Mike's Pastry - Boston

YOLO

For our OCT 24th Anthem sailing our first port stop is Boston, MA.  Here we are looking forward to spending time in Boston's North End.  Hopefully, we will have lunch on Hanover Street and then off to Mike's Pastry [https://www.mikespastry.com/].  Everyone says they have the best cannolis in all of the US.  So my question is: can I buy a box of Mike's pastries and take them back onto the ship?  The line at Mike's are usually out the door and accompanied by a lengthy wait, so I really don't want to waste my time there if I'll have a problem when I get back to the ship.

The only policy I could find is below.  But the real question is how strict are they?  Anyone have any insight?

image.png.ec7c93d3b2fba503ae40e0ac854c1d44.png

Image result for mikes pastry boston box

We brought them back on the ship with no issues.  We also brought back donuts from The Holy Donut in Portland, Maine. 

And a live lobster back from Bar Harbor, Maine (kidding..kidding!)

The only time we had an issue was in Cozumel with some pastries we had purchased at the supermarket that were in a brown paper bag.

The cannolis were not that great after sitting around after a day, though.  Much better the day you buy them.

2 hours ago, spiralqueen said:

While you are up there I highly recommend also getting some from Modern Pastry. From what I remember when I lived there years ago, Modern was more of a local favorite vs tourists liking Mike's.

I agree with this 100%.  It's like going to Pat's or Geno's for a cheesesteak in Philly.  It'll make an interesting shot for your Instagram story, but in reality you're spending a LOT of extra time in a long line with a bunch of tourists for a product that on their best day is merely comparable to where the locals know to go.

2 hours ago, spiralqueen said:

And really, in a cannoli taste off, I think you are the real winner. 

And I agree with this 1000%.  ? 

We went here.. and to the place across the street - wish I remembered the name - but they filled the pastries while you were there so they  were not soggy when we got them.  BUT.. the plan was to bring them to the ship - hmmm...... they didnt make it! ?  I ate the last ones in the Lyft on the way back to the ship.  So my add to this - buy more than you think you need if taking back to the ship!

Thank You All !!!

@BunnyHutt I really like the idea of trying a chocolate mousse cannoli!  I will be looking for this.

@spiralqueen & @USCG Teacher & @KenCP

OK, I checked out the Modern Pastry website.  Their pictures of the ricotta pie and the italian macarons look amazing!  Thanks for this tip.  I want to go there too.  Last year we cruised into La Baie Canada and randomly came across a bakery that had awesome macarons much cheaper than on our ship (NCL Dawn).  I'm guessing these will be even better.  I can't wait - 17 days to go...

10 minutes ago, ptod said:

I would have to walk back to the cruise port after sampling all this pastry goodness!!!

We have to be in Boston in early November for work and I made the mistake of googling how far away from these bakeries we will be.  I didn't dare actually look at the websites as I am trying to stay on the straight and narrow path before our January cruise and this is NOT HELPING!!!!!  :4_joy:

Note to self:  stop clicking on threads with "Pastry" in the title.

@MattCasey We were thinking of doing the 2.5 hour North End pizza walking tour through Little Italy (3 slices from 3 different pizza restaurants plus historical sites).  Do you think this would be a good way to spend our time?  We will be there on Saturday (10/26) and the tour starts at 11AM.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/AttractionProductReview-g60745-d11454365-North_End_Pizza_Walking_Tour_with_Bonus_Admission_to_Old_North_Church-Boston_Massac.html

Also, we are looking to go to lunch mid-afternoon to sample the best meatballs in Boston.  Any idea where that would be?

Thanks in Advance...

And lastly, we will be picking up some of these Italian Macaroons from Modern Pastry...

image.png.42e9bf571b36faaf7e90767c4d06f09b.png

1 hour ago, Jayreb84 said:

We will be in Boston the day before and day after our upcoming 7 night cruise (10/20)  So far the only thing plan is the freedom trail and tour the ball park. any ideas would be helpful. we are staying near the airport but will use lyft/uber to get around.

Have you ever been to Boston?  What are the hours your ship will be in port?  On the 10/26, the Anthem will be there from 7AM to 7PM giving us lots of options.

Like others have said, I would stay in the downtown Boston area (ie, no trips to Salem, Gloucester, Martha's Vineyard, etc).  If you are a baseball fan and have never been to Fenway, you should try to fit that in.  I have never been to the North End, so I really want to go there this time.  If you get a chance to squeeze in a stop to Faneuil Hall you should go there.  You are sure to find something to sample even if you aren't hungry.  If you are a history buff you have to walk at least a part of the Freedom Trail.  It is very popular.

I was on anthem for spring break this year.  Went to Bermuda and Boston, which was sort of an odd itinerary. There were some complaints in the cruise critic message board and the facebook group for my cruise by other passengers about not being able to bring the pastries onboard. 

The Boston cruise port was doing security screening, not the ship. It was apparently port security that intercepted the cannolis. 

might be safest to eat them on land and not bring back to the ship. Cannolis get soggy quickly anyway. 

I’m on the Anthem right now - security coming back to the ship was EXTREMELY strict. Anyone with any pastries was told (loudly)  to either get out of line and eat them or throw them away. People were trying to eat cannoli and Boston cream pies as fast as possible. It was not a happy scene.

FYI - this was the Boston port security - not Royal’s....

53 minutes ago, heffy2 said:

@YOLO, I'm SO glad you asked these questions! I'll be on the same sailing with you, and only have plans in Boston in the AM. Now I'm definitely going to check out Modern Pastry. Thanks!

+1 on the thanks to @YOLO for starting this thread.  Because of this thread, our day in Boston is also going to start with a visit to Modern Pastry!  Then a walk to Freedom Trail to burn off the calories lol.

1 hour ago, heffy2 said:

@YOLO, I'm SO glad you asked these questions! I'll be on the same sailing with you, and only have plans in Boston in the AM. Now I'm definitely going to check out Modern Pastry. Thanks!

GREAT!  Hope your enjoy this Anthem cruise and especially Boston.  Ceil and I will be going to Modern Pastry for sure to purchase those Italian Macaroons.  I'll let you all know if we can "smuggle" them on-board!  Hope so...

And for the record we have reservations for Tony & Elaine's to try those award winning meatballs!  https://www.tonyandelaines.com/

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

+1 on the thanks to @YOLO for starting this thread.  Because of this thread, our day in Boston is also going to start with a visit to Modern Pastry!  Then a walk to Freedom Trail to burn off the calories lol.

NO not me - thanks to everyone who provided all of this great information.  And my original question was answered.  I will not be buying Mike's Pastry and attempting to bring it back on-board!

@Lovetocruise2002  Enjoy your day in Boston!  I will be doing the same - walking off those calories just like you...