Return flight

We just got off the Allure of the Seas in Ft Lauderdale last month. They began express self walk off at 7am. That means carrying your own luggage off the boat with you. We did this and were able to make it to our 9:45am flight - but we were told by multiple different Royal Caribbean staff members prior to our cruise that our flight was too early. We had family members traveling with us and they drove us to the airport after - but the cruise port transportation to the airport wasn't even available as an option to us until 9am. 

24 minutes ago, Carrie0822 said:

If my ship returns to port Miami at 6am...how early can I safely book my return flight home? 

“Returning” at 6am doesn’t mean that’s when you can get off. The ship has to be cleared, which seems to lead to the first self-disembark around 7:30. In terminal A, that meant we were in an Uber by 7:50 and on our way. 

Weekends = less traffic in Miami so that'll help if you disembark on Sat or Sun, especially if you have to drive to FLL.  Also remember, RCI has no control over when port authority clears the ship.  It can take longer for strange reasons sometimes.

Last April, we docked in Miami around 6am, did self disembark and Lyft to FLL for an 11:30 am flight.  I think we arrived around 9am, but we also have TSA Precheck so we weren't too worried about security lines. Only problem we had is our flight got cancelled which I didn't know about until we got to the airport.  Totally should have checked my flight status before high tailing it off the ship that morning. ?

If you carry your own luggage off the ship around 7:30am, take taxi or uber to MIA, I would say 10am or later is fine.

We plan to chill and enjoy one last breakfast before leaving the ship, plus giving it some buffer time in case of unexpected situation (e.g. find our luggage), we booked 2pm flight out of MIA.

It's our first cruise. I hope it'll go smoothly.

I've made as early as flights at 9:30am out of both MIA and FLL from POM.  The FLL flight we arrived at the airport at 8 am and had plenty of time for a sit down breakfast.   We just do self disembarkation and if you have US passports then getting through customs is a breeze.  Also, we have TSA precheck.  Clearly this is a risk as there could be a customs/fog/whatever delay but it's a risk we are willing to take.  Typically, you'll be allowed off the ship about an hour after the arrival time so in your case about 7 am.  I figure that even if it takes me an hour to get off the ship, I still have 30 minutes to get to the airport and I'll still be an hour before my flight.

It's easy for people who have many choices or not in a time crunch to wait for a direct flight home to say after 11 am.  However, when you only have limited direct flights, we'd rather take the risk considering they are either at 9:30 am or 4 pm.  I'd rather not sit around the airport for hours before you can even check bags (4 hours before the flight),  so I'll take my chance with the 9:30 am.