Traveling with Senior/ Need good mix of easy activites and adventurous stuff for me!

Sharla215

Could use some advise.

I am traveling on Vision of the Seas 12/21/19. 

1. San Juan
  2. Tortola BVI
  3. St Johns, Antigua
  4. Bridgetown, Barbados
  5. Castries, St Lucia
  6. Sea
  7. Punta Cana, DR
  8. Departure day

Will be with my mother/uncle (50s), grandfather (80) and myself (29)

Looking for a good mix of activities that my Grandpa can participate in but I also want to snorkel/Boat ride/hike/drink/beach it up. Any suggestions for excursion that are more city tours in the ports of call I listed? This is my grandpa's first cruise and I dont want to just leave him on the ship every day.

15 minutes ago, Sharla215 said:

Could us some advise.

1. San Juan
  2. Tortola BVI
  3. St Johns, Antigua
  4. Bridgetown, Barbados
  5. Castries, St Lucia
  6. Sea
  7. Punta Cana, DR
  8. Departure day

Looking for a good mix of activities that my Grandpa can participate in but I also want to snorkel/Boat ride/hike/drink/beach it up. Any suggestions for excursion that are more city tours in the ports of call I listed? This is my grandpa's first cruise and I dont want to just leave him on the ship every day.

Does he have any mobility issues?  Maybe he can do a bus tour in each port, and you all can take turns who goes with him, while the others do the snorkel/boat ride/hike/drink/beach it up excursions.

Log into your cruise planner and see what's offered for your sailing.  I haven't been to Tortola or St. Lucia so not much help there.  Our trip to the DR we did a mangrove boat excursion. Antigua we enjoyed a quiet beach day and Barbados we did a flood/drink/island tour and that was fun. 

I know this sounds kinda lame for the younger and more adventurous members of your family, but when we go to a new port, we always do a “familiarization” tour.  It’s just a generic, guided tour that includes local highlights. I usually really enjoy doing this.  As KathyC said, some of you can rotate doing these tours with your Grandpa.  You are so fortunate to be able to go on a cruise with your grandfather.  Cherish this time together.  

29 minutes ago, KathyC said:

Does he have any mobility issues?  Maybe he can do a bus tour in each port, and you all can take turns who goes with him, while the others do the snorkel/boat ride/hike/drink/beach it up excursions.

Log into your cruise planner and see what's offered for your sailing.  I haven't been to Tortola or St. Lucia so not much help there.  Our trip to the DR we did a mangrove boat excursion. Antigua we enjoyed a quiet beach day and Barbados we did a flood/drink/island tour and that was fun. 

He can’t walk for long periods of time. Have to check into the bus tour options in each location. I am also interested in those type of activities to learn about the islands.

Will make sure he checks with his Dr. pre cruise to see what activites are ok. Perhaps he can join a snorkel tour and just hang on the boat. 

1 hour ago, Sharla215 said:

He can’t walk for long periods of time. Have to check into the bus tour options in each location. I am also interested in those type of activities to learn about the islands.

Will make sure he checks with his Dr. pre cruise to see what activites are ok. Perhaps he can join a snorkel tour and just hang on the boat. 

You may want to look at an accessible boat tour to do with him.  Check your cruise planner now and see what's available, those tours can sell out fast.

15 hours ago, Sharla215 said:

Could us some advise.

1. San Juan
  2. Tortola BVI
  3. St Johns, Antigua
  4. Bridgetown, Barbados
  5. Castries, St Lucia
  6. Sea
  7. Punta Cana, DR
  8. Departure day

Instead of spending hours on Cruise Planner, go there once and download the brochure for study later.  The table of contents has a column for restrictions and difficulty level.

2 hours ago, ChessE4 said:

Instead of spending hours on Cruise Planner, go there once and download the brochure for study later.  The table of contents has a column for restrictions and difficulty level.

What a great hack. Did not even know you could do this. Thanks!

On 10/8/2019 at 8:44 AM, ChessE4 said:

Do you have a link for that, or is it something you can access from Cruise Planner?

19 hours ago, MaryCS62 said:

Do you have a link for that, or is it something you can access from Cruise Planner?

You go through the Cruise Planner, although it takes a little digging to find the link - I think the font is a light color or something.  The brochure is based on a particular cruise/sail date.

Other than that, you can always search for cruises by port and then select a link for excursions.  That isn't the same thing, though.