O5 named Wonder Of The Seas - sailing from Asia

Clearly they are looking to maximise revenue.  The smart move royal are making is that they are putting customised ships that meet the needs of audience (well in China anyway). 

If you read the blurb they have on Culturally Enriching Cruises.... it sort of pushes what they are going for: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-are-culturally-enriching-cruises-from-mainland-china?country=USA

Every cruise market is different too.  It just depends on how different.

In Australia, we rarely tip.  We just pay the total.  As a result (and also due to Australian consumer law) on cruises booked from Australia (ie: on the Royal Caribbean website) our daily gratuities are included in the base price.  Or... when I go to the local store and buy things.... I only pay the price on the ticket because sales tax must be included in the sticker price.

Anyway... the point is, the chinese market is so clearly different that the best course of action for Royal Caribbean to maximise the revenue they get from Chinese sailings is to have ships designed to meet the needs of the market. Shoehorning an American focused ship on to chinese consumers is never going to cut it.

That said... one chinese custom that would be VERY welcome on ships I am sailing on would be Yum Cha served at least a few times a cruise.  Would be excellent for hangovers. ?

Finally...  apologies if this post was a rambling mess.  I am still waking up!

13 hours ago, twangster said:

There rumblings of a 4,000 passenger ship coming to California.  Splitting Quantum between Australia and California, Ovation between Australia and Alaska.  Hmmm.  Interesting times coming this fall as more 2021 itineraries are announced.  

Yes, it's already showing up on some port schedules around the Aus/NZ region for 2022.

15 hours ago, Skatepunk said:

Personally cannot wait to see what itineraries it has, need to explore this part of the world more. 

Couldnt agree more ? 

Travelled to a number of Asain counties but still a lot i want to visit, a cruise departing China taking in a places like HK, Japan,  Thailand,  Vietnam,  Philippines etc would be great 

• 2 months later...