RCI Luggage Tags

xnavyss

Hi there Joe. Fellow Joe here. ?

First, thanks for your service!

Regarding the luggage tags, I've only ever put one on each bag. I use a plastic holder with steel cable that I bought on Amazon. I only put the tag on after my flight, basically on embarkation day before heading to the port, to minimize the risk of any damage outside of what the porters might do to it. Haven't had them fall off / get ripped off, and the holders are going on their third cruise so far with no visible wear and tear.

48 minutes ago, xnavyss said:

Curiosity Question

How many Royal Luggage Tags do you put on each piece of luggage ?

I have been putting two on each bag ( one on the top and one on the side ) as a precaution in case one of them fall off.

Joe

( Proud Military Veteran and retired Navy Submarine Sailor )

I go with one as well with the same holder style that @JLMoran uses. The steel cable won’t fall off unless someone actively unscrews the connector. 

Navy vet?  I'll try not to hold that against you! :6_smile: (Army vet here.)

The plastic sleeve tag holders with the steel cable everyone is mentioning are great. Durable, re-useable, and easy to attach without the need for staples or tape.

1 hour ago, xnavyss said:

Curiosity Question

I have been putting two on each bag ( one on the top and one on the side ) as a precaution in case one of them fall off.

Joe

Concur with everyone . Well shipmate looks like your a skimmer now

3 hours ago, xnavyss said:

Curiosity Question

Joe

We do two as you describe, but only if we have extras.  The reason is that we've had problems with at least one bag being "lost" on Day 1 on multiple trips.  The 2nd tag doesn't guarantee anything, but it makes me feel better....(We usually get the missing bag after dinner.)

6 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Regarding the luggage tags, I've only ever put one on each bag. I use a plastic holder with steel cable that I bought on Amazon. I only put the tag on after my flight, basically on embarkation day before heading to the port, to minimize the risk of any damage outside of what the porters might do to it. Haven't had them fall off / get ripped off, and the holders are going on their third cruise so far with no visible wear and tear.

I do the same but use two.

12 hours ago, JLMoran said:

We have the plastic holder with steel cable too and I LOVE them!!! If we drive to port, I put them on before leaving the home. If we fly to port, I put them on after our flight but before check in (We usually fly in the day before embarkation, so I usually put the tags on in the hotel room the night before embarkation).

Am I the only one who just puts a piece of clear packing tape over the luggage tag and tapes it?  LOL  We do one, and attach it before we leave for the port.  I put the clear tape on at home, and if we're flying that means we're staying at a hotel over night.  When we check out I ask to use their stapler, and attach the tags.  In 26 years, never had one fall off.  LOL 

15 hours ago, KathyC said:

Am I the only one who just puts a piece of clear packing tape over the luggage tag and tapes it?  LOL  We do one, and attach it before we leave for the port.  I put the clear tape on at home, and if we're flying that means we're staying at a hotel over night.  When we check out I ask to use their stapler, and attach the tags.  In 26 years, never had one fall off.  LOL 

Not yet.?

You can use those tag holders for the debarkation tags too. On one of our more recent trips my tag came off and there were a few anxious moments in the terminal at Port Everglades because my bag was not where it should have been. A steward sent me over to a separate area where the unidentified bags had been put and it was there. I had left a second tag on the desk in the cabin. Lesson learned. Tag holder or two tags is the way to go.

1 hour ago, FionaMG said:

You can use those tag holders for the debarkation tags too. On one of our more recent trips my tag came off and there were a few anxious moments in the terminal at Port Everglades because my bag was not where it should have been. A steward sent me over to a separate area where the unidentified bags had been put and it was there. I had left a second tag on the desk in the cabin. Lesson learned. Tag holder or two tags is the way to go.

Good point.

That''s why I always double tag my bags, going on or off.

On 10/10/2019 at 9:02 AM, xnavyss said:

Curiosity Question

Joe

I've been looking at more secure tag holders.  We use generic plastic holders we got on Amazon but now there are quite a few stronger options.

BTW, Nice to see another SS vet. ?

Mike

I will also give a thumbs up to the tag holders with the threaded steel cable.  I have a habit of stuffing an extra luggage tag inside the suitcase just in case.   Also the same with my boarding pass when we fly, print an extra copy to put in the suitcase.

4 hours ago, MicroBeta said:

I've been looking at more secure tag holders.  We use generic plastic holders we got on Amazon but now there are quite a few stronger options.

BTW, Nice to see another SS vet. ?

Mike

MicroBeta

I served on the USS Jack (SSN605), USS Gato (SSN 615) and USS Nathan Hale (SSBN623) (Blue)

On 10/10/2019 at 8:02 AM, xnavyss said:

Curiosity Question

Joe

Hey Joe....I've used only one per bag using the wire loop ties, no problems yet. Using two certainly wouldn't be a problem though.

Thanks for your service and all others that responded! I wasn't on a sub but was a Plankowner on USS Biddle (DLG-34), later became CG-34. Two extended cruises to Tonkin Gulf, the first was an around-the-world cruise. Anchors aweigh!!