Rhapsody of the sea

Louise

Hi, I'm looking at booking 9 nights  next August with 2 nights in Venice 7 nights on rhapsody around the Greek Islands. Can anyone help as I'm wondering if there will be enough for my 15 year old son to do to keep him entertained.  I cannot see that it has a basketball/ football court on like other ships I have been on. The only thing I can see is table tennis and rock climbing wall. Has anyone else experienced the ship with a teenager. Thanks louise

Welcome to the message boards.

Greek cruises differ significantly from Caribbean cruises in that they tend to be port intensive and there isn't a lot of idle time to fill.  Some of these itineraries have a single sea day.  

If you have a high energy child who needs stimulation during all waking hours then Explorer has some Greek itineraries next year and she is being AMPED in the Spring of 2020 so it will have more to do for teens who need stimulation.

I did think there may not be much time inbetween getting off the ship sightseeing and then coming back on. Bit of chill time before shower and getting ready for dinner and the show.  He's not a real high energy child but as he's getting older he doesn't want a beach holiday saying they are boring but doesn't offer much in a solution to what he does want! We went to Rome earlier this year and he was great there so thinking sightseeing and some sun would be good. 

A Greek isles cruise is less about the ship and more about the places you will visit.

Rhapsody isn't necessarily the best ship in the fleet for a teen, but I'm sure he will find something to occupy his time. I think most people would tell you the bulk of your day is going to be spent on shore excursions exploring the Greek islands, and not hanging out on the ship.

A strategy I used when my kids were younger was to bring them into the decision making process. 

"We're looking at this cruise but it's on an older ship.  We can find someone for you to stay with or you can come with us, what are your thoughts?"    

My kids accepted it and said they wanted to come.  Since they made the decision I wasn't under pressure to keep them occupied.  They wanted to go so they internally dealt with it.  

On 10/10/2019 at 2:50 PM, Louise said:

Hi, I'm looking at booking 9 nights  next August with 2 nights in Venice 7 nights on rhapsody around the Greek Islands. Can anyone help as I'm wondering if there will be enough for my 15 year old son to do to keep him entertained.  I cannot see that it has a basketball/ football court on like other ships I have been on. The only thing I can see is table tennis and rock climbing wall. Has anyone else experienced the ship with a teenager. Thanks louise

Our son at that age was on the sister ship, Grandeur, and he was really thrilled by the teen group.   The teens would find stuff to do throughout the ship.  Our rule was to meet for dinner and obey the curfew.  Also, you can check out the deck plans for the Rhapsody.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/rhapsody-of-the-seas/deck-plans/1896/BD

There is a rock climbing wall as you've already noted.

You'll have a great trip, I'm sure, and has been mentioned, if you spend a lot of time on port excursions you'll just want to chill on the ship when you return.

We sailed on Rhapsody when my daughter was 11. It was a Caribbean itinerary so we had a few sea days between ports. There isn't much to do for kids outside of the rock climbing wall and pool. If I am remembering correctly, there may have also been mini golf. She did spend a hefty amount in the arcade on games but she was never bored. We enjoyed the smaller ship because it wasn't as crowded as the larger ships tend to get. The entertainment was also fantastic.