Room Upgrade

KathyDS

Hello!  This will be our first time on Royal Caribbean and we are so excited!  We will be on Adventure of the Seas in 11 days!  Here's my question...we originally had an inside cabin and then decided to upgrade to a guaranteed balcony room.  That room is 1238 on deck 10 (I believe it's a connecting room and I've heard those rooms are not ideal because you can hear everything on the other side).  We now have an opportunity to RoyalUp to a junior suite.  Would  you do this or just be happy with the room we have?  Thank you so much for any insight you can give me!

Kathy

2 minutes ago, KathyDS said:

Thank you for your response!  It says in the email "from $100/pp".  I'm a little nervous about getting a room with an obstructed view.  But I'm guess it wouldn't be totally obstructed, right?

Keep in mind that getting an email from Plusgrade who runs the royalup program doesn’t mean that their are actually any junior suites available. You might take a look and see what is actually there and it might make sense to upgrade the old way and pay the difference. 

6 minutes ago, Andrew72681 said:

Keep in mind that getting an email from Plusgrade who runs the royalup program doesn’t mean that their are actually any junior suites available. You might take a look and see what is actually there and it might make sense to upgrade the old way and pay the difference. 

Thank you!  I just got on RC's website and it's showing the only rooms available are the inside rooms.  Darn!  I guess no suite for us! ?  Thank you for the advice!

19 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

What's the cost difference for the Royal Up?  With a JS on Adventure, you get double points and a larger bathroom (with tub) and closet.  I would bid if the cost was below $500 total.  Anything more, probably not for a JS.

I thought you don't get double points for suites if RoyalUp was used to get to the suite category? Maybe I misread another thread

10 minutes ago, KathyDS said:

Thank you!  I just got on RC's website and it's showing the only rooms available are the inside rooms.  Darn!  I guess no suite for us! ?  Thank you for the advice!

You can always put in a bid in case a last minute cancellation happens, but so many people put so much strife into whether or not to put in a Bid when the chances are slim to none. 

I recently got a RoyalUp email for a Dec sailing that included a 1b aqua theater. On RCCL's website directly there are none available, however when I went to Expedia for the same sailing Expedia does have one available. I called Expedia, for fun, and they did have it available for direct purchase with them. I'm wondering if when another site like Expedia purchases rooms/blocks they hold them and alert the RoyalUp program to what hasn't sold and that is one of the ways they get room types out. 

Just now, Levi said:

I recently got a RoyalUp email for a Dec sailing that included a 1b aqua theater. On RCCL's website directly there are none available, however when I went to Expedia for the same sailing Expedia does have one available. I called Expedia, for fun, and they did have it available for direct purchase with them. I'm wondering if when another site like Expedia purchases rooms/blocks they hold them and alert the RoyalUp program to what hasn't sold and that is one of the ways they get room types out. 

RoyalUp offers can show up with absolutely no correlation to inventory.  It's a way for them to gather offers in case of a cancellation.  Of course if there's availability you would have a better chance if there was a room available..but there's no guarantee of that.  

Correct.  I think royalup has worked very well to fix sorting demand for stateroom by category. 

Royal often has more "guaranteed balcony" staterooms fares sold than actual balcony staterooms available (or pick another category, I'm just using this for an illustration).  Thus, the royalup emails get sent out a few weeks before your sailing and then depending on bids and status they reward the folks who were in balconies the chance to bid up the most to get into the junior suites, which are kind of an in between category that on many ships doesn't offer the whole high end experience.  (You can also see that they've added a lot of these in the corners for front of the ships in each Amplified dry dock)

Also lets high status customers or people already in the junior suites slide up to any unsold high end suites, etc etc.  Just a good all around tool for Royal to sort everyone into a cabin they are happy with.  Maybe they don't get the initial big up charge they wanted for some suites or other categories in the first place, but they do get a lot of valuable data on pricing demand, category breakdown, and customer trends moving forward.  Hence, you almost never see last minute deals on suites or ocean view, they simply royal up and get more money from existing customers booked on that cruise, then blow out the cheap inside rooms in the bottom of the ship.  It's obviously working very well for them.

Anymore it's all about that big data and we are just the guinea pigs haha