Flights to Europe/Barcelona

KathyC

Any tips from the world travelers out there?  Starting to price out our flight from EWR to BCN for next May, and some of the options I'm being given are ridiculous - not only in price but routes.  I don't want to fly halfway across the US in the wrong direction, thank you.  LOL  We can be a tad flexible and fly from PHL or JFK if the prices work better.  

Any and all tips appreciated.  

I mentioned this in your identical comment on the Celebrity boards, but will note here for those who ignore that forum -- seriously look at JFK.

It's a PITA to get to, and for a cruise you'll almost definitely want to hire a car service rather than park your own car there. It's an ugly airport and not great to navigate. But...

I've priced two international flights now this year: a flight to Accra, Ghana for my daughter this past summer; and our flight home after the Iceland & Dublin cruise next year. In both cases the flights out of / into JFK cost half of what flights on the same airlines on the same days out of / into EWR cost. I'm talking well over a thousand dollars saved each time, and in the case of the Ghana flight that was on a single ticket.

With that much saved, what's a couple hundred bucks for a limo to get you there in style and comfort?

22 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

I mentioned this in your identical comment on the Celebrity boards, but will note here for those who ignore that forum -- seriously look at JFK.

It's a PITA to get to, and for a cruise you'll almost definitely want to hire a car service rather than park your own car there. It's an ugly airport and not great to navigate. But...

I've priced two international flights now this year: a flight to Accra, Ghana for my daughter this past summer; and our flight home after the Iceland & Dublin cruise next year. In both cases the flights out of / into JFK cost half of what flights on the same airlines on the same days out of / into EWR cost. I'm talking well over a thousand dollars saved each time, and in the case of the Ghana flight that was on a single ticket.

With that much saved, what's a couple hundred bucks for a limo to get you there in style and comfort?

Thanks!  I appreciate the double answers, as you're right the Celebrity boards are often ignored.  My TA just replied to my question and strongly suggests I call Air2Sea like you said.  I'm going to have them not only check JFK, but PHL as well.   

One of my goals once booking season opens up again is to better space apart my cruises, so I'm not paying for so many things at once.  Flights to BCN x 4 on the same credit card as my Summit post-cruise hits.  Sigh.

12 hours ago, KathyC said:

Any tips from the world travelers out there?  Starting to price out our flight from EWR to BCN for next May, and some of the options I'm being given are ridiculous - not only in price but routes.  I don't want to fly halfway across the US in the wrong direction, thank you.  LOL  We can be a tad flexible and fly from PHL or JFK if the prices work better.  

Any and all tips appreciated.  

Does the day of the week you depart make a difference?  We used Air2Sea twice going to Europe, as has been mentioned.  Good luck!

46 minutes ago, ChessE4 said:

Does the day of the week you depart make a difference?

This is a very good point as well. When I was doing my searches, flights seemed to be the most expensive on Friday and Saturday in my searches, less so on Sun / Mon, and lowest on Tue / Wed / Thu. Maybe not enough savings to offset the costs of staying in a hotel and paying for meals on those days, but if you had some plans to stay an extra day or two anyway after disembarking or before embarking, that could help as well.

If it doesn't have to be a non-stop flight, it might be worth looking at TAP Air Portugal via Lisbon or Porto.

Pros: They are a fairly decent airline, just not very well-known yet in the North American market, and they fly from both EWR and JFK. They have recently updated their fleet and trans-Atlantic flights are on new Airbus neo aircraft. The prices are usually very competitive and if your time and budget allow, they offer the option of a free stop-over of up to five days on either your outward or return leg. Also, if it's a one-way flight you're looking for, they do genuine one-way fares.

Cons: Not great on punctuality and they sometimes shoot themselves in the foot with their customer service.

https://www.flytap.com/en-pt/