chance to go back.

4 minutes ago, Baked Alaska said:

We live in the mountainous area of the northern Ozarks, so our fall colors are BEAUTIFUL, so wouldn't schedule a cruise for the trees. Was thinking more about the port of call.

The ports definitely don't have the WOW factor of Alaska.  But they are VERY easy ports to self-navigate and make plans for.  The cruise ship was just a convenient way to travel between those ports.

My very first cruise was Canada / NE.  My husband and I went as young 20-somethings for our honeymoon and absolutely loved it.  The cruise that started our annual cruise addiction was our cruise to Alaska.  Canada / NE is beautiful and is worth visiting, but as far as the "Wow" factor, Alaska certainly wins by a long shot.  If you've never gone to Canada / NE, I'd say it's worth visiting.  Every cruise and destination has its highs and lows.  I love to see new places and try to book cruises that allow me to go somewhere new.  That said, I 100% plan to go back to both Canada / NE and Alaska in the future.

We have done Alaska twice (one was a cruise/tour) and we have done NE/Canada once.  If you love outdoor adventure you cannot beat Alaska but if you love history you NE/Canada outdoes Alaska.   So both are great depending on what you are looking for.  Also, take into consideration that next year will be the 400 year anniversary for the landing of the Mayflower.  If you sail from Boston or have Boston as a port there will be all sorts of extra things going on because of this major historical event.