Belize Cave Tubing

MotleyCruiser

With the annual Monster of Rock Cruise (and my 8th) coming up on Independence of the Sea in Feb 2020, I was considering an excursion and the Cave Tubing in Belize looks unique. Has anyone done this excursion previously? How much walking should we expect? How long is the actual tubing part of the excursion. Is there any chance to grab liquor before we board the bus?   Any other bits of info is helpful. Thx

The one we did was the jaguar cave tubing and jungle trek.  I believe it was supposed to be about 1/2 thru the jungle, you have to carry your own tube.  The path is mostly hard pack sand/gravel and the trek was relatively flat.  Hardest part was you will have to cross a creek/river water is 2-2 1/2 feet deep and walk down then up a flight of wooden steps.  The steps had the potential of being slippery and I think it was a bit rocky after the steps going up.  The float down the river is slow and easy.  The walk out was short.  Depending on when you get there they may feed you before or after, we ate before. Chicken, rice plate.  They have a DJ playing music and you can purchase drinks there; they also have a souvenir place.  We are middle 60"s and pretty active and didn't have any problems with it.

We did it with a private vendor when on a carnival ship about 5 years ago.  I recall having to walk a good little bit (not a major walk, but not a mere 100 yards either).  What I remember most was the crappy water shoes they provided.  I did not have any and they provided the wet suit style water shoes.  My feet do not do well on rocky paths with small and medium sized stones as the path had.  I found the walk to be rather painful for my feet.  Take your own waterproof (or you don't care they get wet) shoes with good padding, and you should be fine.

3 hours ago, MotleyCruiser said:

With the annual Monster of Rock Cruise (and my 8th) coming up on Independence of the Sea in Feb 2020, I was considering an excursion and the Cave Tubing in Belize looks unique. Has anyone done this excursion previously? How much walking should we expect? How long is the actual tubing part of the excursion. Is there any chance to grab liquor before we board the bus?   Any other bits of info is helpful. Thx

We did this excursion in 2017.  It was not as exciting as the Amazing Secret River at Playa del Carmen (a Cozumel excursion that requires the ferry to the mainland), but it was more interesting than our recent raft trip in Lake Bacalar (Costa Maya excursion).  The physical effort is moderate, as discussed by@DandA .    If you want a knock-your-socks-off experience, this isn't it, but it is somewhat interesting.  The bus ride to the jungle was a bit long, about 45-60 minutes.

We did the Dark Night Cave Trek and tubing.  Here is our video of some of the excursion.  It was not difficult at all and was interesting.  The video is mostly of the trek to tubing and the tubing. There was a piece that walked through a cave (others were zip lining through it) and was fun too.  Overall it was a decent excursion.  I don't remember there being crazy amounts of walking. Very manageable.  The tubing was maybe 30 mins at most.  Let me know if you have more questions.