JLMoran

Second Anthem - NJ to Bermuda - Oct 19 to Oct 24 - LIVE(ISH)

On 10/12/2019 at 6:33 PM, heffy2 said:

Can't wait to follow along! I'm boarding Anthem the day you disembark for the last Canada/NE sailing of the season. I hope you have a fantastic cruise!

Ditto - even though I am a bit late...

Challenging day in Bermuda so far today, thanks to the “busted wheel” I’m dealing with. Have some pics on the good cam, taking more in a little while when we do our sunset catamaran sailing.

May not have a chance to edit the pics tonight, but worse comes to worst I’ve got the last sea day to take care of things like that.

Oh, and I’m starting to enjoy The Caledonian Gambit. Been a long time since I read for fun.

Got some very nice sunset pics using the Sony camera. Sorry to be a tease, but trust me when I say that they came out better than anything I got on the phone.

And those of you who like clouds (@DDaley, was it?)... you’ll probably be quite happy. 😉

30 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Got some very nice sunset pics using the Sony camera. Sorry to be a tease, but trust me when I say that they came out better than anything I got on the phone.

And those of you who like clouds (@DDaley, was it?)... you’ll probably be quite happy. 😉

It wasss me! 

I have literally hundreds of sunsets in my phone because I can never resist snapping them. 😍

IMG_0781 copy.jpg

Good morning, all! Off to Horseshoe Bay this morning, in spite of some really heavy overcast that’s hanging around. Hoping to get some more pics this morning before we head back to the ship around lunch time.

After that I’ll be staying on the ship while Cathy goes to the Clocktower Mall for some shopping. And I’ll be doing photo triage and some initial editing, as I successfully pulled all of yesterday’s photos (well over 100) into the iPad!

And this is why you go on Day 2 in Bermuda. It’s 10:22 AM and the beach is practically empty! Woo hoo!

E2A1441A-F310-4415-AA57-F6433F02C6CA.thumb.jpeg.de0e0e3e7015e2427541ee70b7236591.jpeg

Waves are gentle, maybe 3 feet tall when the break. I can’t go in, unfortunately, but Cathy is going to take full advantage!

20 minutes later and the beach to my right became a solid line of umbrellas, but still only a few people to my left. Ship excursion was due around a half hour later, and now it’s umbrellas all the way on my right, still only a smattering on my left, and almost no one sitting on towels in front of us.

Very glad that we asked for almost all the way to the “cutoff line” and all the way forward that umbrellas could go. No chance of losing our great sight line.

Just hit noontime. Current view to my right (towards the beach entrance / exit)...

9361BAFF-2F25-4067-86F9-BA1D6551475B.thumb.jpeg.e49725178f48e17381b3df4137a1c86f.jpeg

...and to my left.

220044FE-4427-4C9D-BED2-0F21AD8E0303.thumb.jpeg.786708e915ff5d28c8fc8c7de4037e43.jpeg

Seriously, folks. Get here as early as you can, on day 2 (or 3 if you’re lucky enough to get 2 overnights), and ask to walk as far down the beach and as close to the water as they’ll take you. And tip the guy 5 bucks for his trouble.

On 10/20/2019 at 8:35 AM, WannaCruise said:

Great first day.  Wonderful you ended up with great table mates (minus one) as that can make or break your evening dinners. 

That is so true. Royal once matched us up with two other Russian couples (who were friends/family) who spoke English fine, but spoke Russian to each other. They did apologize but it was easier for them to communicate in Russian. They also would translate some of the jokes for us which was nice. While we weren't offended by any means, it was just uncomfortable, and we ended up seeking other dining venues on most of the 9 nights. We never went back to traditional dinning again, we are 100% team mytime. Sad because we met friends at traditional dining and we are very close still to this day.  

Looks like you're having a great time @JLMoran, I am just catching up on all of this now! Really glad to see Royal's reaction when you weren't even complaining, just making them aware. They usually do a solid job of making it right, and that's what matters to me as a customer. Looking forward to the rest of your messages, maybe I'll even watch you sail away on the port cam!

Back on the ship and have sailed out of Bermuda. Blog is going to get a little out of order now, as I continue giving little mini-updates in live manner while working on the photos taken with the good camera.

Off to see the sunset, then dinner at Jamie’s Italian.

Jamie’s was good, more so for the fact we didn’t pay for anything beyond gratuity. Service was great, as I’d expect for a specialty venue. But there were definitely some misses among the hits when it came to the food.

We started with three appetizers: the Burrata, the truffle arancini, and the “ultimate” garlic bread.

BF552AD6-4D44-4307-BB59-E661FD7EB88B.thumb.jpeg.29d86894a5597acc8218f6cbe163dda7.jpeg

The arancini were fantastic, the burrata was very good, and the garlic bread... I’m sorry, but I am Italian (ok, if I’m going to be 100% accurate, I’m Sicilian); no self-respecting Italian would even think of making anything called garlic bread with “buttermilk biscuits”!! This is why I was worried when I knew it was a Brit whose name is associated with this venue.

giphy.gif

Mains were a large helping of Truffle Tagliatelle for me, while Cathy had the Calabrian Chicken entree and a small portion of the Tagliatelle Bolognese. No photos, forgot to take one before we dug in. 😞 See, I knew how good the truffle Tagliatelle was, and just had to start in as soon as it arrived!

Just as amazing as when I had it at Chef’s Table last year. Cathy agreed it was really good. She also likes her bolognese, and said the chicken was good, too.

And now, dessert.

77D50EDF-040D-4F9A-8748-AC9B4C79095F.thumb.jpeg.623845bdc2370dcbc7afc430109713b0.jpeg

I had the Pavlova, with a small portion of tiramisu on the side there.

34CE2C59-17CB-41D3-9DC5-158361FE285F.thumb.jpeg.b06a2cf77d291be951a51c1b159dd889.jpeg

Cathy had the Epic Brownie.

Brownie got two thumbs up, but I found the Pavlova to be far too sweet for a dessert as large as it is. It’s a baked meringue, with raspberry, mint leaves, and crushed honeycomb. The meringue part is 100% a match for my Nonna’s forgotten kisses recipe, minus the chocolate chips she added. Those were really sweet as bite-size items; this dessert was at least 10 times as large, and I just couldn’t finish it.

The tiramisu wasn’t bad as such, but wasn’t great either. I still haven’t found one to match my mom’s, or my “great-aunt-in-law” Pam’s.

Our server, Foued, was fantastic; very attentive and helpful. Made sure to leave him a good tip based on what the meal would have cost if I’d bought it myself, as I’m assuming the wait staff gets no gratuity for complementary meals like mine.

Had the La Volte with this meal, was outstanding as always.

24 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

image.thumb.jpg.337e361a8e9b336a19fba992cf6fabd9.jpg

...and main course, tonkotsu ramen.

😋

I have tried some strange foods over the years in various countries including Dangitt ( photo of the fish) in the Philippines, but your pic i had to google to find out what it was and to be honest i don't think it's for me !! lol 

IMG_2008.JPG