What are the seating arrangements?

lanlubber

My family of 3 is new to RC.  We've cruised Disney a bunch of times and I finally convinced my wife to save some money and give RC a try.  On Disney most of the cruises we've been on we have been seated with another family since we're only 3.  Most of the time it's worked out fine since they try and seat you with a similar family as far as kids / ages.  Does RC do that or is it luck of the draw who they seat you with?  We have My Time dining on Anthem if that matters...  Thanks!

8 minutes ago, lanlubber said:

My family of 3 is new to RC.  We've cruised Disney a bunch of times and I finally convinced my wife to save some money and give RC a try.  On Disney most of the cruises we've been on we have been seated with another family since we're only 3.  Most of the time it's worked out fine since they try and seat you with a similar family as far as kids / ages.  Does RC do that or is it luck of the draw who they seat you with?  We have My Time dining on Anthem if that matters...  Thanks!

My Time Dining is like dining at a typical restaurant on land.  You can make a reservation ahead of time or you can just walk up and get seated as seating is available.  Most of My Time Dining is set up for individual families.  However if you want to be seated with others you can always ask.

If you do early or late seating, they may assign you to sit with other guests. However, you can always ask to be seated at a table for only 3 people. I recommend going to the dining room the first day shortly after you board so you can be towards the top of the wait list if nothing is open.

15 hours ago, lanlubber said:

‘You can call Royal now and ask for a 4 seat table for just the 3 of you.  Then when you get on the ship and get your seas pass card, it will have your table number on it.  Go right to the dining room and find your table.  It will most likely be what you requested, but if not, go to the maitre d and ask for a table for just you guys.  Just don’t wait, because many people will be asking to change tables and if you wait too long, it will be too late.

We have always done My Time Dining and regardless of group size (2-5) we have never been seated with another group (never had to ask for our own table).

Also, we usually pick the same MTD time slot (when possible) and have always been seated in the same table with the same server team every time. I'm not sure if it's necessary, but if we like the table we're seated at the first night, we ask if we can keep that table for the rest of the cruise and they have always accommodated us.

If you vary your dining times too much (MTD), you may have to be seated in another table or section as "your" table may be occupied at that time. If you really do not want to sit in another section and want to stick with the same server team on an evening with that odd time reservation, they will offer you the option of waiting for a table to clear in that section. 

I believe that is more likely to happen with Traditional Dining (seated with others unless you make a request).

On 10/8/2019 at 10:29 AM, lanlubber said:

I recommend that you request a table with others, which you can do on your first night.   That is what we have done on occasion.   Eating with others is one of the benefits of cruising.  Most families eat together at home much of the time, so cruising offers new experiences.  That is my suggestion, but as others have noted, the default is that you would be seated as a single family.

7 hours ago, JohnK6404 said:

Also, we usually pick the same MTD time slot (when possible) and have always been seated in the same table with the same server team every time. I'm not sure if it's necessary, but if we like the table we're seated at the first night, we ask if we can keep that table for the rest of the cruise and they have always accommodated us.

Our last 2 cruises we (2 of us) did My Time Dining at the same time entire cruise. We asked for and given same table, same wait staff. Made it easier for extra tipping at end of cruise. 

1 hour ago, RWDW1204 said:

Our last 2 cruises we (2 of us) did My Time Dining at the same time entire cruise. We asked for and given same table, same wait staff. Made it easier for extra tipping at end of cruise. 

Very true! It's also nice to have the same team as they get to know you and your preferences well and make the dining experience more enjoyable.

Thanks for all the replies.  On an unrelated topic, I saw there was a sale on some of the packages like beverage and dining, but when I go to my cruise planner it doesn't show any discount and I don't recall what the price was before they announced the sale to know if the discount is already factored in.

2 hours ago, lanlubber said:

Thanks for all the replies.  On an unrelated topic, I saw there was a sale on some of the packages like beverage and dining, but when I go to my cruise planner it doesn't show any discount and I don't recall what the price was before they announced the sale to know if the discount is already factored in.

Ignore all the FAKE deluxe beverage package sales ....... if you want it, buy it any time you see it for between $45 and $59 day MAX before gratuity...... then keep looking and if you see it cheaper, cancel and repurchase at the cheaper price ...... I have 8 cruises booked and for many they want $65/day with their so called 30% off fake sale ..... Anything over $59 day is very hard to break even ..... especially if you’ll be in ports many days and won’t be on the ship to drink all day