SCORE!!

KathyC

So back in fall 2018 we booked a sailing on Celebrity Summit.  There was great price on a Summit repo with a $25 refundable deposit so we grabbed it.  About a month later an amazing resident rate appeared, dropping our cruise fare to a ridiculously low price.  So we re-priced the sailing, and within days placed a couple deposits on RCCL cruises for 2019, excited for our good fortune with the price for Summit. A few days later, an amazing sale price was listed for the premium drink package - $34.50 a day.  With the deposits for the RCCL cruises hitting the credit cards hard we decided even at that price we just couldn't justify another charge to the credit cards - after all, we were sailing as Elite, so free drinks most evenings, plus the other events, and the two bottles of wine we could bring on board, and two days we'd be in port...so we talked ourselves that we were being smart and we'd be fine.  After all, we weren't sailing with a group so we wouldn't be over indulging. A few drinks a la carte - no big deal.

As time went on, we started regretting our decision - $34.50 a day.  $34.50!  Even with gratuity, it's still less than three drinks a day.  What were we, nuts??  Months went by, and we were still regretting it as Celebrity doesn't really put drink packages on sale, there is no dynamic pricing, and $34.50 a day!  

So today we got an email from Celebrity for a special one day only you have to call to get the offer of...a BOGO any drink package.  So we got our $34.50 a day package!!!!  The 20% gratuity they add is a bit overboard IMHO, but we'd never get that low a price on a drink package on a RCCL sailing.  Except when they make website goofs.  LOL  

Score!! 

1 hour ago, monctonguy said:

Celebrity always seems to have better pricing and offers and deals than Royal..hands down!

Not with my Iceland & Greenland sailing. Pricing continues to be utterly insane, and no state resident rates showing for me. ?

Current pricing I see for this 14-night sailing:

• $2,919 per person for an Inside cabin ($208.50 per night) -- that's up almost $1,000 per person from when I first booked!
  • $3,869 per person for an Ocean View ($276.35 per night)
  • $5,269 per person for a Verandah ($376.35 per night)
  • Suites (ha! ha ha! yeah, right!) are currently starting at over $18,000 per person. That's for a Suite Class Guarantee, so I guess that means it's likely to be a higher-end suite at this point, but still...

Holding out hope the prices will make a steep drop closer to sail date, but right now I'm just glad I booked as comparatively early as I did. (although I'd have much preferred to catch it when it first came in November or December)

I don't think Royal does Iceland and Greenland sailings?..so hard to compare who's cheaper or better offers?!

As for cruises I am currently looking at or receiving offers from,  Celebrity wins 90% of the time for cheaper rates...never mind the extra perks....blows my mind how such a difference when part of the same company.

That being said...fingers crossed to book 2 cruises for 2020 while on Harmony next mth!