Gathering Info on Celebrity

ncnickel

No group like RCBlog that I'm aware of for Celebrity. There is a Celebrity-specific forum on Cruise Critic, but they're a bit more... cantankerous... at times than the folks here. I guess they don't have as many nice Canadians on that forum to help keep things mellow. ?

You can also take a look at @monorailmedic's various articles about Edge (including a live blog from last December) over on cruisehabit.com. You can also subscribe to the Cruise Habit podcast and listen to episodes 9, 10, and 11 for their review of Edge and detailed discussion of the Eden space.

I have cruised with RCL for a long time. Due to a family cruise, we are going to take our first Celebrity (Silhouette) cruise next year. I have also been looking for an information forum on Celebrity but it's pretty scarce. They have a FaceBook page that is mostly advertising and there is a Cruise Critic forum but that's about it. I have also watched You Tube videos. For being a pretty large cruise line and sister to RCL, there is an amazing lack of information on Celebrity.

1 hour ago, kontraxed said:

For being a pretty large cruise line and sister to RCL, there is an amazing lack of information on Celebrity.

Not being snarky here, but I do think the fact that for a very long time Celebrity was mainly the province of retirees and other older cruisers has kept them from getting large online communities like we have here. Certainly plenty of such people to join such a community, but few with the know-how (or likely desire) to get one started, beat the drum about it and build an audience, etc. As Celebrity works to push the average age of its passengers down to folks in their mid- or upper 40s and early 50s, there will be a similarly enterprising soul like @Matt who will come along, who loves the line enough, and has the time and energy to get a dedicated community going.

I mean, take a look at Royal -- lots of small Facebook groups for individual ships or sailings, and the forum on Cruise Critic; but RCBlog is the only dedicated online community I've found for Royal, that has such an active and growing community focused exclusively on Royal.

Even in the podcast space, Matt's is the only one I've found dedicated to Royal at all (and I was searching a lot when was getting ready to book my first cruise). Out of the ones I found that I thought were worth subscribing to, Cruise Dudes is more generalized with a slant toward Princess, because that's where they live (and I stopped listening to them a while back). @monorailmedic's Cruise Habit podcast is also more general-knowledge based, because Billy loves all things cruising / has an amazingly rich personal history with it and wants to share it all. Cruise Radio is yet another source of general info.

Something may come up eventually, but for now this forum and the one on CC are probably the best options.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2019 at 11:24 AM, ncnickel said:

Hey!

I have LOVED RoyalCaribbeanBlog. I wonder whether there are similar resources dedicated to Celebrity? We're sailing on the Edge (booked through MEI Travel - THANKS STEPHANIE!!!!) and want to figure out the tips and tricks for it like those we've gathered for RCC.

I came upon this tonight - while no where near as awesome as what Matt does here, it's a start: https://cruisingoncelebrity.com/ 

I've sailed Celebrity numerous times while growing up. I am actually an Elite member on Celebrity, which is why I am Diamond on Royal Caribbean. I do have to say that I always preferred Royal to Celebrity, even when I was young. Adventure Ocean was much more enjoyable than Celebrity's kids program.

I did sail Celebrity last year to Alaska, for the first time in 9 years. Here are some takeaways:

I definitely noticed the staff cater more to the older crowd than Millennials. I think it is why my parents always prefer Celebrity.

The MDR food seemed more upscale and the buffet had more options than Royal. The buffet had a nice ice cream station with toppings, panini station, stir fry, pasta, etc. everyday and always had themes for lunch and dinner, more so than Royal.

Entertainment was lackluster. While the actors and actresses are very talented, the shows were mediocre.

Fun facts: Celebrity has a tour of the galley/kitchen for free. The room stewards put chocolate on your pillows every evening.

I hope you have a great time on the Edge. Definitely hoping to check Edge or Apex out one day.

On 10/18/2019 at 11:41 PM, KathyC said:

I came upon this tonight - while no where near as awesome as what Matt does here, it's a start: https://cruisingoncelebrity.com/ 

Looked through it. Unfortunately that blog hasn’t been updated since May of this year, when the owner promised one blog post a week after not posting for 6 months. I have to assume the site is more or less dead at this point. ?

On 10/26/2019 at 9:44 AM, JLMoran said:

Looked through it. Unfortunately that blog hasn’t been updated since May of this year, when the owner promised one blog post a week after not posting for 6 months. I have to assume the site is more or less dead at this point. ?

It isn't the easiest to navigate, I'll say that much for it.  I found it through another site, the person who runs it posted a link to their very recent sailing, in September.  If you click on the "Follow Us Live" under the Bering Sea & Japan Transpacific Cruise, it will bring you to their live blog on CC, where they are still answering questions.  

Definitely not Matt - but it's something in the sea of nothingness out there...LOL 

@ncnickel and @WhiteSoxFan 

I have been on Edge and it was amazing.  You will love it.  I was able to get one of the 3 night preview sailings when she was brand new before her first official maiden voyage. It just went to Nassau which I have visited numerous times so I never set foot off the ship so I could enjoy the experience.  We stayed in an infinite verandah room and we enjoyed it.  It had some differences to balcony room on a Royal ship.  Anyway, if you have any questions or want me to describe anything further let me know.  The recent Celebrity cruise review that Kathy posted recently is very good info about a Celebrity cruise in general but I could answer specific questions or provide my experience specifically about Edge.